Possibly, Mission: Space to Mission: DeepSea?

laxplaya1346

Original Poster
Just thought I found it very interesting that during my lunch with an imagineer he happened to mention how quickly things as Disney parks need to be changed and he brought up the fact that "anyday we could choose to turn something like Mission: Space to a mission deep underwater." and I wondered if he was hinting on something we may see or if this was just an example. Even so, the title "Mission: Space" due to the ":" seems it could be changed. Although I do think it won't be coming soon since the attraction has only been opened for about 4 years. But I do see it as a possibility

ToTBellHop

deep underwater? That doesn't make much sense...it's a centrifuge meant to simulate the intense G-forces that you don't really feel underwater...I'm afraid a slingshot around a blue whale isn't enough to stretch your face back.

JWG

Well, now that they destroyed The Living Seas, why not create a worthwhile seas attraction elsewhere...

Seriously, I doubt it would happen with The Seas so close, but stranger things have happened.

laxplaya1346

Original Poster
deep underwater? That doesn't make much sense...it's a centrifuge meant to simulate the intense G-forces that you don't really feel underwater...I'm afraid a slingshot around a blue whale isn't enough to stretch your face back.

M:S is really a simulator and there are many simulations to deepsea adventures. I'm sure there is a way if they needed to, to work G Forces in there.

montyz81

They are going to build another Horizons building right behind it exactly like the one that was there. Only this time it will not sink into the ground.

Tom Morrow

Well, now that they destroyed The Living Seas,
While I don't like the Nemo ride either, the original Seas ride itself was not good, either. I barely even remember it - it was like, what, a 45 second ride down a tunnel?

The actual Seas pavillion is more alive now than it ever was, though.

The Mak

Just thought I found it very interesting that during my lunch with an imagineer he happened to mention how quickly things as Disney parks need to be changed and he brought up the fact that "anyday we could choose to turn something like Mission: Space to a mission deep underwater." and I wondered if he was hinting on something we may see or if this was just an example. Even so, the title "Mission: Space" due to the ":" seems it could be changed. Although I do think it won't be coming soon since the attraction has only been opened for about 4 years. But I do see it as a possibility

Ironic that he mentions this since EPCOT already had this attraction. His imagineer friends ripped it out in favor of a Fantasy Land attraction.

laxplaya1346

Original Poster
Ironic that he mentions this since EPCOT already had this attraction. His imagineer friends ripped it out in favor of a Fantasy Land attraction.

Ouch a little rough. 1 imagineer, Kevin Thomas Senior Graphic Designer, and yes they ripped it out but uh what about that new ride at DL, ring a bell? :rolleyes:

Dr Albert Falls

Why do you assume he meant the Epcot attraction would be changing?

Obviously, with all the $$$ WDI dumped into M:S they would have liked to clone the attraction elsewhere. But I'd bet the ill-effects of the spinning space ride (not to mention the lawsuit filed by the centrifuge manufacturer) means no M:S Tokyo or Paris.

But what about cloning the new NON-SPINNING version?

Of course, the new story line couldn't involve G-Forces. Like, say, an UNDERWATER ride!

The claustrophobic capsules certainly resemble deep-water submersibles. And the porthole would be perfect size.

I can't believe no one brought up this possibility earlier!

ToTBellHop

There's no real need to clone the non-spinning version...that would be a very expensive simulator (needlessly expensive). If they don't want the spinning, they would just build the traditional simulator.

Moustronaut

But what about cloning the new NON-SPINNING version?

Of course, the new story line couldn't involve G-Forces. Like, say, an UNDERWATER ride!

The claustrophobic capsules certainly resemble deep-water submersibles. And the porthole would be perfect size.

I can't believe no one brought up this possibility earlier!
It could be a natural extension of the interactive cockpit capsules. Why not combine them with a track based ride? Think hybrid between M:S and Dinosaur/Indy ride vehicles. Real linear acceleration/deceleration with simulation style movement to match the simulator graphics on the view screen for banking and turning, and some interactive elements with the controls.

The possibilities are endless. Add the interactive shooter aspect of Buzz... and hello Atlantis themed attraction. *shrug*

Now for an undersea style ride, I'd like to see TDS's 20K ride system brought over. Small "sub" capsules that let you look out at animatronic sets. I prefer the viewing angles of a real porthole to a simulated view screen.

ToTBellHop

who needs simulators when they already have an enormous aquarium? I really don't see this happening for Epcot. Animal Kingdom would do fine with an underwater simulator, of course.

mickeysgal

There have been sightings of large masses of ice on other planets, and many researchers feel that there could be water underneath. Maybe the imagineers have the idea that they can use this information to change the plot and location of the mission, to keep it up to date (in the years to come) and still in the theme of the pavillion. Just a thought!

There have been sightings of large masses of ice on other planets, and many researchers feel that there could be water underneath. Maybe the imagineers have the idea that they can use this information to change the plot and location of the mission, to keep it up to date (in the years to come) and still in the theme of the pavillion. Just a thought!

I love that idea!

Pongo

That sounds like a mix between the current Mission: Space and Wild Arctic at Sea World. Weird.

I don't think the pavilion will ever become Mission: Deep Sea because they'd have to retheme the entire facade of the pavilion. Which I don't think they would want to do. It would be more than just adding a few metal animals like they did for the Seas. It would be a complete overhaul.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom