Post your Toy Story Mania preview ride reports here

Evan1

So much fun!

I will keep this short and simple. The waiting area was entertaining as always, the wait was Disney style of course (sign said 45 minutes took like 1hr 10min), and the ride was totally amazing. The sensory experience is much like MIB at Universal (Sorry to use such a vulgar word in this forum I didn't mean it) Quick note that the single rider line is NOT very fast because the ride vehicles are made for parties of 4 so there is not a huge demand to fill spaces since most families are 4 or 6 or 8 what have you. The single rider line moved very slow and it would have been faster to hop in the regular line. Besides you get to talk with Mr. Potatohead if you get in the regular line. Worth the wait, kids LOVE IT, big kids (aka this guy) love it too!!

redshoesrock

krankenstein brought up a short point that I believe is very important for the popularity of Mania:

::The park needs a few more rides like this to make it a full day experience::

This is, in a nutshell, the simple reason above anything else, quality or otherwise, why TSMM will be immensely popular and have a very long queue to boot - DHS is a park that is literally starved for rides. The rides of DHS (not counting Mania) consists of RnR Coaster, ToT, Star Tours, Great Movie Ride, and the Backlot Tour. And of those, two of them (GMR and Backlot) are in essence tram tours with a guide (one inside and one outside that has been increasingly downsized throughout the years), while Star Tours is a motion simulator that is definitely showing its age. DHS is a starving man and TSMM is the giant hamburger he's been craving for years. Frankly, I was never worried how good the ride was because tens of thousands of guests are going to see a ride and exclaim to the heavens, "Finally! Something to actually DO around here!!" I'm not here to hate on DHS, but with rides more and more revolving around movie properties (Disney's, Pixar's, or otherwise), it's not that tough to justify putting a new attraction in DHS. I've always felt the motto of WDI when deciding where to place an attraction in WDW should be, "Don't know where it goes? Put it in the Studios!"

After saying all that, I think TSMM is a good D-ticket that will eat up some crowd. Now the next step is eliminating the tram tour on life support called the Backlot Tour (except for Castatrophe Canyon - just leave it and make it like the old Earthquake ride at Universal, you go in - BANG - you go out.), and drop a few rides in all that wasted space. Then we can get rid of the Indy Stunt Show (also getting a bit long in the tooth) and drop in the Indy ride from Disneyland (or if you're one of those who feel that you can't do that because of Dinosaur), drop in the Indy rollercoaster from Paris. Then you'd start seeing some big time attendance and getting that tween-teen bracket who aren't looking to sit down and watch yet another stage show with a truncated plot.

coilback

krankenstein brought up a short point that I believe is very important for the popularity of Mania:

::The park needs a few more rides like this to make it a full day experience::

This is, in a nutshell, the simple reason above anything else, quality or otherwise, why TSMM will be immensely popular and have a very long queue to boot - DHS is a park that is literally starved for rides. The rides of DHS (not counting Mania) consists of RnR Coaster, ToT, Star Tours, Great Movie Ride, and the Backlot Tour. And of those, two of them (GMR and Backlot) are in essence tram tours with a guide (one inside and one outside that has been increasingly downsized throughout the years), while Star Tours is a motion simulator that is definitely showing its age. DHS is a starving man and TSMM is the giant hamburger he's been craving for years. Frankly, I was never worried how good the ride was because tens of thousands of guests are going to see a ride and exclaim to the heavens, "Finally! Something to actually DO around here!!" I'm not here to hate on DHS, but with rides more and more revolving around movie properties (Disney's, Pixar's, or otherwise), it's not that tough to justify putting a new attraction in DHS. I've always felt the motto of WDI when deciding where to place an attraction in WDW should be, "Don't know where it goes? Put it in the Studios!"

After saying all that, I think TSMM is a good D-ticket that will eat up some crowd. Now the next step is eliminating the tram tour on life support called the Backlot Tour (except for Castatrophe Canyon - just leave it and make it like the old Earthquake ride at Universal, you go in - BANG - you go out.), and drop a few rides in all that wasted space. Then we can get rid of the Indy Stunt Show (also getting a bit long in the tooth) and drop in the Indy ride from Disneyland (or if you're one of those who feel that you can't do that because of Dinosaur), drop in the Indy rollercoaster from Paris. Then you'd start seeing some big time attendance and getting that tween-teen bracket who aren't looking to sit down and watch yet another stage show with a truncated plot.

Like it or not, the Indy show at DHS still fills up and absorbs a LOT of crowd. It might be old for you, but, just like Star Wars, new generations of kids (and sometimes adults) are just NOW coming across the Indy property and it's a new experience. It also seems to have more repeat visitors than LMA. With the new movie that just came out, it's going to spark the interest even more so than before. Like it or not, a lot of the people DO like the shows at DHS (and I speak from experience because I worked there for several months before going to MK). I do agree (and so did many guests) that it does need more rides, but the shows (especially Indy and LMA) are extremely popular and even Indy often has lines backed up to Star Tours and that isn't because they had nothing better to do.

MousDad

Rode TSMM on June 15. The park conditions were very crowded because of SWW.

I rode standby at 11:00 - posted wait time was 40 m., actual wait time was 60 m. Wait was posted at 90 m. by the time I got off the ride.

Got FP's at 11:00 for a 5:15 return time. Wait in the FP line was about 15 m.

The queue is fabulous. Mr. P is awesome and funny, but I never saw him pull out his ear during the 30 minutes or so I had him in view. He does have a living character element to his spiel, but about 75% of his spiel is non-interactive.

The ride is outstanding. All 4 in my party loved it, ages 5, 7 and 2 adults.

My personal recommendation is to ride standby only in the first 2 hours of park opening, otherwise use the FP. I also would recommend enduring the standby line only once to enjoy Mr. P, but after that FP only. He's a great animatronic, but I would not wait in that line again to see him.

And yes, it is a VERY long, VERY slow standby line.

My grade for the attraction is A+.

RSoxNo1

Have the wait times for this attraction come down at all? How do the wait times compare to Tower of Terror and Rockin' Rollercoaster?

TinkerCarol

Rode TSM twice the week of the 4th of July. Waited 45 minutes both times, and well worth the wait. My 3 yr old GD got 25,000 points and was so excited. One of her favorite rides. Not bad for a tiny tot! The sensory parts of the ride are so great. And you can really see what you are shooting and aiming at. We loved the ride.

Austin1

So, I just got back from Disney this evening and I must say that Toy Story Midway Mania is amazing! I'm very worried and upset about one thing however. The que has amazing details and is pure art, in my opinion, and it's already been completely torn up by bratty kids and destructive adults who have little respect for things that don't belong to them. It really made me sad. They are in the process of covering much of the hand painted walls and sets with clear plastic protectors. Anyone else noticed this?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
So, I just got back from Disney this evening and I must say that Toy Story Midway Mania is amazing! I'm very worried and upset about one thing however. The que is has amazing details and is pure art, in my opinion, and it's already been completely torn up by bratty kids and destructive adults who have little respect for things that don't belong to them. It really made me sad. They are in the process of trying to coving much of the hand painted walls and sets with clear plastic protectors. Anyone else noticed this?

Yep its a real shame. When you have idiots in the line who jsut want to wreck everything, you have to go to the lengths of installing plastic sheeting. Disney should be much tougher on people when they find them damaging items.

erasure fan1

Have the wait times for this attraction come down at all? How do the wait times compare to Tower of Terror and Rockin' Rollercoaster?
We just got back and the wait times on the days we went to the studios hit 2hr plus.:eek: Unreal! I did enjoy the ride and it is a lot of fun. I sure hope they get some other substantial rides in soon as TSMM isnt worth the huge wait times more than once as its a pretty short ride. Did anyone else notice parts of the ride were really blurry? Or is it like the Jim Hill article said, people with glasses are having that problem. A few parts gave me a real headache because of the blurry images. All in all I give it a solid B, Its a good addition to a park in desperate need of rides. And it sure makes Buzz feel way out of date.:lol:

Oriolesmagic

I can't wait to ride this! I'm disappointed to hear about the blurry screens though. Either way the park was way past needing a new ride. :)

Oriolesmagic

..................................................................................................................................................................amazing.

ThinkTink721

We were lucky enough to be able to ride it once during our trip.
A nice guy who was leaving the park actually gave us his fast passes for the ride.
We only waited about 10 minutes on 9/28/08.
The stand by line wait time ranged from 80 to 120 minutes each time we checked.
The ride was great!
The adults & kids both liked it.
The pull strings on the guns make it much easier to shoot.
I wish we could have done it again, but I am grateful that we did get to do it once during our trip.

:wave:

Oriolesmagic

We were lucky enough to be able to ride it once during our trip.
A nice guy who was leaving the park actually gave us his fast passes for the ride.
We only waited about 10 minutes on 9/28/08.
The stand by line wait time ranged from 80 to 120 minutes each time we checked.
The ride was great!
The adults & kids both liked it.
The pull strings on the guns make it much easier to shoot.
I wish we could have done it again, but I am grateful that we did get to do it once during our trip.

:wave:

We went on it twice (and once the next week..) The first time we went on it we grabbed fast passes waited in the stand-by for like 15 min then got in the fp line and rode it again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom