PotC mist screen removed/turned off for good

N2dru

Hope this is true. BTW, we visited Disneyland for the first time a little over a year and a half ago and their POTC is VASTLY superior to the WDW version. As is just about every attraction in that park (over its WDW counterpart).

Really? I mean they have the bayou scene and extended caverns but after that they are exactly the same. Oh I forgot the shoot out and the long chug up the waterfall at the end. Which in my opinion breaks the illusion. I've been on both versions and honestly MK evokes a better atmosphere than DL with the Caribbean fort queue and dungeon. I still can't for the life of me understand how we go from a Louisiana bayou to a Caribbean town at DL. At least at the MK you start off in the Caribbean. IJS

Last edited:

The Duck

So is the beginning of them slowly taking out the movie references?
If Jack Sparrow/Depp is out of any movie reboot plans, and the reboot is successful, it’s inevitable that the character will be less and less relevant over time and will be removed from the attraction.
Of course, it may take 50 years for him to be removed but good things come to those who wait.

Tick Tock

I personally thought the movie additions complimented the ride.

I'm probably a hypocrite for saying that, because for other classic rides, I'd be the first to preach why they should be left alone and in their original form (HM, Jungle Cruise, etc.) Pirates, however, I thought it worked nicely with the movie tie-ins.

Though if we end up losing Sparrow and company someday in the future, I probably won't lose too much sleep over it either. We'll always have the movies. We'll always have the ride. A pirates' life for me.

David1111

Pirates is an enormous IP, and while internationally they lately have been doing better, that's because domestically people prefer better films than simply the action that foreign markets demand. That's why the first and second were so successful. Disney should actually leverage it. The additions have only hurt the original and totally separate Pirates ride, and have done zero to leverage the IP. In a 'dumb' guest mind they go on the Pirates ride and think it's the same thing, but when you begin to separate them, and treat them as separate entities and are mind blown after you get off of Shanghai's Pirates (which could reside in HWS), people will make a point to come back. The cost isn't even that bad considering how large the capacity is and how ridiculously good it is. It's a better investment than wasting money on cutting projects that people won't return for.

I mean the last Pirates made ~$800M with a 29% on Rotten Tomatoes, and it was in fact pretty bad. Sure, most of that's overseas, but that doesn't mean people don't like the franchise anymore, it's just why would consumers waste their money on a bad product? They need to bank on their writing and not on Jack Sparrow for their reboot, and clone Shanghai's Pirates, raking in the dough with perfect timing, them both opening mere months apart to build hype for one another.

Shanghai Pirates man oh man; doesn't Disney get that people will tell other people how amazing it is?

Anyway, no reason why Jack Sparrow can't be played by different people ala James Bond or other franchises, or even if they don't use him there's a lot in the universe to explore. The main problem is just poor writing except for the epic first and some decent things in the second and third.

If Disney is so for synergy it's time they start making big scale rides for B&TB, Pirates, Jungle Book, Lion King, Alice in Wonderland, Peter Pan, Inside Out, Coco, Finding Nemo, The Incredibles... why haven't these rides been built? From a business standpoint, it's inexcusable, and there are opportunities for most of these to be properly placed in the current parks in Orlando, and many could fit in the Disneyland Resort.

Especially B&TB, Lion King, and Pirates need stateside rides ASAP. There's literally no reason those rides aren't being cloned (B&TB & Pirates) or built. Disney is losing potential revenue. I mean how long has it taken for them to leverage Marvel? Just a random IP like Avatar blew up AK; people can tell themselves whatever but it's successful because it was billed as a new land. TRON Lightcycke Powerrun will do the same for the MK, and while they might have cult followings, the general public is what makes something very successful. Potter is what you get when you combine an enormous IP with a spectacular product. We could easily see huge increases in these parks if they add these.
I don't see how a decade long plan like this wouldn't be their priority #1.
Animal Kingdom
Original ride for Dinoland to replace Dinorama (Dinosaurs are an IP in themselves)/Lion King Land/Jungle Book Ride (not perfect placement but those are harder to place).
Hollywood Studios
Pirates (high capacity, water ride, all ages, extravagant)/Indiana Jones/Wakanda Land (I don't know if Black Panther is included in the Avengers property)/Incredibles/The Muppets C-ticket (a lesser IP so a really good fit for this level at this park)... they have options
Magic Kingdom
B&TB
EPCOT Center
Inside Out/Coco/Figment (basically an IP)/Get more pavilion sponsors throughout the park

They are underusing their super popular old IPs too like Ariel, new IPs like Frozen, and are late to the game with so many more. People go to Tokyo specifically for the Pooh ride, they don't at Disney World because it's mediocre (compare to really good C-tickets like Alice over in Disneyland), and because it's not an E. Pooh is an enormous franchise in different ways than box office (like Poppins), and by making them great they WILL have draw. Obviously, you have to space them out, but I don't see how saving money now is a good idea since you're losing money every second you're not in your peak. They have it figured out for their current business strategy, but like Disney+ securing their future, the parks can make them even more money if they play it right.

And what Disney also fails to realize that the old synergy was that the parks were 'the IP'. Space Mountain, Haunted Mansion, heck even Splash Mountain (in the public's eye it's original). There is tremendous value in creating original rides too. There are just some obvious choices that should make their way into the parks promptly and in a way that actually brings people in.

The Fox deal was mainly used to get rid of competition, not for IPs and synergy like most claim; it will help on Hulu and will be useful and most certainly a part of it, but not for theme parks and other areas. Alien could make for a killer ride but they won't do it, and they have so many to choose from why do it. Their animation studio will never make its way into the parks. Disney has more brands than anywhere else by a longshot and they can't even come close to maximizing them. They would have been better off buying more selective assets from Fox and investing more in the parks to maximize all opportunities.

Back to the original Pirates ride itself, it always seemed like an odd form of synergy. I really don't believe it brings people into the park and is a total waste of money and lost earnings personally. They can still put Pirate movie stuff in the gift shop. Now if it was its own ride from Shanghai, it's so good I'm certain word of mouth alone would make it go so viral (just like Star Wars Land will) and people would tell everyone they have to see it. While the original is good, it's not in the same league and very different (especially MK's). As good as the original is, it's not mindblowing which is okay, but it's needed to bring the most people into the gates. They don't have attendance issues, but right now they could easily have higher prices, and properly built up parks and even more people would flock to the parks at a level of increased profitability. Something to think about.

Not my best-written post but I'm tired haha. Just trying to give a general idea.

ObscurityPoint

What scene used to be where the final Sparrow animatronic is now? Was it the drunk pirates shooting at eachother like in DL or something different?

Rich Brownn

Really? I mean they have the bayou scene and extended caverns but after that they are exactly the same. Oh I forgot the shoot out and the long chug up the waterfall at the end. Which in my opinion breaks the illusion. I've been on both versions and honestly MK evokes a better atmosphere than DL with the Caribbean fort queue and dungeon. I still can't for the life of me understand how we go from a Louisiana bayou to a Caribbean town at DL. At least at the MK you start off in the Caribbean. IJS
The caverns, the extended end sequence.... basically, we got "highlights" - mostly because we weren't supposed to have Pirates at WDW and it was shoe-horned in. Its why ours is the shortest of all Pirate rides

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Just give us back the original ride Disney, pretty please! This goes for Imagination as well. Just do it.

I understand the need for the changes (well most anyway) I just don't like them. But if the removal of the mist screen is a sign of things to come... I'll embrace PotC again with open arms. From "must do" to "must I?" in the course of a few years. Anything they can do to bring it closer to it's original glory, the better! Now if they'd just take away the Depp AAs and change up Redd's dialog.

And as for that mist screen: Move it to DAK. Navi River Journey could use all the help it can get!

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
What scene used to be where the final Sparrow animatronic is now? Was it the drunk pirates shooting at eachother like in DL or something different?
AA4BC02E-774D-44EC-B9A0-20FA4C78C05C.jpeg

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Also a good note to take into account is the fact that inspections are done about an hour to a half hour (depending on how fast start up goes) before the park opens. The managers over the ride were always more concerned about the attraction opening on time instead of fixing broken effects here and there.

So maintenance (for pirates, at least) would have to fix whatever was broken either right before park opening in HOPES of opening in time (which is rare), or after the attraction is closed for the day.

A cast member is given a checklist. On that checklist, only very certain critical figures have to be operating to make the ride open. (Jack sparrow AAs, the auction pirate, redhead, at least 2 out of 3 musicians, ect.) The mist screen was part of that list, so they may have definitely finally turned it off and got approval for it to be off.

But that’s how pirates is. That’s why sometimes the cool fog affect in the first scene after the drop is either working, or it’s just not. It’s not on the checklist. Which also means management doesn’t HAVE to call maintenance ahout it. Which is ALSO a reason why some affects probably go down for months, if not, years, sometimes.

Captain Barbossa

I noticed this as well during my trip in March, though the audio of Davy Jones and Blackbeard was still being played. The dense fog between where the mist would be and the beach was also not present. Not sure if that is a permanent change too or if it just wasn't working. I hope it just wasn't working because it adds to the eerieness of that particular part of the ride, along with the "Dead Men Tell No Tales" audio. In terms of the mist, I had no problem with it when it was just Jones, but I wasn't happy when they added Blackbeard. If they want to keep the audio, that's fine with me, but please dump Blackbeard.

Kman101

The site that shall not be named just tweeted not too long ago that the mist waterfall effect at the beginning of Pirates has been turned off and is gone for good, with audio being restored to “Dead men tell no tales.” Haven’t seen this reported anywhere else, can anyone confirm?

I’m also curious what this means for the rest of the ride, it seems like the movie references are being phased out slowly, starting with the mermaids.

To be fair, both affects were hit or miss a lot of the times anyway. I'm not surprised they were eventually removed. It could be a case of phasing out the movie references, but my guess it's a combination of factors. When they dump Johnny Depp, then we'll talk ;)

Captain Barbossa

I’m also curious what this means for the rest of the ride, it seems like the movie references are being phased out slowly, starting with the mermaids.
It could be a case of phasing out the movie references, but my guess it's a combination of factors
The only "phasing out" of stuff related to the franchise is that they've removed most references to OST. My guess would have to be that during the next reburb, whenever that may be, Barbossa will ditch his OST costume and will be brought back in his original/traditional outfit, or he'll be wearing his DMTNT garb. (hope it's his original/traditional) When/if that's done, then all OST references will have been removed.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Also a good note to take into account is the fact that inspections are done about an hour to a half hour (depending on how fast start up goes) before the park opens. The managers over the ride were always more concerned about the attraction opening on time instead of fixing broken effects here and there.

So maintenance (for pirates, at least) would have to fix whatever was broken either right before park opening in HOPES of opening in time (which is rare), or after the attraction is closed for the day.

A cast member is given a checklist. On that checklist, only very certain critical figures have to be operating to make the ride open. (Jack sparrow AAs, the auction pirate, redhead, at least 2 out of 3 musicians, ect.) The mist screen was part of that list, so they may have definitely finally turned it off and got approval for it to be off.

But that’s how pirates is. That’s why sometimes the cool fog affect in the first scene after the drop is either working, or it’s just not. It’s not on the checklist. Which also means management doesn’t HAVE to call maintenance ahout it. Which is ALSO a reason why some affects probably go down for months, if not, years, sometimes.
It’s also worth mentioning even a critical effect being down doesn’t guarantee an attraction closing. That’s down to management discretion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom