Power Ranger leave just as Marvel moves in

Evil Genius

No after Disney cancelled the series, Haim Saban bought the rights & is now going to air a 18th season in 2011 on Nickelodeon. Also the previous 700 episodes are going to air on NickToons.

That must've went down after the last press release I saw. I'm glad to hear it though!

cheezbat

I like both the Power Rangers and the Marvel Superheroes. Question is, will we REALLY see them in the parks soon? Especially with Universal using them over at Islands of Adventure?
Personally, I'm more of a DC Comics superheroes guy. Batman, Superman, the Green Lantern...love them! I hate that Six Flags has a grip on them ,and NOBODY in Florida gets to see them. They to me would have fit better with Disney over the Marvel gang.

lebeau

I like both the Power Rangers and the Marvel Superheroes. Question is, will we REALLY see them in the parks soon? Especially with Universal using them over at Islands of Adventure?
Personally, I'm more of a DC Comics superheroes guy. Batman, Superman, the Green Lantern...love them! I hate that Six Flags has a grip on them ,and NOBODY in Florida gets to see them. They to me would have fit better with Disney over the Marvel gang.

No, you won't see Marvel characters at WDW any time soon.

Yes, I agree DC would have been a better fit for Disney if they were not already owned by Time Warner.

Chux

I'm telling you there must only be like 5 "20 something year olds" here. MMPR was huge when I was growing up, now I only watched the series up to zeo when it aired but I imagine as more kids were growing up, more kids were watching the new stuff. You don't go 700 episodes if you're a "Flash in the Pan".

Were the rangers the BEST fit for Disney? Maybe not. Did they get myself and a whole mess of other people to line up whenever we were in the Studios and we knew it was time? Heck yes.

I don't know what's next, but I don't know how some of the posters here can go along just murdering the images of my childhood heroes (DC, Marvel, MMPR) by saying they have no place in a theme park, I would have done anything to see them when I was young and easily fooled by the magic.

BTW I did this as nicely as I could. Some people just seem to have never had super heroes as a part of thier childhood routine.

Also: The Incredibles are just a modified Fantastic Four, but I guess they have no place in Disney.

Evil Genius

I'm telling you there must only be like 5 "20 something year olds" here. MMPR was huge when I was growing up, now I only watched the series up to zeo when it aired but I imagine as more kids were growing up, more kids were watching the new stuff. You don't go 700 episodes if you're a "Flash in the Pan".

Were the rangers the BEST fit for Disney? Maybe not. Did they get myself and a whole mess of other people to line up whenever we were in the Studios and we knew it was time? Heck yes.

I don't know what's next, but I don't know how some of the posters here can go along just murdering the images of my childhood heroes (DC, Marvel, MMPR) by saying they have no place in a theme park, I would have done anything to see them when I was young and easily fooled by the magic.

BTW I did this as nicely as I could. Some people just seem to have never had super heroes as a part of thier childhood routine.

Also: The Incredibles are just a modified Fantastic Four, but I guess they have no place in Disney.

:sohappy:

I couldn't have said this better myself!

I'm 35, but I'm more than aware of the pop culture significance of MMPR. I'll concur they were an odd fit for Disney, but they took a gamble and I think to a certain degree it paid off. Now it's time for them to go their seperate ways.

Each generation has their heroes. Children of the 90's simply had the Rangers...nothng wrong with that!

Chux

I just thought of an acceptable replacement for the Rangers at the studios. Darkwing Duck's(Oh no, he's modeled after Batman what will we do, get these heroes out of my park!!!) monthly comic series kicks off very soon. Have a Meet And Greet with DW, LP, Gosalyn and for the kids who like to root for the badguys Negaduck and Megavolt.

Also AGREED! and make that six "20 something year olds"! :D

Jasmine89

Compltely agree with Chux I am one of those 20 year olds who grew up with the MMPR watching it religiously every saturday morning. But i still wouldn't mind if they changed them with the Marvel characters since i'm a huge fan of those superheroes as well.
That's my opinion anyway.

UberPlannerMom

I just thought of an acceptable replacement for the Rangers at the studios. Darkwing Duck's(Oh no, he's modeled after Batman what will we do, get these heroes out of my park!!!) monthly comic series kicks off very soon. Have a Meet And Greet with DW, LP, Gosalyn and for the kids who like to root for the badguys Negaduck and Megavolt.
Wait- they are going to start doing something with Darkwing Duck again? I loved him when I was a kid... and talespin... and ducktales.... and well all of the disney cartoons that actually looked like disney cartoons!

DDAY

I get the whole lets fit into kids tastes nowadays but I would have never figured I would have seen anything but Disney characters at the Parks.

munkgirl

The Power Rangers were a flash in the pan here in the U.S. They had/have no business being in DHS any longer.
I say bring is some tried-and-true super heroes if there absolutely has to be a super hero presence in the parks.

I wouldn't say they were a flash in the pan. I watched them when I was a 1st grader... about 17 years ago. That was the original American version that was half repurposed footage from the japanese version (we didn't know that at the time).

So, forgive me if I don't see 17 years as being a "flash in the pan", when you realize that Little Mermaid, Aladin, Lion King and Beauty and the Beast all came out around that same time. Sure, they will stick around in the parks, but mainly because they are a Disney property. Power Rangers isn't.

Holy crap I'm defending Power Rangers on the internet. I need to get back to work.

Evil Genius

I wouldn't say they were a flash in the pan. I watched them when I was a 1st grader... about 17 years ago. That was the original American version that was half repurposed footage from the japanese version (we didn't know that at the time).

So, forgive me if I don't see 17 years as being a "flash in the pan", when you realize that Little Mermaid, Aladin, Lion King and Beauty and the Beast all came out around that same time. Sure, they will stick around in the parks, but mainly because they are a Disney property. Power Rangers isn't.

Holy crap I'm defending Power Rangers on the internet. I need to get back to work.

You make a valid valid point though.

Might Morphin Power Rangers and every incarnation since it first came stateside was hardly something you could call a "flash in the pan".

With 17 years worth of television

Massive merchandise sales

Multiple video game on multiple platforms

It was a long standing phenomenon. Granted their time in DHS was odd...but while Disney had the rights it made sense to capitalize on their popularity.

munkgirl

Wait- they are going to start doing something with Darkwing Duck again? I loved him when I was a kid... and talespin... and ducktales.... and well all of the disney cartoons that actually looked like disney cartoons!

This is how rumors get started :ROFLOL:

I highly doubt they will resurrect any of those guys. I'd rather see some themed streetmosphere stuff, similar to what goes on over near Hollywood and Sunset boulevard. I've always found Streets of America to be the most boring part of DHS.

Or else have some "movie characters set lose", like in The Great Movie Ride. Gangsters, newsies, swing dancers, whatever "period" or 'setting" characters you'd like that match the area. They'd pop up for 2 or 3 minutes every hour or so, almost like a flash mob. Take over the area and then disappear back into the set. Like ghosts from old movies haunting the old "sets". (Not literally ghosts, I'm getting poetic here.)

Disneyfan1981

Marvel Superheroes have been part of childhood experiences since the 1960s, I don't see how people can say they don't belong in DHS. Indiana Jones no matter how you try to justify it is filled with things that a lot of parents groups protest. Star Wars, Twilight Zone all could be protested as not appropriate for children and someone else turn around to justify it as alright. The Superhero Squad is one of the most popular cartoons on Cartoon Network and little kids love it, those are the heroes they are experiencing and seeing them at DHS would be truly special for guests for all ages.

I hope that they figure things out with Universal soon and get the heroes into DHS and in other parts of the park. Just like people scream blasphemy at Pixar and at Star Wars and some purists at anything that wasn't created by Walt, there will always be folks who say "XYZ" doesn't fit but luckily Disney isn't so shortsighted.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom