Possibly, Mission: Space to Mission: DeepSea?

prberk

I think that it is funny how one little thought mentioned as an example of a change that "could" happen get people going on this board. It's funny!

Paul

raven

deep underwater? That doesn't make much sense...it's a centrifuge meant to simulate the intense G-forces that you don't really feel underwater...I'm afraid a slingshot around a blue whale isn't enough to stretch your face back.

M:S is really a simulator and there are many simulations to deepsea adventures. I'm sure there is a way if they needed to, to work G Forces in there.

Deep seas levels have very intense pressure on humans. I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to simulate that with the current system of M:S.

KevinPage

They need to make either Wonders of Universe a pavillon that people can enter and wander around in, even it it means to sit down and escape the heat.

It's kinda weird how one side of Future World is just ride experiences and nothing else to the pavillon and the other side has multiple rides, eating locations and OTHER THINGS TO DO in their pavillos (Imag is a stretch I know, but work with me here).

:D :D :D

ToTBellHop

Deep seas levels have very intense pressure on humans. I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to simulate that with the current system of M:S.
you wouldn't feel that pressure in a proper (i.e. not collapsing) submarine and whereas the g-forces of space travel push you back in your seat, the pressure of a collapsing submarine crush you from all directions...and that pressure would last all of 1 second before you were no more. The only way to get the prolonged g-forces that M:S simulates is to accelerate incredibly quickly, and I have yet to see any submarine that can accelerate up to 20,000 mph in a matter of minutes (or any timeframe).

I would bet money on this being a bogus rumor--the Imagineer's point was that they can change anything if they really want to, which we already knew. I'm fairly confident that Mission: SPACE will remain in space for a long while...until it is replaced.

jmvd20

I agree that the imagineer was using that as an example, it would make no sense to turn M:S into an underwater simulator.

As far as the use of the simulator to replicate G-forces underwater - has anyone seen the movie "The Core"?

jmvd20

They are going to build another Horizons building right behind it exactly like the one that was there. Only this time it will not sink into the ground.

So it will be exactly like the original then, which wasn't sinking into the ground.

ToTBellHop

I agree that the imagineer was using that as an example, it would make no sense to turn M:S into an underwater simulator.

As far as the use of the simulator to replicate G-forces underwater - has anyone seen the movie "The Core"?
based on The Core's profits (or rather lack thereof), I would guess not...

tirian

Just thought I found it very interesting that during my lunch with an imagineer he happened to mention how quickly things as Disney parks need to be changed and he brought up the fact that "anyday we could choose to turn something like Mission: Space to a mission deep underwater." and I wondered if he was hinting on something we may see or if this was just an example. Even so, the title "Mission: Space" due to the ":" seems it could be changed. Although I do think it won't be coming soon since the attraction has only been opened for about 4 years. But I do see it as a possibility

Not to be a thread killer, but this is a common example that Imagineering gives regarding how easy it is to update some of the more recent attractions. Other examples include Soarin' and MLF.

CThaddeus

That sounds like a mix between the current Mission: Space and Wild Arctic at Sea World. Weird.

I don't think the pavilion will ever become Mission: Deep Sea because they'd have to retheme the entire facade of the pavilion. Which I don't think they would want to do. It would be more than just adding a few metal animals like they did for the Seas. It would be a complete overhaul.

Nah, they don't have to redo the front of the pavilion. They'll just build a giant deep sea diving helmet and slap it down in front of the attraction, blocking the references to space completely. It's a new program called Hats Around the World. A giant aviator's hat will be plopped in front of The Land soon, too.

RSoxNo1

To echo tirian's comments, so many of the attractions involve the use of screens as opposed to animatronic based attractions. Screen based rides are by nature easier to change. Although programming simulators like Soarin' and/or Mission: Space to new videos will take time, I would imagine this downtime would be significantly less than completely changing a non-screen based ride.

Courtney488

I'm pretty sure the imagineer was just throwing an example out there, I don't think he really meant it literally. Maybe it was something that was being considered in the planning stages of the ride...but now? No, not happening now. Or anytime in the near future.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom