Potential updates to Avatar Flight of Passage

_caleb

Everest is one of the best themed rides at WDW. Hagrid's over at USO is also definitely not something you can experience at your local 6 flags.

Coasters done right 100% can have the Disney difference
Everest works because it's themed to a train, and trains have tracks.
Hagrid's is great, but it's themed to magical flying motorbikes; the tracks actually contradict this theme.

celluloid

I haven't been on POTC Shanghai, but from videos I'd think Flight of Passage is more thrilling.

Of course it's relative to an extent, and I wouldn't call FoP the most thrilling ride, but I don't think most people would consider it a calm attraction either.

I think Flight of Passage is about as intense as a family accessible (40 inch height requirement and most grandparents of health can withstand it) Simulator can be due to the dropping sensation it provides.

celluloid

Hagrid's is great, but it's themed to magical flying motorbikes; the tracks actually contradict this theme.
Suspension of disbelief will always be required. I would have seen the benefit of making it indoors for show control reasons and certainly weather vs reliability but flying through the landscaping including a small forest of trees is awesome. Disney never attempted to hide plenty of things for the same reasons, asking an audience for suspension of disbelief.

_caleb

Suspension of disbelief will always be required. I would have seen the benefit of making it indoors for show control reasons and certainly weather vs reliability but flying through the landscaping including a small forest of trees is awesome. Disney never attempted to hide plenty of things for the same reasons, asking an audience for suspension of disbelief.
I agree about flying through landscaping-it' really great!

I get it, rollercoasters are fun. But in my opinion, coaster tracks–even on well-decorated courses–are lazy imagineering and poor show. And I want WDI to continue pushing for better alternatives rather than giving them a pass for assembling what amounts to another third-party ride kit and then trying to decorate it and call it "themed."

dennis-in-ct

How about the Shanghai Pirates ride system for a new Pandora ride :) !
We can travel under the water.
This ride system was rumoured to come to WDW and that AK, EPCOT and Studio were battling it out to see which park would acquire it.
It's been awhile since I have heard that chatter. Wonder if it's still in the works or was dropped.

celluloid

I agree about flying through landscaping-it' really great!

I get it, rollercoasters are fun. But in my opinion, coaster tracks–even on well-decorated courses–are lazy imagineering and poor show. And I want WDI to continue pushing for better alternatives rather than giving them a pass for assembling what amounts to another third-party ride kit and then trying to decorate it and call it "themed."

Agreed. But other than putting them in the dark nothing is ever rarely done thus far. I see the track on those clearly at many parts anyway.
I honestly think Universal is going to do this the best soon with the DK coaster. That design has the visible track purely for show, which allows for some neat elements. The actual track will be mostly, if not completely hidden.

_caleb

Agreed. But other than putting them in the dark nothing is ever rarely done thus far. I see the track on those clearly at many parts anyway.
I honestly think Universal is going to do this the best soon with the DK coaster. That design has the visible track purely for show, which allows for some neat elements. The actual track will be mostly, if not completely hidden.
I was thinking about how you can see the “track” on Radiator Springs Racers and Test Track (themed as a road), and on the Incredicoaster (themed as, well, an old-time roller coaster), on Everest and Big Thunder as train tracks, and on the Matterhorn as a bobsled run. Even Slinky Dog Dash is (poorly, in my opinion) themed (as a toy in Andy’s back yard).

Otherwise, Disney mostly puts roller coasters in buildings to use the dark to hide the tracks.

I like all of these approaches better than a tangle of track that we’re supposed to imagine isn’t there for the sake of the story.

Yeah, I’m interested to see Donkey Kong.

DKampy

How about the Shanghai Pirates ride system for a new Pandora ride :) !
We can travel under the water.
This ride system was rumoured to come to WDW and that AK, EPCOT and Studio were battling it out to see which park would acquire it.
It's been awhile since I have heard that chatter. Wonder if it's still in the works or was dropped.
To me…that would make the most logical sense…especially since I am sure any new attraction would want to include the new movie

NelsonRD

Everest is one of the best themed rides at WDW. Hagrid's over at USO is also definitely not something you can experience at your local 6 flags.

Coasters done right 100% can have the Disney difference

I agree Everest works, and agree a coaster that is done right fits in Disney, but I do not agree that Animal Kingdom, or Disney World as a resort, needs another coaster.

Think about this: Radiator Springs Racers is longer, light years better, and cost half as much as Guardians.

Touchdown

Disney needs a Spider-Man/Transformers ride ie a thrilling dark ride. FoP and Rise is so popular because of how rare it is for that type of ride and intensity.

Centauri Space Station

I agree Everest works, and agree a coaster that is done right fits in Disney, but I do not agree that Animal Kingdom, or Disney World as a resort, needs another coaster.

Think about this: Radiator Springs Racers is longer, light years better, and cost half as much as Guardians.
Yet test track fits Epcot far more

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
While the box office is impressive, it’s underperforming. If this trend continues, we might not see any further Pandora expansions or updates to FOP

Umm... did you read just the click bait title?...
However, realize that in the case of Avatar, it’s all about the low supply and high demand for premium seats, and that’s exactly how people want to see this movie.​
Imax and PLF tickets are driving 32% of Avatar 2‘s ticket sales for Friday/Thursday previews –a very similar share figure to Black Panther: Wakanda Forever (35%) and Spider-Man: No Way Home (32%) at the same point in time. But then, Avatar 2 also has another 31% in ticket sales from 3D theaters (that’s non PLF & Imax venues; no double counting here).​
“With the runtime, people are seeking out the best time and format to see this movie in,” says EVP, Chief Content, Programming & Development Officer Brock Bagby of Midwest chain B&B Theatres about the 3 hour 12 minute running time sequel. It’s one indication that Avatar 2 will have a slow burn at the box office. No Way Home and Marvel movies are front-loaded, and that former uber movie saw a -68% decline in weekend 2. We can’t judge Avatar 2 until we get through New Year’s weekend.

EPCOT-O.G.

Umm... did you read just the click bait title?...
However, realize that in the case of Avatar, it’s all about the low supply and high demand for premium seats, and that’s exactly how people want to see this movie.​
Imax and PLF tickets are driving 32% of Avatar 2‘s ticket sales for Friday/Thursday previews –a very similar share figure to Black Panther: Wakanda Forever (35%) and Spider-Man: No Way Home (32%) at the same point in time. But then, Avatar 2 also has another 31% in ticket sales from 3D theaters (that’s non PLF & Imax venues; no double counting here).​
“With the runtime, people are seeking out the best time and format to see this movie in,” says EVP, Chief Content, Programming & Development Officer Brock Bagby of Midwest chain B&B Theatres about the 3 hour 12 minute running time sequel. It’s one indication that Avatar 2 will have a slow burn at the box office. No Way Home and Marvel movies are front-loaded, and that former uber movie saw a -68% decline in weekend 2. We can’t judge Avatar 2 until we get through New Year’s weekend.
Yes. And I also see that it's underperforming other films released in the pandemic era. I'm highly skeptical this film will see the returns it was expecting, but then that's been par for the course for a lot of Disney-released films (live action and animation) over the last two years. It seems the markets generally agree - the stock has now dropped below its five-year low, which was during the absolute bottom of the pandemic.

EricsBiscuit

The track on Hagrid’s is non diegetic. It requires you to use your imagination. It is easily the best ride in Orlando, definitely the best coaster (with Velocicoaster as a close second).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom