Premium Passholder 20% -- GONE

CJR

I dream of a day when instead of trying to make more money off of less people, TDO will attempt investing in their products so that they can make more money off of more people. I know some people will stop me here and say "Disney does invest in their product", but the truth is, they do just enough to have something to put on posters for marketing. They could toss some dollars to fix things like the Tree of Life or Splash Mountain, but they don't. Instead they raise their prices and slash discounts as a way to tell their shareholders that their parks are making more than they were a year ago. Too bad the shareholders don't ask for attendance figures.

Disney can only raise and cut so much, someday they're going to run out of room. What then? Hopefully the new management coming will bring value back into the Walt Disney World product.

menamechris

reduction in discount, but how long til an increase in price? I don't really see the benefit of a premium pass now, I wont be renewing this year, when you compare what Disney are doing to the building action going on at Universal, poor Mickey doesn't have much to offer me now I can't get my pins reduced. I'm not that fussed on a 100 minute line for a Mermaid or to meet Belle in a glorified school play.

I see no benefit at all. They need to add something significant (beyond water parks and a golf trail) to making it worth it for me anymore. When my pass expires this spring, I will not be staying at the premium level. I am even considering giving my pass a break until something significant opens at one of the parks. The special renewal rate won't recoup the amount I would save from take months (a year?) off....

evilzorac

My families AP's expire in March (over 15 years w/passes). We are taking a trip MLK weekend and then one more time in early March and that is it. I have purchased Uni AP's and for the foresable future we wil be going there with a side trip to SW. WDW doesn't value me as a FL resident customer so then they will not get my money.

menamechris

Instead they raise their prices and slash discounts as a way to tell their shareholders that their parks are making more than they were a year ago. Too bad the shareholders don't ask for attendance figures.

Disney can only raise and cut so much, someday they're going to run out of room. What then? Hopefully the new management coming will bring value back into the Walt Disney World product.

Very true, but I am sure the powers that be are looking at it from a strategic business/numbers on a spreadsheet point of view. "If we raise prices $X.XX, then that will reduce capacity, thereby increasing profit while reducing our operating expenses..." What they don't seem to be calculating into that equation is how effed their guests are starting to feel by the company. Disney has always had a reputation of screwing the tourist coming and going. It has been a joke in Orlando since 1971. But there was no denying that a quality, premium product was delivered. But now, Disney is finding a way to screw guests AND them off by coming up short on expectations.

Bolna

I am wondering whether one of the reasons for the PAP discount for DVCers wasn't that Disney is already seeing a slowing in AP sales - and possibly DVC bookings. I guess they are counting on that many people once they got an AP will want to renew and this way they could win lots of new AP holders.

ParentsOf4

I am wondering whether one of the reasons for the PAP discount for DVCers wasn't that Disney is already seeing a slowing in AP sales - and possibly DVC bookings. I guess they are counting on that many people once they got an AP will want to renew and this way they could win lots of new AP holders.
I believe the $300 PAP discount was to try to lure DVC members back into the parks. Disney knows what DVC members are doing with their points and they see a disturbing trend. DVC members are spending fewer days in the parks.

For example, I have 3 DVC trips booked for 2013 and am planning to spend exactly 2 days at WDW theme parks. There's just so much to do in Orlando and WDW theme parks no longer offer the value they once did. Disney prices have gone insane in the last 7-8 years, quality has declined, and the theme parks have pretty much the same attractions they had 5 years ago. My family spent a lovely 2 hours in the "New" Fantasyland and has no yearning to return.

Now maybe after they open phase 2 of the Harry Potter expansion at DHS ........ Oh wait, wrong theme park.:)

asianway

I believe the $300 PAP discount was to try to lure DVC members back into the parks. Disney knows what DVC members are doing with their points and they see a disturbing trend. DVC members are spending fewer days in the parks.

For example, I have 3 DVC trips booked for 2013 and am planning to spend exactly 2 days at WDW theme parks. There's just so much to do in Orlando and WDW theme parks no longer offer the value they once did. Disney prices have gone insane in the last 7-8 years, quality has declined, and the theme parks have pretty much the same attractions they had 5 years ago. My family spent a lovely 2 hours in the "New" Fantasyland and has no yearning to return.

Now maybe after they open phase 2 of the Harry Potter expansion at DHS ........ Oh wait, wrong theme park.:)
A piece may also be too many people were doing exchanges with DCl, DL, or AbD- and they weren't able to recover the dollars by renting them out. Discounting the AP entices more people to use the points at the DVC resorts

Longhairbear

A piece may also be too many people were doing exchanges with DCl, DL, or AbD- and they weren't able to recover the dollars by renting them out. Discounting the AP entices more people to use the points at the DVC resorts
I can see this happening, we haven't used our DVC in FLA for 2, going on 3 years. We use it at DL, and DCL. And we didn't buy the discounted PAP. We stopped buying AP in FLA more than a few years ago.

openendedsky

Hey BwanaBob Disney buys plush dolls for .50 a piece and sells them for $18 to $23 that is a minimum of a 3600 percent markup. They and their stock holders don't care who buys it as long as they make their money. That 10% discount does not in any way effect the huge profits they make per item. You should look up the term fraud because you obviously have know idea what that is.
Most businesses have a fairly large markup, but 3600% is a bit exaggerated. Do you ever buy popcorn when you go to the movies? I mean, seriously. It's all in the same.

And if they already have a supposed 3600% markup, and have been increasing prices across the board 20%, then alienating a loyal fan base for a 10% increase in profitability makes little sense.

And logic has arrived.

openendedsky

I can't help but think DIsney is foolishly playing into Universal's plan. Universal knows that beyond their one-day ticket (which always keeps pace with Disney), their rates are extremely reasonable. Annual passes are kept at a reasonable level, their passholder discounts are good, and they have huge projects that will certainly bring a leap in attendance - and will soon be able to stay onsite for a reasonable price.

Universal already has the market on locals in Central Florida. You are hardpressed to find a family living in Orlando who doesn't have an annual pass to Universal. Disney, not so much - they have priced out the locals - and continue to show that they have little interest in guests satisfaction or loyalty - they are only interested in the buck they can make off of you today.

With flex pay, not necessarily. Granted 40 a month isn't exactly cheap, but I've already been four/five times in three weeks. I've been thinking about letting my universal pass go-not because it's not a good deal, but the only person who also has a pass is my brother, and when we go we almost never ride rides because he generally wants to go when it winds up being very busy.

menamechris

With flex pay, not necessarily. Granted 40 a month isn't exactly cheap, but I've already been four/five times in three weeks. I've been thinking about letting my universal pass go-not because it's not a good deal, but the only person who also has a pass is my brother, and when we go we almost never ride rides because he generally wants to go when it winds up being very busy.

I think monthly payments are Disney's last ditch effort to truly attracted tourists. Most local families do not see the value of $150-$200 or more a month unless they are big Disney fans. Universal pioneered the monthly plan model years ago in Orlando, but it worked because they were primarily looking to attract college students and couples - as opposed to families. For a single individual, it's a steal. For a family, it's a serious financial investment any way you pay it.

openendedsky

I think monthly payments are Disney last ditch effort to truly attracted tourists. Most local families do not see the value of $150-$200 or more a month unless they are big Disney fans. Universal pioneered the monthly plan model years ago in Orlando, but it worked because they were primarily looking to attracte college students and couples - as opposed to families. For a single individual, it's a steal. For a family, it's a serious financial investment any way you pay it.
Fair point, and any themepark is going to profit much more from a family than from just me, or my boyfriend and I.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
I asked for and was refunded the price difference of a PAP and an AP because of the discount reduction and in part because I did not purchase it until late December. Part of the entire reason I purchased them was for the added discount, we typically spend more than $600 per trip on store merchandise and it was worth the extra upfront costs because I saved more after a visit or two.

I was told that part of the reason was a few guests routinely abuse their discounts to in-turn resell DisneyWorld items online for less than Disney sells them, and they were making a profit. Rather than modify the Passholder agreement and shut these people out, they reduced it for everyone. I have watched "sellers" sit with laptops/iPads in DTD puchasing $20,000 worth of WDW merchendise, then use their PAP to get a 20% discount. I blame both Disney and those that abuse their discounts for our loss as a whole, the sellers for abusing the discounts and Disney for not revoking them when abuse is detected, the World of Disney store had dedicated castmembers actually running around pulling items for him!!!

lazyboy97o

I was told that part of the reason was a few guests routinely abuse their discounts to in-turn resell DisneyWorld items online for less than Disney sells them, and they were making a profit. Rather than modify the Passholder agreement and shut these people out, they reduced it for everyone.
Because despite what Disney says, Efficiency is the king of the Keys. Easier to cut the discount than deal with undesirable activity.

Rook26

Has anyone actually written to Disney to complain? I posted my letter today!

I wrote to them and this is the response I got:

Dear Mr. Candido,

Thank you for contacting us regarding the Walt Disney World® Resort. We
appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts regarding the
recent change to the Walt Disney World Passholder merchandise discount.

From time to time we evaluate our discounts and offers for annual
passholders and make adjustments. In addition to admissions benefits,
there are a variety of discounts offered to annual passholders. A
complete list of benefits and offers, including discounts on dining,
sports and recreation, resorts and tours and experiences can be found at
Disneyworld.com/Passholder.

Mr. Candido, our Passholder’s feedback is very important to us. We
apologize for your disappointment and genuinely appreciate the time you
took to share your thoughts with us. We look forward to entertaining
you at our resort in the future.

Sincerely,

Rebecca Valentine
Guest Experience Services
Walt Disney World Resort

Did I mention my passes are premier? I don't feel so "premier".

menamechris

Ahhhh...I do love the guest services form letters. Looks like they took out the standard "Walt" reference though. I guess nothing is safe from being cut anymore...

JimboJones123

Original Poster
I asked for and was refunded the price difference of a PAP and an AP because of the discount reduction and in part because I did not purchase it until late December. Part of the entire reason I purchased them was for the added discount, we typically spend more than $600 per trip on store merchandise and it was worth the extra upfront costs because I saved more after a visit or two.

I was told that part of the reason was a few guests routinely abuse their discounts to in-turn resell DisneyWorld items online for less than Disney sells them, and they were making a profit. Rather than modify the Passholder agreement and shut these people out, they reduced it for everyone. I have watched "sellers" sit with laptops/iPads in DTD puchasing $20,000 worth of WDW merchendise, then use their PAP to get a 20% discount. I blame both Disney and those that abuse their discounts for our loss as a whole, the sellers for abusing the discounts and Disney for not revoking them when abuse is detected, the World of Disney store had dedicated castmembers actually running around pulling items for him!!!

Haha Haha. Disney is upset at selling $20k of merchant at only a 250% markup instead of a 300% markup.

Does anybody at this company do math?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom