Possible Frontierland expansion

Sped2424

that attitude isn't necessary. lets try to make this a positive and speculative board. There is always too much negativity flying around this site. There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, remember?
tumblr_n2jdd1Syrl1qddfrco3_250.gif

tumblr_n2jdd1Syrl1qddfrco4_250.gif

jt04

With the likely alternative being the raft ride? No offense, but i'd take WRE (or at least a variation of it) any day.

I still prefer the WRE concept over any other proposal i've seen put out there for Frontierland including the likes of Geyser Mountain, Woody's Roundup, Cars Land (a proposal I believe was pitched to Tokyo), another raft ride or any other type of character/movie tie-in (such as Pocahontas).

Don't forget something like DB. I'd give it a working title containing 'steampunk' on a single sheet of paper and drop it in Imagineering's inbox and let the magic happen.

~Instafranchise~

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I think that's why "Raft Ride" has some of us nervous. Richly themed Raft Rides that are a transportive experience are in VERY short supply in the Themed Entertainment industry. They're all . . . pretty much the same . . . and not known for creating a reliably equal experience for all riders. How many times have you ridden Kali River Rapids where one or two people got drenched and everyone else is bone dry?

I don't believe for a second that Disney COULDN'T create a grand, immersive, truly dynamic ride experience out of a Rapids ride, but given the precedent attractions using that ride system across the world, it would certainly be the exception to a disappointing rule.

That said, are we too quick to assume "Raft Ride" = "River Rapids"? Because I'm realizing that's sort of what's being inferred, but not necessarily what's being implied.
There is also the fact that there are quite a few people that have have no interest in spending half of their day at a theme park soaking wet.

lazyboy97o

I sincerely doubt that would make every fan happy. A 45+ year old concept that was passed on the first time? I think I'm fine with the model....
Western River Expedition wasn't passed over because it had story problems. It had huge expense "problems."

I'll discount a raft ride on the sole basis that they'll need to clean the water. Rivers of America is connected to Seven Seas Lagoon... Same brain eating amoebas in the water as over by River Country, the Poly, Wildy Lodge, etc.

I'm completely in "wait and see" mode....
No water ride would just suck in water. Splash Mountain isn't using the swamp water of the adjacent Rivers of America.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
I hope they don't build a water ride to get wet on... we already have splash mountain (and pirates on occasion which is surprising lol) - that's a lot of land around TSI especially if they fill in some of the water ways.

Family attractions that suck up crowds is what the park needs... I may be in the minority but I'd rather see high thrill rides at the other 3 parks

Bocabear

Well you already have a log flume and roller coaster in Frontierland...An Omnimover or highly themed boat ride a la Pirates would be a wonderful placemaking anchor to the expansion area....Aren't there a bunch of AA figures sitting in a warehouse somewhere from the World Of Motion that were cowboy themed?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I hope they don't build a water ride to get wet on... we already have splash mountain (and pirates on occasion which is surprising lol) - that's a lot of land around TSI especially if they fill in some of the water ways.

Family attractions that suck up crowds is what the park needs... I may be in the minority but I'd rather see high thrill rides at the other 3 parks
I would agree. I might want a 1000 guest per hour thrill ride that will melt my face off, but MK needs some serious 2000-3000 guest per hour people eaters with no height restrictions.

ToTBellHop

That's some A+ adulting right there.

I would love a new thrill ride, but that is definitely not what MK needs to help with crowds.
A thrill ride is the ride the MK deserves, but not the one it needs right now (it needs a Dark Ride).

In fairness, a raft ride would have the same height requirement as 7DMT. 38". Hardly a high requirement. The average 3-year old is tall enough for Kali (i.e. the average guest with an actual ticket that cost money).

I can actually imagine lot's of kids being excited to ride a raft ride a year before they are tall enough for Splash (similar to kids liking 7DMT a year before they are tall enough for Big Thunder).

Last edited:

wdwfan757

I dont think MK needs any more dark rides. I view Universal as highly repititive because of the overreliance on simulators. I don't think MK would be any better if it was dark-ride mania.

As for a raft ride, I don't think it's a bad idea at all, and the proximity to splash is a GOOD thing. I like that IoA's water rides are all close by each other because it lets you drop your stuff off and repeatedly get drenched without having to walk all over the place dripping wet. I do agree that they're hard to theme to MK standards. The only rapids ride that really impressed me from a theming standpoint is DCA's and the only one that's impressed me from an actual ride perspective (in terms of getting everyone fairly wet without just dumping waterfalls on you) is roman rapids at BGW. So it's a tough spot to fill. I'd rather them do nothing than touch TSI or the Liberty Belle though. They are great answers to people who get overwhelmed by the crowds. I have handled more than one bout of "THERE ARE TOO MANY PEOPLE HERE" by suggesting a leisurely trip around RoA or a break on the Island.

I just feel like touching Frontierland should be so far down TDO's to do list. Obviously DHS and AK are being taken care of, but Future World needs a lot more work than MK does, and if you really want to plus MK, tomorrowland is begging for attention and has been for years. Unlike a lot of people, I think Monsters is extremely well done and should be appreciated.. but probably not in tomorrowland. If the only two choices were keeping it and canning it altogether, i'd keep it. I don't want to threadjack, I just dont see anything gained here unless they want to literally just add square footage onto the park to spread out the crowds. In which case, using the expansion pad is the only thing that makes sense.

wdwfan757

I'm very bored of the idea that every big project that Disney tackles has to have a thrill ride.

But not bored that every big project that Disney tackles has to have a dark ride? FLE... little mermaid (dark ride). Avatar... boat ride (dark ride). Last two "re-dos" at Epcot? Nemo/Frozen dark rides. I have no problem keeping MK relatively tame for the sake of family fun, but no one is asking for Hulk Coaster here.

Sage of Time

But not bored that every big project that Disney tackles has to have a dark ride? FLE... little mermaid (dark ride). Avatar... boat ride (dark ride). Last two "re-dos" at Epcot? Nemo/Frozen dark rides. I have no problem keeping MK relatively tame for the sake of family fun, but no one is asking for Hulk Coaster here.
Not really. Cars Land had a thrill ride... SDMT... I'd love to see a slow and expansive AA tour again.

Nemo and Frozen are not that. We'll see about Avatar.

Bocabear

Absolutely!...but truthfully Tomorrowland needs more attention...Tomorrowland could use a good immersive ride..not necessarily a coaster. Mover Monsters to DHS for Pixar Place where it makes lots of sense for it to be, and then put in something amazing.
Stitch just needs to go away completely... The Speedway has it's fans, but maybe it needs to be reimagined like they did in Hong Kong...Make the cars look futuristic....and electric...with some great theming thruout the ride....then it's placement in Tomorrowland might make more sense as well. The identity of the land has just gotten muddled.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Absolutely!...but truthfully Tomorrowland needs more attention...Tomorrowland could use a good immersive ride..not necessarily a coaster. Mover Monsters to DHS for Pixar Place where it makes lots of sense for it to be, and then put in something amazing.
Stitch just needs to go away completely... The Speedway has it's fans, but maybe it needs to be reimagined like they did in Hong Kong...Make the cars look futuristic....and electric...with some great theming thruout the ride....then it's placement in Tomorrowland might make more sense as well. The identity of the land has just gotten muddled.
Totally agree with everything you said here. Tomorrowland is no longer futuristic. It made sense when the original concept was conceived but really needs something that we can marvel at. It seems over the years that they just threw in whatever they wanted with no true thinking around theme. To me (while I still enjoy it) Buzz was sort of thrown in there. I get that its space themed which is a bit of a stretch for Tomorrowland but it really belongs in DHS in my humble opinion (I know Toy Story Mania is already there but this is where it should have been in the first place)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom