Possible Changes coming to the Guest Assistance Cards (GAC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

natatomic

Not necessarily. There are different stamps on different GAC's depending on the guest's needs, and not every ride's fast pass line will necessarily serve that guest the best way. Like other posters have said, there are, often times, lines for guests with mobility disabilities that aren't always obvious. While, yes, having a GAC or wheelchair may get you to the front of some lines, it may not do the same for other rides, depending on how they train those cast members to deal with guests with disabilities.

True, but a vast majority of the GACs (upwards of 95% I'm willing to bet, and I'm sure there are other attraction CMs on here who would agree with that number) include the "Alternate Entrance" stamp, which is the one that uses the fastpass lines at attractions with fastpasses. If you get a GAC at either MK or Studios, ALL GACs are pre-stamped with the "Alternate Entrance." Only Epcot and DAK still dare to give out the other stamps on their own, and even then, once the guest realize it's not the all-day FP they were expecting (especially when they see another family with the "same" red card who ARE being admitted to the FP lines immediately), they usually go back to Guest Relations and pitch a big enough fit to get the "Alternate Entrance." Or they just learn the trick of going to the "right" park's GR.

The worst thing is that there are an unsettling number of people who get the "Alternate Entrance" stamped GACs, but then they demand that they get the green light stamp instead, which is reserved for GKTW only. I don't know what the perceived benefit is - there is very little difference between the way the two are treated at most attractions (maybe they would get on faster at TSMM or Soarin' or something? Honestly, every attraction I have ever worked, the two stamps are given the exact same treatment). I feel like those who want the green light stamps are the ones faking it - the ones with the entitlement mentality of I-am-special-and-deserve-immediate-gratification-in-all-things-always-everywhere.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
You can not equate a wheelchair with a ghetto. A ghetto completely encloses and traps a person. You had said you wanted him to not stand out and I said a GAC stands out just like a wheelchair. And I really do not think it is about your child. Who would not love to have a front of the line pass instead of waiting in line. Everyone with a disability here is saying we would love the chance to stand in line if they could. You have that option with a wheelchair but choose the GAC option. Which is your choice but do not pretend you are doing it in you child's best interest.
Do you pay attention at all?!?!?!?

I do not have a disabled child, I was independently replying to your bigoted, arrogant post.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Let's say with this new FP+ system you are able to choose your 3-4 fastpasses for the day ahead of time. And if you qualified for a GAC with the old system, you are now qualified for an additional 3-4 fastpasses for the day, and they can even be repeated fastpasses - i.e., your initial 3-4 FPs must all be for different attractions, but your additional ones may repeat each attraction one additional time, if you would like to. (Obviously, this is all hypothetical. I have no idea if this is how it's going to work out).
Now you can plan your day appropriate to your needs. Obviously, you won't be able to go from ride to ride with an instant FP like you do now, but in between FPs you will have enough time for those longer bathroom visits, you will still be able to walk at your slower pace if needed from attraction to attraction, you can see an air conditioned show in between FP (which so rarely have a wait beyond waiting for the actual show time itself) or at least take a breather in the shade, and you can even plan for an extended break between FPs so that if you're one of those who need to leave the park for a rest you are able to.
Obviously there is still a benefit as you would get twice as many fastpasses as non-disabled guests, however, it would still significantly cut down on the abuse seen now (i.e. guests who use their GACs to access an e-ticket's FP line 15 times in a row, which DOES happen). Plus, you could space the FPs out according to YOUR specific needs - plan them around meal, nap, and bathroom times - which is what this new system is supposed to do for everyone anyway.

Could this satisfy the masses (both disabled and non-disabled alike?) In my humble opinion, I think a system like this tied into the new FP+ system still provides reasonable accommodations that those who truly need them would still be thankful to have, yet it significantly would cut down on the "cheaters" from abusing the "instant & immediate" access they have now.

What does everyone think about this idea? I actually think the number of abusers might go up a bit because guilt is a powerful motivator and by decreasing reward you are also decreasing the guilt to a point where more would be willing to lie to get more FP+'s. However, I still think the idea has merit since it would eliminate the 15 times in row abuse @natatomic mentions. How about something even simpler? Every FP+ ride has a stamp and once you've used your GAC to access that ride, you get it stamped. Thus, you still get the easy attraction access for those who need it, but people can't lope through the fastpass line again and again whilst everyone is standing out in the heat sweating buckets.....

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
First off, oh, the abuse isn't as bad at WDW? How about the many, many first hand accounts and reports in this thread alone from both guests, cast members, and guest relations cast members that actually hand them out? Take it from me, and everyone else, it is exactly as bad. YOU haven't seen it because you aren't looking for it and you aren't working there dealing with it.
And the situation you described of waiting longer for a wheelchair vehicle - that again only applies to people with actual mobility issues, and not the thousands of families per day that are completely perfectly able but are getting the cards anyway.
Yep, especially considering all it really requires is a simple lie to guest relations.

My point was that during the last four years I could readily identify less than 5 instances of apparent abuse as well as maby another 5 or 10 cases that I really wondered about. Usually these guests were also the ones complaining to the Cast Members and causing the most issues. IMHO only, like on this board, sometimes the loudest voices are the ones that stand out and are remembered, we DO look for it because it REALLY makes me mad. My small sample is also during the most extreme busy periods and may be avoided by people that abuse the GAC program for the most part because the receive little to no benefit during the holidays.

Disney NEEDS to fix the abuse problem, no question about it. IMHO the guests MOST affected by the abuse are the ones the program is meant for and I have written note after note to WDW Guest Services about the potential for abuse and at times the actual abuse while in line behind someone openly bragging about it, most of the time I get a friendly brush-off note.

My point with mobility issues is that, for example TSMM has a second queue. if we wait in the standby queue and then the wheelchair queue our typical wait would be well over 3 hours, as I stated before our wait in the accessible queue is usually 45-60 minutes just in the secondary queue and gets much higher during peak ride times (11 to 4) and with no ability to even see what the expected wait will be until we get in there and become "trapped" of sorts because there is always someone right behind us making an exit very difficult.

And you are 100% correct about how easy it is to get one, way too easy. I sincerely hope they implement FP+ type return times with only a few GAC at a time on each attraction, limiting the "benefit" that is percieved by so many and accomodating the accesibily issues that families do in fact need.

flynnibus

Premium Member
So the consistent thing we hear is... If Disney builds wheelchair specific vehicles, those rides tend to be the ones with the worst wait for the disabled.

Sad irony...

arko

So the consistent thing we hear is... If Disney builds wheelchair specific vehicles, those rides tend to be the ones with the worst wait for the disabled.

Sad irony...

not necessarily, but on rides that have poor throughput and a limited number of wheelchair cars it can get bad TSMM is the best example, because if you go through the regular 1 hour plus wait in standby in a wheelchair, you then have to wait on the ramp, and they have to stop the other cars.

Here is an image from Disney itself
tsmm-assistanceloading.jpg

the problem becomes apparent since all wheelchair traffic is funneled this way, both those that can transfer and wheelchair bound, the wheelchair bound car which allows the chair simply to be wheeled onto the only accepts one chair at a time, plus those that can transfer can take longer to board, and the CM operator has to divert a car from the regular line for transferring cars.

rct247

not necessarily, but on rides that have poor throughput and a limited number of wheelchair cars it can get bad TSMM is the best example, because if you go through the regular 1 hour plus wait in standby in a wheelchair, you then have to wait on the ramp, and they have to stop the other cars.

the problem becomes if apparent since all wheelchair traffic is funneled this way, both those that can transfer and wheelchair bound, the wheelchair bound car which allows the chair simply to be wheeled onto the only accepts one chair at a time, plus those that can transfer can take longer to board, and the CM operator has to divert a car from the regular line for transferring cars.

One of problems with Toy Story Midway Mania is that they allow ECVs into the queue. Many guests don't entirely need ECVs or at least don't need the designated wheelchair loading area, but because it is convenient to just drive it in vs parking and standing, it ends up making the line longer for those who do need it. Some attractions are now not allowing ECVs into their attractions requiring guests to transfer to a regular wheelchair. Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin is a great example of this. The result is many ECV users then decide it's "not worth the hassle of transfering to a wheelchair" and suck it up to join the regular queue which cuts down on the need for the alternate loading area or loading vehicles.

True, but a vast majority of the GACs (upwards of 95% I'm willing to bet, and I'm sure there are other attraction CMs on here who would agree with that number) include the "Alternate Entrance" stamp, which is the one that uses the fastpass lines at attractions with fastpasses.

I also agree with this. Most GAC cards have the alternate entrance stamp on them. Sometimes they have a conflicting stamp that would have sent them through a regular queue, but that alternate entrance stamp overrides it. While I am not one to say who really needs it or not, I know there is abuse. They are the ones that say "where do we go with the Fastpass" as they show it. Some come up and say "Can we use this here to cut the line" or "Does this ride need this". Others throw a fit when their stamp doesn't cut the line saying that it did at another attraction including attractions that don't have an alternate entrance. Abusers also get upset when they can't take their entire family over 6 guests on, but is especially evident when a group of 15 has 3 GAC cards to make sure their entire party gets to skip the line together.

Lord_Vader

the problem becomes apparent since all wheelchair traffic is funneled this way, both those that can transfer and wheelchair bound, the wheelchair bound car which allows the chair simply to be wheeled onto the only accepts one chair at a time, plus those that can transfer can take longer to board, and the CM operator has to divert a car from the regular line for transferring cars.

Great post!

TSMM and BTMRR are the two worst rides for guests in wheelchairs and unfortunately they aretwo of my wife's top 10 rides. The main problem for mobility access to both is the stairs to get on the ride vehicles requiring special access.

flynnibus

Premium Member
not necessarily, but on rides that have poor throughput and a limited number of wheelchair cars it can get bad

Can you provide an example of an attraction with wheelchair specific vehicles that doesn't have a 'limited number of wheelchair cars'?

The transfers are sent to that side as well because a wheelchair bound person is unlikely to be able to climb the narrow stairs up and down that the regular queue takes.

arko

Can you provide an example of an attraction with wheelchair specific vehicles that doesn't have a 'limited number of wheelchair cars'?

The transfers are sent to that side as well because a wheelchair bound person is unlikely to be able to climb the narrow stairs up and down that the regular queue takes.

right the stairs are what creates the problems unlike say Winnie the pooh where the wheelchair accessible car runs along the same route as everyone else and transfer riders generally use the regular mechanism and park outdoors leaving only those who really need a wheelchair accessible to wait on the side. With TSMM the cars have to be diverted from the regular track which causes a stop and slowdown for everyone.

Lord_Vader

right the stairs are what creates the problems unlike say Winnie the pooh where the wheelchair accessible car runs along the same route as everyone else and transfer riders generally use the regular mechanism and park outdoors leaving only those who really need a wheelchair accessible to wait on the side. With TSMM the cars have to be diverted from the regular track which causes a stop and slowdown for everyone.

Last Christmas the line to the wheelchair ramp was past the merge point, the Cast Member asked if there was any way my wife could transfer but she cannot walk that far or up/down the stairs,my son counted at least 12 parties in front of us and we expected to wait around two hours as it typically seems like it takes about 10 minutes per party. As a result of us effectively blocking the FP entrance the Cast Member went into the queue where they sent four or five of the wheelchairs to the exit where they were placed on the ride vehicles from the exist side to help clear the line. This happened twice more while we were in line that day, resulting in us getting on much faster, clearing 3 or so wheelchair groups in 20 minute intervals but if they had not I imagine the line would have extended halfway through the FP line.

armyfamilyof5

Sorry to run with the issue a bit but....Since there is someone from GR here I have always wanted to ask this about the GAC. Is there anything that can be used for people who have issues with the sun? Not a heat issue, but literally an allergy to over sun exposure...or sunscreen, we've never figured it out (not the ped, not the dermatologist, they don't know). My poor dd comes home every trip swollen and red, and we usually spend a week or two battling the ensuing eczema that follows her burns because she is allergic to all types of sunscreen, but without it she also reacts almost as badly to sun exposure. It prevents us from doing things like waiting for the daytime parade in sunny spots, waiting in character lines that aren't shaded....we also avoid summer trips (she roasts in 20 minutes) and we carry an umbrella most days to help...we'll never visit a waterpark I'm sure.
I just always wondered if there was anything offered to at least allow for shady waiting areas, or faster line access for situations where there is no shaded option. We were so bummed when characters were removed from the EMH nights because we've always had to tour the parks late for her benefit.

Part of me has always feared if we asked for anything we'd be treated rudely but it is something that is an actual problem we deal with every day.

this is typical of what she looks like after sun exposure or attempted sunscreen use.

sunexposure_zpse9174797.jpg

wr8055.jpg

Your daughter is a beauty! Sorry to hear about her sun allergies, I can imagine it's very stressful for you.

natatomic

What does everyone think about this idea? I actually think the number of abusers might go up a bit because guilt is a powerful motivator and by decreasing reward you are also decreasing the guilt to a point where more would be willing to lie to get more FP+'s. However, I still think the idea has merit since it would eliminate the 15 times in row abuse @natatomic mentions. How about something even simpler? Every FP+ ride has a stamp and once you've used your GAC to access that ride, you get it stamped. Thus, you still get the easy attraction access for those who need it, but people can't lope through the fastpass line again and again whilst everyone is standing out in the heat sweating buckets.....

I actually had that same thought, but then I thought the reverse might be true as well - that with the current GAC system being as overly-generous as it is, more people might be willing to lie because the pay off is just SO great with absolutely no consequence (let's be honest, no one thinks their little family of four going through the same FP line 3-4 times in an hour is hurting anyone - it's a "big picture" that's hard to see), especially coupled with the "I paid $4000 for this once-in-a-lifetime trip, and dangit I'm gonna get my money's worth" mentality.

I really have no idea which theory is more correct - I'm definitely not a psychology major! Lol. I can see it working both ways, though.

TP2000

For those of you complaining about the abuse, special access, front of the line passes, I sincerely wish you could experience sitting in a four foot wide blank/boring hallway for over an hour while moving at about three feet every 20 MINUTES to ride a 2 minute ride and then hear all about how you get a front of the line pass.

You just described pretty much every Standby line at any D Ticket or E Ticket attraction in California or Florida. Except the Standby lines often take two or three hours instead of one hour, and no one who endures a two hour Standby line enjoys it.
7376017690_5d1185e5ae_z.jpg

Or maybe a four hour Standby line? That's not fun either. Bring water, snacks, and a crossword puzzle or three.

Victor Kelly

Your daughter is a beauty! Sorry to hear about her sun allergies, I can imagine it's very stressful for you.

She is adorable. Yes this little girl is the perfect example of someone who will need the GAC. There is no reason to feel guilt or be uncomfortable about asking for help. She has a condition that is not a norm. I have sensitivity to bright light which gives me painfull migraines. Thankfully most of the attractions have lines that are shaded or inside. Between the attractions may be the worst for your little girl.

armyfamilyof5

It's not about not listening its about the desire for a 5 year old to not stand out and be as normal as possible, also a wheelchair is not like a stroller once in he has to rely on someone else to get him out, which even at that young age he understands.
He is still only 5 and sometimes he doesn't know what is best for him but you, as his parent, do know what is best for him. My son has a lazy eye and has had to wear glasses since he was very little, he didn't want to wear them to school since kindergarten because the other children made fun of him and his eye, as he got older he would tell us the other kids thought he was weak because he wore glasses. As his parent I explained to him the doctor's (eye specialist) and I know what is best for him and he will wear his glasses. As a parent you just have to put your foot down and tell them how the cow eats the cabbage, if you don't at the age of 5 you will have your hands full when he gets older. I feel your pain!

Edit to add, his one lens is like coke bottle thick and he wears special braces for his feet which we have never made an issue of so he doesn't even mention them any longer.

JLipnick

He is still only 5 and sometimes he doesn't know what is best for him but you, as his parent, do know what is best for him. My son has a lazy eye and has had to wear glasses since he was very little, he didn't want to wear them to school since kindergarten because the other children made fun of him and his eye, as he got older he would tell us the other kids thought he was weak because he wore glasses. As his parent I explained to him the doctor's (eye specialist) and I know what is best for him and he will wear his glasses. As a parent you just have to put your foot down and tell them how the cow eats the cabbage, if you don't at the age of 5 you will have your hands full when he gets older. I feel your pain!

Edit to add, his one lens is like coke bottle thick and he wears special braces for his feet which we have never made an issue of so he doesn't even mention them any longer.

Sorry, but it was my 5 year old son that this was referring to. He wants to be like other kids his age. While I understand that we are the adults, is if fair to him to force him to be confined when no other kids his age have to be confined? There are SO many things in this world he may never get a chance to do (such as roller skating - he went to a party at a roller skating rink and they wouldn't let us take him on with his walker. EVERY other kid was out there except him. Call that fair?). I am not going to make him cry just because he wants to be normal. My point is it is easy to say what we should do with our disabled child until that disabled child is yours. Believe me, I would MUCH, MUCH, MUCH rather wait in the 1-2 hour line and have him able to walk independently. he can't stand, he can't dress or undress himself, he can't get to the bathroom on his own, etc. I don't think most parents understand what parents of kids with physical disabilities have to go through and more importantly what those kids have to go through. one last thing. when he is 10 or 12 (unless god willing he is walking by then), then i would say it is fair to think they will understand that they can't do everything. but 5 year olds don't understand. you can't let them walk over you, i agree, but in our case, i would love for him to be able to walk over me!

armyfamilyof5

Sorry, but it was my 5 year old son that this was referring to. He wants to be like other kids his age. While I understand that we are the adults, is if fair to him to force him to be confined when no other kids his age have to be confined? There are SO many things in this world he may never get a chance to do (such as roller skating - he went to a party at a roller skating rink and they wouldn't let us take him on with his walker. EVERY other kid was out there except him. Call that fair?). I am not going to make him cry just because he wants to be normal. My point is it is easy to say what we should do with our disabled child until that disabled child is yours. Believe me, I would MUCH, MUCH, MUCH rather wait in the 1-2 hour line and have him able to walk independently. he can't stand, he can't dress or undress himself, he can't get to the bathroom on his own, etc. I don't think most parents understand what parents of kids with physical disabilities have to go through and more importantly what those kids have to go through. one last thing. when he is 10 or 12 (unless god willing he is walking by then), then i would say it is fair to think they will understand that they can't do everything. but 5 year olds don't understand. you can't let them walk over you, i agree, but in our case, i would love for him to be able to walk over me!
I'm sorry your little guy is having such a hard time. I've made my son cry many times over his braces on his feet and his glasses, I've cried in private about the unfairness from other children but standing firm has worked for us, his glasses are almost normal ones now and his eye is almost unnoticeable, he can run and ride a bike, we are truly blessed. I was saying making your child do something they don't like but is for the best medically doesn't make you the bad guy, just a good mom doing the best for your child. He is lucky to have you on his side supporting him and God willing his condition will improve. My son's problems are not near as severe as yours and I did not mean to belittle your situation in any way, it's true no one can speak for you or what you are going through. When parents with kids with Autism post here it I applaud their courage, often children with Autism cannot be reasoned with as they don't have the ability to think that way and I hope for them, for children like your son and other's with disabilities WDW can continue to provide services that allow them to enjoy the parks regardless of how they do it.

joanna71985

Pulling the vehicle to the side (at TSM) doesn't take that long.

Kittencheshire

Reading these Forums I kinda lost faith in some of the Disney community

I have Sever Social Anxiety which is Literally the FEAR of people
(Social anxiety is a discomfort or a fear when a person is in social interactions that involve a concern about being judged or evaluated by others.[1] It is typically characterized by an intense fear of what others are thinking about them (specifically fear of embarrassment, criticism, or rejection), which results in the individual feeling insecure, and that they are not good enough for other people.)
The GAC is great for me if i want to go on a ride or two during my visit to the park
I've gotten rude comments that have thrown me into a mental break down from other guests about me not being disabled .
I really hope they dont get rid of the GAC passes all together because I wouldn't be able to handle the lines without a mental break down :(
[just my two cents]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom