Potential Major Hurricane Idalia Possibly to Impact Central/Northern Florida 8/29

jlhwdw

I feel like after the parks closed for COVID there is a greater chance they may close, even if just for a half day, for storms they would have stayed open for in the past. There is a much greater emphasis on employee safety/concern in the current world, and I do feel like there is more scrutiny of a business requiring their employees to come in during an event like a Tropical Storm, even if it was just ordinary business in the past. Three and a half years later I still honestly can't believe the entire Walt Disney World Resort faced a closure of more than 100 days back in 2020. However, because of that, I do feel like a 1/2 day or one day closure for a storm they would have 'powered through' in the before times may have more probability.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Original Poster
1693231154633.png

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
... but the refusal to have something that looks like swirling clouds on a cake is odd.
Not when you consider the human proclivity for self-destructive behavior. People in hurricane impact zones routinely die while attending hurricane parties, and Publix's refusal to aid and abet, or even potentially stimulate such behavior is to be applauded and rewarded.

Meanwhile, residents from New Orleans to Mobile are looking at the calendar, and the latest forecast maps, and are heaving a big sigh of relief from their "Not again!" shudders.

Ayla

For people visiting in the next few days, keep in mind all infrastructure could be/will be impacted. If evacuations are ordered, contra flow could be in effect, which will close major roads into some metro areas. Airports will definitely be affected/closed, as well as gas stations and grocery stores.

DisneyCane

I don't like that projected intensity has increased seemingly daily from tropical storm to cat 1 to cat 2 to cat 3. Idalia is currently projected fly through the Gulf but anything currently unprojected could slow it down and further intensity. In 2021 with Hurricane Ida 48 hours out projections were 120 mph winds (mid cat 3) and Louisiana ended up hit with 150 (strong cat 4, 7mph from cat 5). That's just a reminder that projections are still works in progress and that hopefully folks in harms way prep for worse and end with a storm that fizzles out before landfall.

Also, Idalia is a weirdly similar name to Ida. Ida was the 6th costliest in US history and thus retired as a name. I would have guessed they'd come up a different name for Idalia.
I really wish they would avoid the intensity projections for more than a couple of days out. Maybe replace it with a "we expect it to be at least Cat 1 in intensity" or something like that. Historically, "they" are pretty bad at predicting intensity several days out. The way they do it leads to people thinking they don't have to prepare because it will only be a cat 1 or whatever and then suddenly start panicking when the forecast changes and they are running out of time.
I would avoid this gas if you live in Florida because it may contain diesel. . .

I will never understand the rush to buy gas. If you aren't in an evacuation zone or don't intend to evacuate then why do you really need gas. I doubt many people plan to syphon their car to fuel a generator. If you have a gas powered generator, fill several 5 gallon containers at the beginning of hurricane season, put fuel stabilizer in them and then use the gas in your cars in December if you didn't need it for a generator.

Everybody running out for gas creates major issues for people in critical industries (healthcare, first responders, etc.) who need to be able to get to work in the days following a storm. How would somebody like it if they couldn't get treated at the ER because they filled their tank for no reason other than to not have anxiety over their tank being full?

John park hopper

I'm visiting my sons and grand kids in Gulf Breeze FL and yes breathing a sigh of relief it's not coming here and looks to be going off shore of Charleston SC (home) as a tropical storm. Upper west coast of FL better take this seriously latest it will be a major hurricane when it makes land fall. Gulf waters are hot would not be surprised if this doesn't turn into something very bad ---hope not

DisneyCane

Not when you consider the human proclivity for self-destructive behavior. People in hurricane impact zones routinely die while attending hurricane parties, and Publix's refusal to aid and abet, or even potentially stimulate such behavior is to be applauded and rewarded.

Meanwhile, residents from New Orleans to Mobile are looking at the calendar, and the latest forecast maps, and are heaving a big sigh of relief from their "Not again!" shudders.
Please post a link to the statistics on people dying at hurricane parties.

Also, if somebody is going to host or attend a hurricane party they will do so regardless of what a cake looks like. Publix "aids and abets" people dying of lung cancer by selling cigarettes. They "aid and abet" people driving drunk and killing people because they sell alcohol if you want to take things to ridiculous conclusions.

Not one hurricane party will cease to exist because Publix doesn't sell a specific "hurricane cake."

celluloid

I would agree with that if it made sense of causation from a cake. As Hurricane Parties where anyone is doing anything unsafe should be frowned upon.

But you know, not selling alcohol during a State of Emergency would be the best and route that matters for that? Furthermore, drunk driving and intoxication related deaths are far worse than just self destructive. If we could pull up data I imagine most parties had alcohol involved in their dangers rather than cake. I bet some did not even have cake at all but indeed had alcohol.

What data do we have of people dying of Hurricane Parties that may have featured a cake with a hurricane on it?

I think it is more a sign of social media age. People make funny cakes and post pictures to share on the internet. Publix does not want any backlash.

Last edited:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
For people visiting in the next few days, keep in mind all infrastructure could be/will be impacted. If evacuations are ordered, contra flow could be in effect, which will close major roads into some metro areas. Airports will definitely be affected/closed, as well as gas stations and grocery stores.
Too early to know exactly where the storm is going and where impact will be, especially for Orange county. They could get some wind and rain and that's it, particularly if the storm drifts even 30-40 miles to the west. No sense at all for inducing panic with posts like that. Keep an eye on conditions and be prepared, absolutely. Talk about evacuations and contra flow and closing of roads and airports near Orlando 3 days out for a storm forecast to make landfall near the panhandle? I'm sorry, that's just asinine.

And for the record, I know people down there right now, so I have more than a passing interest in where the storm goes.

celluloid

I will never understand the rush to buy gas. If you aren't in an evacuation zone or don't intend to evacuate then why do you really need gas. I doubt many people plan to syphon their car to fuel a generator. If you have a gas powered generator, fill several 5 gallon containers at the beginning of hurricane season, put fuel stabilizer in them and then use the gas in your cars in December if you didn't need it for a generator.

At the very least, convenience. Many people will still have to go to work and run errands. If the power is out at the pumps in your area, it is a good idea to at least have a full tank within your car.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
I really wish they would avoid the intensity projections for more than a couple of days out. Maybe replace it with a "we expect it to be at least Cat 1 in intensity" or something like that. Historically, "they" are pretty bad at predicting intensity several days out. The way they do it leads to people thinking they don't have to prepare because it will only be a cat 1 or whatever and then suddenly start panicking when the forecast changes and they are running out of time.

I hear you but early forecasts can create expectations and that expectations change. Agree that's it's tough when expectations they start saying more intensity, but the same panick would instill whether hearing for time closer to landfall or just hearing a change. I think what needs to change is that early projections should be taken more conservatively and folks should be prepping for a storm 2-3 levels higher than projections "just in case."

Applied to Idalia I'd hope people started prepping as soon as Friday when stuff about the storm made its way in the news (and same day monothingie started this thread as a heads up).

As for gas for essential workers after the storm, some gas stations are closed for exclusive use by first responders. Those working for hospital systems, police, etc are told where they can fill up. Everyone else waits in long lines, and I think that's fair enough.

Ayla

Too early to know exactly where the storm is going and where impact will be, especially for Orange county. They could get some wind and rain and that's it, particularly if the storm drifts even 30-40 miles to the west. No sense at all for inducing panic with posts like that. Keep an eye on conditions and be prepared, absolutely. Talk about evacuations and contra flow and closing of roads and airports near Orlando 3 days out for a storm forecast to make landfall near the panhandle? I'm sorry, that's just asinine.

And for the record, I know people down there right now, so I have more than a passing interest in where the storm goes.
Apparently, you misread my post. Advising people infrastructure (airports, roads, trains, etc) will be impacted across the northern portion of the state by a potential Cat 3 hurricane is common sense. It shouldn't even have to be said ~ but here we are...

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Apparently, you misread my post. Advising people infrastructure (airports, roads, trains, etc) will be impacted across the northern portion of the state by a potential Cat 3 hurricane is common sense. It shouldn't even have to be said ~ but here we are...
Apparently I didn't get "in the northern portion of the state" out of "if you are visiting".

Lilofan

I hear you but early forecasts can create expectations and that expectations change. Agree that's it's tough when expectations they start saying more intensity, but the same panick would instill whether hearing for time closer to landfall or just hearing a change. I think what needs to change is that early projections should be taken more conservatively and folks should be prepping for a storm 2-3 levels higher than projections "just in case."

Applied to Idalia I'd hope people started prepping as soon as Friday when stuff about the storm made its way in the news (and same day monothingie started this thread as a heads up).

As for gas for essential workers after the storm, some gas stations are closed for exclusive use by first responders. Those working for hospital systems, police, etc are told where they can fill up. Everyone else waits in long lines, and I think that's fair enough.
The ones who drive EVs will be challenged since when the power goes out no place to charge your Tesla.

Lilofan

Everybody running out for gas creates major issues for people in critical industries (healthcare, first responders, etc.) who need to be able to get to work in the days following a storm. How would somebody like it if they couldn't get treated at the ER because they filled their tank for no reason other than to not have anxiety over their tank being full?
Everyone running out to get gas before the storm before the pumps run dry is exactly what many do.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Nobody knows exactly where it will go but Ocala/Marion Co. aren’t “the northern portion of the state.” West of Orlando where many CMs live isn’t “northern.”
Thus my statement about "if the storm drifts 30-40 miles to the west". I'm not new to this. I was there for all of Ian last year. I know people and CM's who have lived in and around Orlando for years.

Brian

There's very recent precedent for significant track shifts. Ian was supposed to hit the big bend of Florida and within 24 hours, hit near Fort Myers. Anyone from the Gulf Coast to the Atlantic Coast should be paying attention to this storm and make preparations.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom