Premium Passholder 20% -- GONE

Figment82

You guys are making me sad with all this talk about DL's food. On my trip there last month, I think I was more excited about the food options than the attractions!

And I know we're comparing CS, but Carnation Cafe = happiness. Especially when Oscar is making the rounds.

asianway

Don't say that too loud of they might stop allowing us to bring food and beverages into WDW like most other theme parks.
They should. People bringing in their own food results in higher prices for all and shuttered locations.

If you can't afford the food you have no business at WDW

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Flo's puts all WDW CS food to shame.

The only thing that came close was The Land's former Farmer's Market. Man, that place used to be awesome.

Yes it was indeed - Living in a farm community we have 'real' farmers markets but the one at the Land was always a favorite and captures the flavor of a farmers market without the chickens and livestock running about!

MissM

Well that's just rude. It's like saying if you can't afford to stay on property you have no business at WDW.

And why does it have to be about money anyway? I can think of dozens of reasons why someone might bring their own food from preference (hello? the past 12 replies or so have all been about the distinct LACK of variety and selection and quality at WDW!), to dietary restrictions (allergies, diet, religious exclusions, etc.) to simply not liking the food. What is it your business if someone wants to bring their own food or drink? :rolleyes:

There's no reason to even remotely think that hordes of unwashed, undeserving masses bringing their own drinks or snacks is closing restaurants at WDW. See the 6-month reservation requirements for many places in the parks or the chaos of peak meal times at any quick service location for proof.:banghead:

PhilharMagician

They should. People bringing in their own food results in higher prices for all and shuttered locations.

Huh? People bringing food does not have anything to do with higher prices or shuttered locations. :banghead:

Disney shuttered locations simply so they did not have to man them. Corporate management has no concern that you and your paying family has to stand in line at lunchtime for 1/2 hour at a CS restaurant to get a $10.00 burger and then try to find a seat. They are sitting in their office having corporate lunch meetings :rolleyes: discussing how to squeeze more money out of operations.

I am not sure how to even comment on the "If you can't afford the food you have no business at WDW" statement except to say you are an a$$.

asianway

Huh? People bringing food does not have anything to do with higher prices or shuttered locations. :banghead:

Disney shuttered locations simply so they did not have to man them. Corporate management has no concern that you and your paying family has to stand in line at lunchtime for 1/2 hour at a CS restaurant to get a $10.00 burger and then try to find a seat. They are sitting in their office having corporate lunch meetings :rolleyes: discussing how to squeeze more money out of operations.

I am not sure how to even comment on the "If you can't afford the food you have no business at WDW" statement except to say you are an a$$.
And you are not facing reality. If every one of the 16 million people visiting the MK ate there instead of bringing bologna sandwiches for their little snowflakes "dietary needs" they would be forced to open the closed locations and even open new ones.

Disney is going to make their margins one way or another. Losses from bringing in outside food will result in higher prices from those who pay.

PhilharMagician

And you are not facing reality. If every one of the 16 million people visiting the MK ate there instead of bringing bologna sandwiches for their little snowflakes "dietary needs" they would be forced to open the closed locations and even open new ones.

Disney is going to make their margins one way or another. Losses from bringing in outside food will result in higher prices from those who pay.

Reality is that right now with people bringing in food and beverages into the MK and other parks there is not nearly enough places to supply guests with their needs without waiting in lines and these lines can be excessive at times. Some if not all of the closed locations should already be open to ease the crowding.

Disney is demanding high prices because they can and most people are willing to pay the price. Being corralled into a theme park Disney has the advantage and can demand the price. The prices Disney charges guests has absolutely nothing to do with someone bringing in a bottle of water of a PB & J.

Using that philosophy, I have to assume that the food and beverage prices will be going down this year? Since the attendance for WDW is going up and more people are buying food at both CS restaurants which are very busy and the TS restaurants that you cannot get a seat at unless you reserve 6 months in advance. Hopefully ticket prices will go down since the park attendance is up.

prberk

What a rediculous thing to say. Walt Disney World, and especially the Magic Kingdom, is among the most insular places to visit and eat at on the planet. It is a chore to bring in food, especially for hotel guests. The nearest non-Disney fast food is miles (and a monorail or boat ride on top of that) away. And if you are a hotel guest and you bring in a sandwich, you probably bought the bread in their overpriced resort "Sundries" shop or "trading post." There is no easy way to refrigerate food for a day visitor, either.

The fact is that most food is bought on Disney property in some form or another; but the comparatively little that is brought in does not hurt their bottom line as much as turning away these guests altogether would.

I do understand that you should not plan a WDW vacation if you cannot afford it, but I do think your comment about not belonging there if you can't afford the food sounded very snobby, and ill-informed.

I do know people with peanut and other allergies that would rather just bring their own food. To me that means, at least they get to come (and pay admission that they otherwise would not get to pay).

asianway

What a rediculous thing to say. Walt Disney World, and especially the Magic Kingdom, is among the most insular places to visit and eat at on the planet. It is a chore to bring in food, especially for hotel guests. The nearest non-Disney fast food is miles (and a monorail or boat ride on top of that) away. And if you are a hotel guest and you bring in a sandwich, you probably bought the bread in their overpriced resort "Sundries" shop or "trading post." There is no easy way to refrigerate food for a day visitor, either.

The fact is that most food is bought on Disney property in some form or another; but the comparatively little that is brought in does not hurt their bottom line as much as turning away these guests altogether would.

I do understand that you should not plan a WDW vacation if you cannot afford it, but I do think your comment about not belonging there if you can't afford the food sounded very snobby, and ill-informed.

I do know people with peanut and other allergies that would rather just bring their own food. To me that means, at least they get to come (and pay admission that they otherwise would not get to pay).
Apparently you don't see the roller coolers I see every time I go to the MK. Either that or you're part of the problem

tirian

You must not be an English major
Actually, that is my first degree. That's what I get for posting around 1 am!!! :banghead: :banghead: :arghh:

(I could've sworn I saw "[their] food.")

Anyway...

I understand what you're saying, and the rolling coolers are obnoxious, but the prices rose in response to the free DDP offers, which destroy food costs every few months.

Disney has become even more proactive with those offers, offering them nearly year-round to foreign guests and certain regions within the U.S.

Plus, as someone who lives here and frequents the restaurants often, I've seen many well-heeled guests balking at the prices—most recently a family staying in GF club level. People who understand $$$ value and have no problem eating at Ruth's Chris get upset at $7.99 hot dogs.

Of course, they're not going to roll their ice chests around there. ;)

Last edited:

lobelia

I would not mind paying higher prices if the food measured up. I have never had an issue with table service meal value, but I will not pay what they ask for a quick serve meal. Despite being able to afford it I would rather grab an apple and granola in the parks. That saves room for ice cream bars. It is everyday decisions like this that allow me to afford trips and extras.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Actually, that is my first degree. That's what I get for posting around 1 am!!! :banghead: :banghead: :arghh:

(I could've sworn I saw "[their] food.")

Anyway...

I understand what you're saying, and the rolling coolers are obnoxious, but the prices rose in response to the free DDP offers, which destroy food costs every few months.

Disney has become even more proactive with those offers, offering them nearly year-round to foreign guests and certain regions within the U.S.

Plus, as someone who lives here and frequents the restaurants often, I've seen many well-heeled guests balking at the prices—most recently a family staying in GF club level. People who understand $$$ value and have no problem eating at Ruth's Chris get upset at $7.99 hot dogs.

Of course, they're not going to roll their ice chests around there. ;)

Precisely, The problem is at Disney we are getting Olive Garden food (frozen pre-cooked) at Ruth Chris prices and that's not good value, We are DVC so we get a 1BR and eat in a lot of times most of us are light eaters so no heavy cooking and we save a huge amount of money doing so.

These days we do Teppan Edo, Biergarten Hoop-de-doo and Luau and that's it for us.

We eat out at good restaurants fairly often and I travel for business and entertain customers so I know what a good restaurant should deliver in quality and cost for the most part these days DIsney does not deliver, What is sad is they USED to.

bugsbunny

Disney should get rid of all water fountains while they are it. The leeches, i.e. guests, should be buying it for $4 a bottle.

And while they are at it, get rid of the buses. Just think how it would swell the corporate coffers if everybody had to pay $14 to park rather than a free bus ride.

Sell spots at the curb for parades!! Just think how much more we can nickel and dime the guests!!!!

LaughingGravy

I've been to a lot of resorts and NFL games within the last couple of years and I ain't seen much worse. I know they're making less merchandise sales because every time I'm at the world I strike up conversations with strangers (some interesting and strange opinions too...I've thought about writing things down and then doing a trip report just based on what people said though I have a slight paranoia that someone who reads the boards will read it and be angry Maybe I could start convos with, "so do you read WDWmagic"). My family is talking about spending more money on travel this summer and going to Cali. On our recent trips we've gone to IoA and SW and I know we're not alone in spending more time off property. I've been going to WDW for 40 years and for the first time in my life I hesitate on recommending it. Really, the ball is in Disney's court. They can up the value of the resort again or not.

There's a theme park in the southern part of Indiana (Holiday World) where you get free Pepsi products and suntan lotion all day. It's a huge draw.
Go to DL. You will not be disappointed!

LaughingGravy

Between 2006 and 2010, I visited WDW around 10 times and DLR 1 time. in 2011 I visited WDW 5 times. In 2012, I visited DLR 3 times and WDW 1 time. And I have had no real desire to go back to WDW. I live in New York. I hate long flights. I'm going to DLR again in February, and my flight to LA was $275 round trip on JetBlue...and I hate JetBlue. But DLR is a much more satisfying experience...and I don't even stay at a Disney-owned hotel!
I hate to fly commercial. I hate EWR (northern NJ resident), but if I am going to bother with a commercial flight, I would much rather spend the extra time on the plane (cost is comparable with a little advance notice and shopping)to get to CA and go to DL. If I fly into the zoo that is LAX, it's just about as close as MCO, travel wise. If I fly int John Wayne (orange county), it's even better.
At DL, I can stay at a very nice off site hotel and walk into the park without paying a parking fee on top of everything else, for essentially the same price.
The only thing extra is really the time required to get to CA, for a higher quality product with less travel time once there to get to anything..plus they have single rider lines for most things! Even if I park on site at DL, which I have done, it's short minutes to walking into either park vs. a 1/2 hr or usually more once on property at WDW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom