Power Ranger leave just as Marvel moves in

Spike-in-Berlin

No offense, but you are incredibly wrong. The Marvel characters exists in many forms, some are family appropriate, and some are not. I personally think a meet and greet with Iron Man, Capt. America, and Thor could TOTALLY work at Hollywood Studios.

The only reason people think they don't fit is because they currently aren't IN the parks. But just like The Twilight Zone, Aerosmith, Indiana Jones, The Muppets, and various other properties that 'Didn't Fit" at the time, at some point in the future we will think of the Marvel Heroes and Villains as being a part of the house of mouse.

I am not convinced, sorry.
Indiana Jones is an archetypical adventurer, not a superhero. Twilight Zone has no superheroes in it but is a mixture of HM and a thrill ride with ordinary peoples and Rod Serling, not exactly of of place. Aerosmith are a music band in a rollercoaster and the muppets are puppets that do funny and humorous acts. I don't see any similarity to a typical marvel superhero, sorry. I already found these power rangers were a major insult to DHS (I believe he is spinning faster in his grave than M:S-centrifuges), incredibly stupid and cheap.
And perhaps this is a question of someones personal taste but I know most of the classic marvel comic heroes quite good. I don't believe they fit into any Disney-created environment, they were quite the opposite of Disneys art and style of animation.

The Power Rangers were one of the best MeetnGreets at the Studios, if not the best. Nice to have characters interact with the guests.

And I'd rather not read a thread where people bash my childhood. :(

danstadnik

The Power Rangers were just part of a long, odd series of characters who have been in MGM/DHS over the years... Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Ace Ventura, Doug, Star Wars characters (on select weekends only?!?!)...
DHS's theme is basically "If it relates in ANY way to Hollywood, and people wanna see it, put it in here." And in a lot of ways, I'm cool with that.

While I'm glad to see the Power Rangers gone, I absolutely don't want the Marvel characters in any Disney park. If I want to see them, I'll head to Universal. But it's probably just me.

bferrara16

Indiana Jones is an archetypical adventurer, not a superhero. Twilight Zone has no superheroes in it but is a mixture of HM and a thrill ride with ordinary peoples and Rod Serling, not exactly of of place. Aerosmith are a music band in a rollercoaster and the muppets are puppets that do funny and humorous acts. I don't see any similarity to a typical marvel superhero, sorry. I already found these power rangers were a major insult to DHS (I believe he is spinning faster in his grave than M:S-centrifuges), incredibly stupid and cheap.
And perhaps this is a question of someones personal taste but I know most of the classic marvel comic heroes quite good. I don't believe they fit into any Disney-created environment, they were quite the opposite of Disneys art and style of animation.

Obviously you are entitled to your opinion (and I'm sure this has already been argued on these boards ad nauseum, so I'll limit to just this post), but the only reason you give for Marvel superheroes not belonging in DHS is that there is nothing else like them there. Doesn't seem like a sound argument, unless you like to see duplicates of the same exact thing around the park. I agree you can't have something that's totally out of place, but variety is what will make the park interesting. And if DHS concentrates on what is going on in Hollywood, you can't argue that Iron Man, Spider-man and the X-men haven't been influential in the past few years (certainly moreso than Twilight Zone or Aerosmith). I also agree with whomever it was (I think it was OP) that said they'd like to see the Disney version of these characters, because the costumes in Uni look like the ones you can buy in the stores. Shame that the contract (as I understand it) makes this all a moot point.

PS - for a major Hollywood commodity these days, Iron Man is WAY under-utilized in IOA. Just sayin.

MarkTwain

I agree with everyone else here that the Power Rangers never belonged at Hollywood Studios, and at a larger scale, never belonged with Disney.

In regards to the OP's question, I think it's probably no coincidence that the selling of the Power Rangers came soon after the purchase of Marvel. The Power Rangers were a brand which, however weakly, would appeal to young boys, and provided a new revenue stream to Disney accordingly. Now that Disney has Marvel, and has their merchandise in the parks (a more recent development), Disney has the attention of that same demographic, times 10. So they sold off a brand they didn't need anymore, and probably didn't want that badly in the first place, and made some money in the process.

And we're happier for it. :) Win-win-win.

erasure fan1

I have to say that I have always thought the power rangers seemed a bit to cheap to be in Disney. They never really had that Disney feel. I know A LOT of kids love them but Im glad they are gone.

As for the Marvel characters, I think it will take a while for them to fit in and be accepted as Disney because of the Universal association. I for one say bring on a few meet and greets **coughnightcrawlercough** let the association fade a bit Universal, then E-ticket Iron man or x-men attraction.:D I think that as long as they stay at the studios and they are not plastered all over the other parks (and I dont think they will) I am fine with marvel in Disney.

Fractal514

I am really confused by your argument. You seem to just be against superheros. Does this mean that The Incredibles wouldn't fit in the park I mean, after all they are superheros made by a company that Disney owns.

You say Aerosmith is a music band on a Roller Coaster and Muppets are Puppets that do funny acts and that somehow justifies them? Your argument just doesn't hold water. You've made very weak rationalizations for why certain things fit and given no specific argument for why a character like Capt. America or Thor would NOT fit into the park.

The Marvel Characters WILL one day be in the parks, maybe not for 20 years, but they are too popular not to be used. It seems to me that you either just HATE marvel characters and don't want to see them in the park, or you are one of those folks that can't disassociate them with Universal and don't want to "cross the streams." In any event, you are entitled to your opinion, but don't try to pass it off as a logical reason with logic or a reason.

marihalfen

Power Rangers were one of my secret guilty pleasures at the Studios. I hate to admit, but I loved them... I guess it's just because they were big when I was a kid back on the 90's and like someone said, they would really interact with the guest. I have like a dozen crazy pictures with them.
Now that they left, I would love to see some Marvel Heroes over there, not only in meet and greets, but in atractions and maybe even restaurants. They fit perfectly on Streets of America!

MarkTwain

Power Rangers were one of my secret guilty pleasures at the Studios. I hate to admit, but I loved them... I guess it's just because they were big when I was a kid back on the 90's and like someone said, they would really interact with the guest. I have like a dozen crazy pictures with them.
Now that they left, I would love to see some Marvel Heroes over there, not only in meet and greets, but in atractions and maybe even restaurants. They fit perfectly on Streets of America!

You're not the only one. A lot of my college-age friends post Disney World albums to facebook from their most recent trip, and there's always at least one of them posing karate-style with the Power Rangers at the Studios. I think there's sort of a retro-cool, "this was big when we were growing up" vibe. I always found that interesting.

Bender!

I'm a bit sad to see them go, probably because I grew up for them, but I'm more excited to see if there will be Marvel Meet-and-Greets

VoiceGuy07

The Power Rangers were one of the best MeetnGreets at the Studios, if not the best. Nice to have characters interact with the guests.

And I'd rather not read a thread where people bash my childhood. :(

Have to admit, the family had a blast with the Power Rangers. There was always a line to get pictures and autographs. Maybe it's just the fact that our son grew up with them and we've seen plenty of the shows too.

Our last Christmas picture was with all of the Power Rangers at DHS. Loved it! Although I understand if it's time to move on - change is a good thing!

DisneyWorldDork

Original Poster
Personally, I don't see why they can't keep both. I almost you know what myself when i walked into the Disney Store and saw the wall of just original power rangers stuff, including the Original MegaZord. But I guess since they don't own them for much longer maybe it won't be 40 bucks anymore lol

I'd love to see them bring the original Power Rangers out for a like the last two months they have them. I don't see why they wouldn't seeing as they're selling original Power Ranger merch in the shop next to the Monsters Inc MeetnGreet and in front of LMA.

But then again I realized I'm getting older when an eight year old looked at the original ranger merch and asked his mom who they were! :lookaroun

SNS

Not so much anymore since no new series are going to be aired here.

No after Disney cancelled the series, Haim Saban bought the rights & is now going to air a 18th season in 2011 on Nickelodeon. Also the previous 700 episodes are going to air on NickToons.

Susannah

Leave it to the Power Rangers to be the reason why I stopped lurking and finally registered....

Love the Rangers or hate them (I'm firmly in the love them category,) if they're being pulled it's because they'll be replaced with something else. I've always been part of an anxious crowd of kids (and adults) waiting for their photo op with the Rangers, and that means they were still entertaining. From a business stand point, you don't cut something that entertains unless you have something planned to divert the crowds.

Logically, Marvel has something to do with it. It's a perfect replacement in the perfect place. Does that mean anything? Not really. Does it means there are no other options besides the heros? Nope. But something will show up right after the Rangers leave.

trr1

No after Disney cancelled the series, Haim Saban bought the rights & is now going to air a 18th season in 2011 on Nickelodeon. Also the previous 700 episodes are going to air on NickToons.
I like the sound of that. maybe they can get rid of all the cartoony(carpy) stuff
that disney did to the original series

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom