Post your Gran Fiesta reviews here

hokielutz

I did have a thought about the ride now lacking animatronics. Are Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, and Goofy cheapened because they don't have animatronic representations of themselves in any of the rides? Actually... what feature attractions are they inserted into in any animated form?

Also... you could put Donald in as an animatronic... but he would be sorely limited. Even with all the new technology in animatronics that Disney has available to them... they couldn't get a real comedic appearance out of Donald in AA form. Maybe, the primary Disney characters were left out of attractions as AA's so guests would not get them confused with the live characters they see on the street. (could this possibly be a primary operating rule in imagineering?)

Figment82

I rode the ride twice this past weekend and I really enjoyed it. I'm one of the first people out there to complain about the character invasion of Epcot, but I really think this refurb was nicely done. It preserved the integrity of El Rio, but made it fresh, fun, and yes, a little educational. I've been to Mexico twice so it was fun for me to connect with things that I've seen, plus I overheard other people in our boat commenting on familiar sights.

I do miss the original song, but I love the Three Caballeros song just as much (and it gets stuck in your head just as badly - trust me!). The street vendors are the only thing I really miss, but the current projections do fit in with the overall story.

As for AA's at the end - I really don't think they are necessary because the zany animation that is used fits in so well with the original movies, and allows for so much more movement. The original movies are crazy and surreal, and I think they really captured that in this latest incarnation.

The hidden things in the ride and queue are great! I loved seeing the Aracuan bird in the one projection, as well as the "hidden" Donald, Panchito, and Jose in the paper banners above the queue line. In my opinion, it's a very thoughtful update. It even made me dig out my copies of Three Caballeros and Saludos Amigos.

fizzle75

I got to ride it twice last Friday and I really enjoyed it. It was good but not great. It is much, much better than El Rio Del Tiempo!!!

blakesse06

We haven't been on the ride yet but we watched the video and were very familiar with El Rio Del Tiempo. Here are our thoughts.

#1.) Along with everyone else, we miss the song. It was one of our favorites and would have at least been nice to hear it in the finale scene.

#2.) There REALLY needs and should have been some audio animatronics added to the ride. In 2 places. Most importantly is in the final scene. The stage would have been a perfect place to have the 3 Cabs live in person, it would have felt like you were seeing them live on stage and would have been a perfect finale to the ride. Secondly audio animatronics should have been in the "Small World-ish" scene to keep the flow of the story going. Having them looking for donald within the crowd would have been perfect.

#3.) We're glad they kept a lot the same, like the beginning scene with the volcano, a lot of the movies were the same, the small world-ish scene, and the fireworks at the end.

#4.) I wish they kept the street vendors like everyone else does. They certainly could have updated it, even making the 3 Cabs being the vendors. It COULD be done tastefully and it is something you do find in Mexico. It was also one of the most funny and memoriable part of the the ride.

Overall, considering how Disney can butcher an old classic, we are OK with this one. Thanks for listening.
I really wish there were more people like you running disney it is becoming nothing but projectors and lighting. BRING BACK THE AA'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THIS HAS GONE TOO FAR:(

I really wish there were more people like you running disney it is becoming nothing but projectors and lighting. BRING BACK THE AA'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THIS HAS GONE TOO FAR:(

Get a life, sir! AA's ARE NOT dead!

Besides, projections can do things that even mere AA's would NEVER be able to achieve. And attractions like Nemo and Gran Fiesta work better with projections than they would've with AA's.

Then again, you can't always get what you want--it's a part of life. And you can't have everything either.

Cattman96

I think you are holding back and not telling us how you truely feel. :) I agree with you opinion that AA's are not dead but "get a life"? I would say most people browsing the internet and came across this site would say we all neen to "get a life".

If this ride was else were it would be great it was funny and amuzing but as far as representing the Mexican culture it was a shame. The birds are amuzing but were is the learning of the culture. Disneys idea was for people to learn at Epcot. Granted this is not his true vision for what he thought Epcot would be. My DW and I took a behind the scene tour at Epcot this past week and it talked a lot about the caracters being in Disney. Mickey was there for the Dedication and that was it. Then when Eisner got in and visited he was disaponted that his kids did not see any of the caracters so he wanted them added. To bad he did not think of Epcot as the Educational place it started out to be. I remember going there openning year and they had caracters from other countries that were realy tall pupets. Back to the whole bases of Mexico, maybe they should redo Norway with Goofy with a Viking hat. I believe there was a Moive with Goofy as a Viking and that should be the way that Norway is represented. Come on people Epcot was a place to learn about the future and to be educated by making it fun! Not some park to be entertaned. Ohter wise Disney should by the rights to Peepy Le Pue and get rid of Impressions De France and have a cartoon to entertain the kids.:hammer:

EpcotServo

If this ride was else were it would be great it was funny and amuzing but as far as representing the Mexican culture it was a shame. The birds are amuzing but were is the learning of the culture. Disneys idea was for people to learn at Epcot.

I'm sorry, but coming from a guy who goes on hour-long rants about that bus with Mickey and the gang that used to go around World Showcase, and who loved El Rio, El Rio had no educational value whatsoever. At least at face value that is. What did you learn from mayan guys dancin' around, and 80's bars? I loved it, but I can't say in all honesty that it was the best educational Mexico lesson.

Pete C

Are people still ranting about how Epcot was supposed to be about this and Epcot was supposed to be about that? Epcot stopped being EPCOT Center a long time ago. Gran Fiesta is just the latest excuse for the nostalgia freaks to sound off on the new Epcot. Why are people still complaining that the new rides are not educational? Seriously, the argument is old and tired. Educational doesn't spin the turnstiles. Do you really think that people went on El Rio and got off saying "WOW...we have to go to Mexico!!" Give me a break!! That ride did nothing of the sort! When a ride has ZERO line at all times of the day...you have a problem. Gran Fiesta actually looks fun and entertaining as opposed to bizarre and unappealing like El Rio.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Gran Fiesta also, now that thing have simmered down, holds the full hard queue for the times it's open daily. Typically it uses the extensions infront of San Angel too.

Can El Rio say it did that daily? Ever?

And Gran Fiesta isn't even on the map.

I'm sorry, but coming from a guy who goes on hour-long rants about that bus with Mickey and the gang that used to go around World Showcase, and who loved El Rio, El Rio had no educational value whatsoever. At least at face value that is. What did you learn from mayan guys dancin' around, and 80's bars? I loved it, but I can't say in all honesty that it was the best educational Mexico lesson.
Maybe you sould learn to read the my whole coment. I did not talk about Mickey and the gang on the old World Showcase buses, but if you bring it up, personaly I did not like that either. I was talking about the giant pupet looking people from the opening years. I never defended the original ride either I was stating what I thought of the new ride, but then again maybe an hour long rant was to much for you to be entertained with out some caractures.:ROFLOL: :wave: :sohappy: :slurp: :cool: so I will and some to entertain. I simply think that Disney needs some new Ideas for Epcot. I talk to a lot of people that have gone to Epcot Center and the New Epcot and they either get the Educational point of it or they don't like it. Plain and simple this is what keeps poeple coming back. But then again Disney is all about the numbers. Maybe they only care if the masses of cattle come and not if they come back. I know as far as Epcot I go less each year.:D :lookaroun :eek: :)

Educational doesn't spin the turnstiles. Do you really think that people went on El Rio and got off saying "WOW...we have to go to Mexico!!" Give me a break!! That ride did nothing of the sort! When a ride has ZERO line at all times of the day...you have a problem. Gran Fiesta actually looks fun and entertaining as opposed to bizarre and unappealing like El Rio.
Donald and the others did not spin the turnstiles either. I walke on every time other then Friday night so I would say that the new referbishment was a big waste of time. The line to the restuant was always longer. You state it looks fun, have you rode it or looked at pictures? I rode Eil Rio more times then most people went to can think of going to Disney. It gave the feeling of going to Mexico through a lot of years from start to present. It was not done the best but it was an after thought to put the ride in.

fers31

I agree, I like the Gran Fiesta tour more. El Rio was way too outdated. Those videos were laughable. Don't get me wrong....I still liked Rio, but the overhaul is better. Viva Donald!

TTFN-Tiggger

Just returned from a visit to WDW. I enjoyed the Gran Fiesta. More appealing to childen now I do believe with the humor of Donald tossed in. It was nice to see people in line. On the Rio there was never anyone riding when I would go - we would have a boat all to ourselves.

Craig & Lisa

We were there the 2nd week of April, rode it, no wait on the line and I and my family thought it was good. Better sound, the added characters, a nice touch, seemed more up to date, so to speak. The area of the temple was very well rehabed. With just alittle more light it seemed to have more detail visible. I'd ride it again.

killerbunny

we just visited WDW last week, and I hadn't checked WDW magic in a looong time, so I was pleasantly surprised with the refurbishment. I LOVED the siliness introduced with Donald Duck and Co. It took away the creepiness I had gotten from the ride when I really young.

Jesùs_Carioca

Well, I just rode it for the first time about 3 days ago (which I've been dying to do so ever since i heard news of it), and with the disclaimer that I strongly believe that Jose the Parrot is one of the the best things to have come out of Disney (to me) in mind, I have to say the ride was absolutely marvelous. The pinnacle of the whole day, which trust me the day offered pleeeenty of tough competition for the ride to beat (with the Flower and Garden Festival and...whatnot going on).

I thought it was very whimsical and clever, and i adored how instead of taking out many scenes (which is what i feared) they, on several occasions, just added Donald to them! Por ejemplo, I LOVED the clip with the men diving off of the side of the ledge of into the Ocean below, it was always a memory of mine since a kid...and seeing that instead of taking it down, they just added Donald's comic relief to it, i have grown an even larger love for it.

Haha, but i do agree with many out there that the street vendor scene was missed a lot. I wish they would have done more with that part...like rather than the vendors, Donald/Panchito/Jose are going through the market? I dunno, that's probably just a collective product of thought conjured up by my crazy mind from three weeks of pre-emptive guessing as to how the ride would be since when i actually got to ride it.

Needless to say, i loved it...but i was wondering if anybody knew more about the last scene at the end of the boat ride where all three of them appear for their "concert". How much of the song do they play exactly? More specifically, does anybody know if the line "Who says so? WE SAY SO!" is in the last scene? It was always my favourite part of the song, and i didn't seem to catch it. Maybe it was just bad timing with the boat i was on?

It was great.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom