Potential Major Hurricane Idalia Possibly to Impact Central/Northern Florida 8/29

Gringrinngghost

As I recall, at this point (48 hrs out) Ian was predicted to hit Tampa, and then it started shifting south. Tampa airport closed, my son packed up and headed here, and then it missed him.
Yep.

1693261852265.png
1693261816318.png

jpeden

In the Parks
No
So...this has kind of thrown a major wrench into my wife and I's plans for our 10th anniversary. Our original destination was to be Saint Simons Island, GA but that's pretty much off the table at this point. Our resort has said they aren't sure if they'll be operating but we can go ahead and cancel if we want to do so. Now, I don't think they'll be operating as Irma came through in 2017 as a TS and knocked out power to the island and flooded the causeway so you couldn't even get on the island.

We THOUGHT we'd go to Disney World instead because we wouldn't leave until Thursday morning and arrive around 2PM on Thursday to Orlando but now I'm somewhat concerned the thing will take a southern turn and we'll end up with two cancelled 10th Anniversary trips if we do that.

SaintsDisneyFan

So...this has kind of thrown a major wrench into my wife and I's plans for our 10th anniversary. Our original destination was to be Saint Simons Island, GA but that's pretty much off the table at this point. Our resort has said they aren't sure if they'll be operating but we can go ahead and cancel if we want to do so. Now, I don't think they'll be operating as Irma came through in 2017 as a TS and knocked out power to the island and flooded the causeway so you couldn't even get on the island.

We THOUGHT we'd go to Disney World instead because we wouldn't leave until Thursday morning and arrive around 2PM on Thursday to Orlando but now I'm somewhat concerned the thing will take a southern turn and we'll end up with two cancelled 10th Anniversary trips if we do that.

If anything the track has taken a more north/west turn. Appalachicola could get impacted far more than expected and with that the impacts could go away from Orlando. Very little chance there's a last minute turn, the models just aren't showing that.

Where are you coming from? Orlando and WDW by and large should be fine by Thursday.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
As I recall, at this point (48 hrs out) Ian was predicted to hit Tampa, and then it started shifting south. Tampa airport closed, my son packed up and headed here, and then it missed him.

From what meteorologists are saying, they don't expect any major shifts in direction.

jpeden

In the Parks
No
If anything the track has taken a more north/west turn. Appalachicola could get impacted far more than expected and with that the impacts could go away from Orlando. Very little chance there's a last minute turn, the models just aren't showing that.

Where are you coming from? Orlando and WDW by and large should be fine by Thursday.

We'd be coming from Athens, GA - we would take 75 through Macon and down through Valdosta and then through Gainesville. That part I guess could be a bit dicey depending on the path though?

LAKid53

Premium Member

None of the models are predicting a southern turn. The issue will be roads and flooding.

LAKid53

Premium Member
We'd be coming from Athens, GA - we would take 75 through Macon and down through Valdosta and then through Gainesville. That part I guess could be a bit dicey depending on the path though?

If you're driving down on Thursday, you should be okay. The NHC show Idalia in southern South Carolina early Thursday AM.
213151_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

Gringrinngghost

Does it ever strike you as amazing that we can sit at a screen and watch this unfold in the best data available?
Not really, I have a few friends who are Hurricane Hunters, I beyond here I am talking extensively with other meteorologists I know. The more amazing thing that I've done was pull data off weather satellites myself with hardware that was less than $30.

This is from 2018:
2018_09_13_LRPT_10-47-53.s_122.jpg

You should be fine, as the main steering force will be a front that will collide with the storm and steer it out to the Atlantic.
2023-08-28 19_20_49-lrgnamsfcwbg.gif (4000×3000).png

JoeCamel

Or you could jump in with both feet and see if you can get to 10 cancelled trips within the year?

jpeden

In the Parks
No
None of the models are predicting a southern turn. The issue will be roads and flooding.

Yeah we would be all I-75/Turnpike until we got to WDW. Unfortunately based on that track I don't believe our trip to the Georgia coast is going to be feasible. The storm is most likely going to roll into that area as a hurricane.

Parteecia

Water can be stored for short term use in a thoroughly cleaned, empty milk jug, 2L soda bottle, etc. It doesn't have to be purchased, and be used for cooking even longer as long as it can be boiled.
"1. Wash the storage container with soap and rinse completely with water.
"2. Sanitize the container with a solution made by mixing 1 teaspoon of unscented liquid household chlorine bleach in 1 quart (4 cups) of water. Use bleach that contains 5%–9% sodium hypochlorite. ..."

"Add 8 drops or a little less than 1/8 of a teaspoon of 5-9% unscented household bleach to 1 gallon water. For cloudy rap water use 16 drops ..."

LAKid53

Premium Member
Yeah we would be all I-75/Turnpike until we got to WDW. Unfortunately based on that track I don't believe our trip to the Georgia coast is going to be feasible. The storm is most likely going to roll into that area as a hurricane.

The map.shows Idalia hitting southern Georgia as either a Cat 1 or 2.

As long as there's no flooding on I-75 or near exit 267B (or is it A) for 429 on the Turnpike, you'll be fine.

When Ian came through last September, the Turnpike was closed at the point due to flooding. But just for a day.

LAKid53

Premium Member
"1. Wash the storage container with soap and rinse completely with water.
"2. Sanitize the container with a solution made by mixing 1 teaspoon of unscented liquid household chlorine bleach in 1 quart (4 cups) of water. Use bleach that contains 5%–9% sodium hypochlorite. ..."

"Add 8 drops or a little less than 1/8 of a teaspoon of 5-9% unscented household bleach to 1 gallon water. For cloudy rap water use 16 drops ..."

Or go on Amazon and purchase a water pocket thingy for your bathtub. Includes a pump.

WaterBOB Bathtub Storage Emergency Drinking Water Container, Comes with Hand Pump, Disaster and Hurricane Survival, BPA-Free (100 Gallon) (1 Pack) https://a.co/d/j1l86be

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom