PotC Hidden Skull?

_mickey_

Still might be cool if the talking skull directs you to look in that direction. Doesn't help the story or theming, however.

Maybe they can tie in the flash by having the skull be a dead sea witch/vodoo person miffed that the boat passengers are encroaching on its final resting place. For its revenge it attempts to cast a spell or call down lightning (the flash), but the boat goers escape quickly over the falls.

Or they can just do the lazy thing and beef up the lightning around the ship storm scene to the right, thus hiding the flash.

They best to something to cover it up, other wise it would be quite annoying/jarring to the mood have a sudden out of place flash.

Frankly, I think they should put the flash near the cannon area at the bottom of the drop. That way the pictures would be more entertaining - think of all the people you see ducking and trying to get away from those giant splashes!

The Duck

Still might be cool if the talking skull directs you to look in that direction. Doesn't help the story or theming, however.
With the original skull, I always had the impression that it was designed to distract you before the drop. Most people on the boat were looking at the skeleton at the ships wheel when suddenly you were directed to the opposite side of the boat with an "Avast there!" etc. etc. More of an element of surprise for first time riders. Maybe now he'll say, "Avast there mateys and smile for the ruddy camera!".

FigmentJedi

With the original skull, I always had the impression that it was designed to distract you before the drop. Most people on the boat were looking at the skeleton at the ships wheel when suddenly you were directed to the opposite side of the boat with an "Avast there!" etc. etc. More of an element of surprise for first time riders. Maybe now he'll say, "Avast there mateys and smile for the ruddy camera!".
WDW's skull spiel was warning you about the drop because all the original skull's dialog was basically given to the Barker Bird outside.

The Duck

WDW's skull spiel was warning you about the drop because all the original skull's dialog was basically given to the Barker Bird outside.
Agreed, but the fact that he was opposite the wheel skeleton still made people look from one side to the other rather suddenly. I've thought that this was a Marc Davis element of surprise gag as well as a safety spiel.

I would definitely welcome that skull back to its former place. I have missed seeing it for the past 11 years. I was shocked when they first removed it, because it was something referred to as a "101 figure" which is a figure that when it's not working, the ride is supposed to close. I believe it was considered a 101 figure because it was giving safety information.

JustInTime

One of my favorite things is to take new people on the ride and surprise them with the drops. Glad the warnings are gone. But feel the photo is uneeded.

MerlinTheGoat

While that is the original skull I believe, I definitely don't remember it looking that silly with proper show lighting (in the darkness). Particularly the eyeball visible in that photo, I don't remember that at all. Unless this photo is an extremely old one from the 70s or something (it does look like an older one based on the coloration and curved edges) and the skull was later altered to be less comical, that is definitely not how it was in the 90s and early 2000s...

This video (while an older night vision one) is how I remember the effect (go to 2:00 in the video)-

The Duck

While that is the original skull I believe, I definitely don't remember it looking that silly with proper show lighting (in the darkness). Particularly the eyeball visible in that photo, I don't remember that at all. Unless this photo is an extremely old one from the 70s or something (it does look like an older one based on the coloration and curved edges) and the skull was later altered to be less comical, that is definitely not how it was in the 90s and early 2000s...

This video (while an older night vision one) is how I remember the effect (go to 2:00 in the video)-

I remember (from the 70's) he had both eyeballs and then later on he wore a patch over one of them. I distinctly remember when he had both eyes, he scared little kids.

HMF

I don't think he will use the word "Camera" seeing as how the timeline of the ride is early 18th Century.

brb1006

Not sure if mentioned, but the talking skull just came back to WDW's Pirates Of The Caribbean attraction.
DCjmcHLUwAEolTz.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom