Possilbe New Resorts in the Epcot/DHS area

matt9112

True for DHS. It's just replacing a lot of the lost capacity and with Avatar it's replacing a meet and greet area, but a lot of people would argue that the park needed more capacity to make it complete anyway. I don't think you necessarily need additional capacity to draw crowds. Universal has been building new stuff for a while now that mostly replaced existing attractions and it still draws in huge crowds.

I don't think there are enough high end clientele to fill the existing and future resorts, but Disney does a great job getting people to spend more than they probably can afford with a little help from Visa and MasterCard. The biggest risk is an economic downturn. The resorts are doing well right now but if there's a major economic setback or 9/11 style incident that cripples tourism even deep discounts aren't going to fill those rooms.

Am I the only one that thinks the current crowd levels that seemed to be around almost all the time can make me not want to vacation? I really think they should work on park capacity and less lines...but I guess they have accepted that it's OK for people to wait and hour or more for every single attraction sometimes.

csmat99

Let's be honest. It's not. To call it "a movie" is incredibly niave.

But that's for another discussion. Not here.
Poor choice of words I agree but other posters that found issue with my original statement missed my point. It has nothing to do with that presentation my issues with that area were the fact they put a crappy QS restaurant two sets of bathrooms and really bad shop. So if the blue sky plan of having a resort there would have given them a chance to make the area better along with having true premium rooms with one of a kind experiences I'm all for it and sad to hear probably won't happen.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Poor choice of words I agree but other posters that found issue with my original statement missed my point. It has nothing to do with that presentation my issues with that area were the fact they put a crappy QS restaurant two sets of bathrooms and really bad shop. So if the blue sky plan of having a resort there would have given them a chance to make the area better along with having true premium rooms with one of a kind experiences I'm all for it and sad to hear probably won't happen.
The bathrooms were added due to the low capacity and location of the originals, especially given the capacity and use of the Gardens Theatre.

I don't find the QS crappy. More a refreshing change in the other choices of WS.

Thank god they're not sacrificing one of WDIs crowning achievements for a hotel. Especially in a park that's seen so many sacrifices already.

Bocabear

Actually I think it truly is one of their crowning achievements...and wish they would do away with the QS restaurant and put in a real World Showcase style world class restaurant celebrating the cuisine of America... Get together several celebrity chefs to team up and creat a truly unique American restaurant ...instead of cheeseburgers and fries. There is plenty of room to have both options actually...
and from the air it even looks like they could create and American Adventure Resort without touching the centerpiece attraction...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Actually I think it truly is one of their crowning achievements...and wish they would do away with the QS restaurant and put in a real World Showcase style world class restaurant celebrating the cuisine of America... Get together several celebrity chefs to team up and creat a truly unique American restaurant ...instead of cheeseburgers and fries. There is plenty of room to have both options actually...
and from the air it even looks like they could create and American Adventure Resort without touching the centerpiece attraction...
You mean you guys have more than what's at TGI Fridays?? :D

Bocabear

You mean you guys have more than what's at TGI Fridays?? :D
LOL Marni, I know that is the impression most international tourists have... Burger Fries Hot Dogs and bad Pizza... Disney already has several American Celbrity chefs in their stables... Rick Bayless could do a Southwestern portion of the menu, Art Smith could represent the American South, etc... I think it could be a very sophistcated, beautiful restaurant...

P_Radden

Original Poster

The bathrooms were added due to the low capacity and location of the originals, especially given the capacity and use of the Gardens Theatre.

I don't find the QS crappy. More a refreshing change in the other choices of WS.

Thank god they're not sacrificing one of WDIs crowning achievements for a hotel. Especially in a park that's seen so many sacrifices already.

Keep American Adventure, improve the dining options, but also build the resort behind. Connect them with a garden breeze way (to shield views of backstage) to a small turnstile booth adjacent to the access gate/road at American Adventure. This Terminal building would take up minimal space on the empty pad there near the current gate. The resort does not have to be a tower, but could feature one elevated area just tall enough for a clear viewing of Illuminations (and of course an up-charge desert party). This location is near center and would be awesome for watching Illuminations. I really wish they would reconsider this idea.

Princess Leia

It's the same franchise. If she's not going to write more things starring Harry, it's all they would have for new content. Every year without something new a certain portion of drop off happens. Can't argue that. Your separation would be like calling Rogue One not Star Wars because the Skywalkers aren't the focus. Same franchise, same IP, which is what we are talking about. Disavowing Fantastic Beasts only hurts your argument that the IP could support an entire resort hotel.

Also, the Cursed Child play/novelization was definitely not 'great' to say the least. You can't say that Potter hasn't fallen from its high at this point. Whereas Star Wars has never made more money than it has since TFA was released.
I think that once Dumbledore starts getting involved (which is the plan for the second movie), Fantastic Beasts might do better. I think that Rowling definitely should have written the series as novels first. Her post-Potter success stems mostly from her Cormoran Strike novels (which I love, have not read the singular Casual Vacancy though), and I think that a Fantastic Beasts series would fly off the shelves.

I haven't seen The Cursed Child, but I did read it... and man was that a mess. Compared to her books, it was severely lacking in detail. However- Rowling didn't write it. It was written by Jack Thorne, based on an idea by Thorne, Rowling, and John Tiffany. I would love to see what Rowling contributed to the story, because there was a lot that contradicted what she had said about the characters' futures.
Also-
  • the very idea that Cedric would turn into a Death Eater is bogus
  • Voldemort was pretty much set up to be an asexual character who was unable to love, so having him conceive a child with Bellatrix is on the level of bad fanfiction- not knocking fanfics, I write some, but it was a really bad plot point
I wouldn't say that Pottermania is over, but Rowling would be doing herself a favor if she would just write the Fantastic Beasts series as novels and not solely screenplays.

P_Radden

Original Poster
And a view of the backstage area of WS.

To be tall enough to see the lagoon it'd be intrusive into half of WS and Futureworld.
I understand your point and sure it wouldn't be a perfect unobstructed view. But I don't think most guests would be looking at thew view of backstage, but focused on fireworks etc.. If guests are only permitted up to the viewing decks at dusk or after dark to watch the show, that would help also. Not to mention, they could hide a lot of what is seen backstage with more trees. Seems like the issue is mainly visible Epcot rooftops:

Here's a crap drawing trying to illustrate the idea & view, I probably should have placed it a little more to the left to center the globe between AA and Japan for the viewing deck:
AmericanAdventure ResortView.png

Yellow are viewing decks.

I know you have the issue of the resort ruining the sight lines of WS but that could be worked out with appropriate architecture & theming. Have only the viewing decks be tall enough to be seen.

Also even if this resort was not very tall buildings and did not feature a view of Illuminations, I still feel like it would be a great addition to the Epcot Resorts line up. It would be great to have a 3rd park exit to ease the stampede up front even if it's just a little bit.

Last edited:

Princess Leia

LOL Marni, I know that is the impression most international tourists have... Burger Fries Hot Dogs and bad Pizza... Disney already has several American Celbrity chefs in their stables... Rick Bayless could do a Southwestern portion of the menu, Art Smith could represent the American South, etc... I think it could be a very sophistcated, beautiful restaurant...
Each region of the country has something they're known for, and they should be highlighted, but I feel like Disney only wants to do that during the different festivals with limited time kiosks.

jaxonp

I would agree with whomever is suggesting that the American adventure could and should improve its food offerings.

nickys

Premium Member

Yeah, but the UK have world class chefs too and The Rose and Crown is not serving it either! It's serving pub grub and, to me is over salted and some of it tastes like (poor) microwave ready meals. However it seems that's what the US visitors want . ( Btw, Same goes for Raglan Road, the LAST place I want to go to on holiday is an Irish pub, there are enough of them in every high street in the UK, taking over decent local pubs with the same Irish tat theme. Again, amazingly popular though it seems... ) To each their own eh? The point is there is good WS food and there is stereotypical WS food. For whatever reason the US and UK have gone down the latter route.

nickys

Premium Member
I haven't seen The Cursed Child, but I did read it... and man was that a mess. Compared to her books, it was severely lacking in detail.

But it's a script of a play, not a book! Scripts don't have detail, they have words spoken by characters.

It said it clearly on the cover, it said it in the publicity material. People just didn't read properly before rushing out to buy it. And that's why I haven't read it. Still hoping I can get tickets somehow to both parts, so don't want to ruin it. But anyone expecting a book should have paid just a little bit of attention lol!

Princess Leia

But it's a script of a play, not a book! Scripts don't have detail, they have words spoken by characters.

It said it clearly on the cover, it said it in the publicity material. People just didn't read properly before rushing out to buy it. And that's why I haven't read it. Still hoping I can get tickets somehow to both parts, so don't want to ruin it. But anyone expecting a book should have paid just a little bit of attention lol!
I knew it was a script when I bought it. I had read reviews of the play before the script was released. I knew exactly what I was buying.

And let me tell you, it's not Arthur Miller, Shakespeare, or Oscar Wilde. It definitely doesn't read like Rowling either. Ginny Potter and Scorpius Malfoy were the only redeemable parts of that thing. Harry, Ron, and Hermione had all of their best qualities squashed out. There were some weird continuity issues (Rowling had said that McGonagall retired before James Sirius Potter started Hogwarts.... and she's still in charge in the play; Kingsley is supposed to be Minister for Magic, not Hermione) that even the play can't fix.

Will I see the play? Maybe. I hope that I'm lucky enough to get tickets for both parts, but it's going to be difficult (the dual parts is tricky enough to pull off in one location, let alone if it ever happens to go on tour). I think that people mostly just got their hopes up. With the exception of The Casual Vacancy, she's had a pretty solid run. Cursed Child sort of tarnishes it a bit.

However, I still believe that HP is a hot property, and if Jo ever chooses to build HP themed hotels, there would be an interest to stay there, like Star Wars.

nickys

Premium Member
I knew it was a script when I bought it. I had read reviews of the play before the script was released. I knew exactly what I was buying.

And let me tell you, it's not Arthur Miller, Shakespeare, or Oscar Wilde. It definitely doesn't read like Rowling either. Ginny Potter and Scorpius Malfoy were the only redeemable parts of that thing. Harry, Ron, and Hermione had all of their best qualities squashed out. There were some weird continuity issues (Rowling had said that McGonagall retired before James Sirius Potter started Hogwarts.... and she's still in charge in the play; Kingsley is supposed to be Minister for Magic, not Hermione) that even the play can't fix.

Will I see the play? Maybe. I hope that I'm lucky enough to get tickets for both parts, but it's going to be difficult (the dual parts is tricky enough to pull off in one location, let alone if it ever happens to go on tour). I think that people mostly just got their hopes up. With the exception of The Casual Vacancy, she's had a pretty solid run. Cursed Child sort of tarnishes it a bit.

However, I still believe that HP is a hot property, and if Jo ever chooses to build HP themed hotels, there would be an interest to stay there, like Star Wars.

I certainly don't dispute any of that. However one of your complaints was "It is severely lacking in detail". Just pointing out a script doesn't include background notes on characters or events. It's a listing of who says what, plus stage directions.

Kamikaze

And Fantastic Beasts did 750 million. Which no one is displeased with and that's huge for an offshoot of a small book.

Back to topic though.

Fantastic Beasts only did five hundred thousand more than Doctor Strange domestically. I'm sure they aren't happy with the US numbers. Moana made more. Worldwide grosses are fun, but the studios only really care about the US numbers when determining what to do with the movies.

It doesn't matter - there will never be a Potter themed resort hotel so we will never find out if it could stand the test of time or not.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom