Possible Changes coming to the Guest Assistance Cards (GAC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yensid1974

A few things here from someone who actually works in the parks....

Unless you are in the parks on a very consistent basis you can't really get a good idea of the state of the GAC system. All you can really judge is what you experience and see from a very limited basis which wouldn't be enough to get a good feel for the reality of the situation. That doesn't mean your opinion is invalid, just that your assumptions are based on incomplete information no more no less. Without doing a full blown scientific study on the fraud in the system with cooperation of the company and guests (which will likely never, ever happen), we can only go by what the CM's in the parks are saying as it is the most complete information we are probably going to get.

From the perspective of a CM in the parks, I know that there is a significant amount of GAC cards going out to those who really shouldn't have them. It has already been discussed what groups/individuals that are included in the group that get these so I will not be going into this here, although I have strong opinions on this as well. It is enough of a problem that the system must not only be changed, but the expectations of who are the groups/individuals that are approved to participate in the new systems MUST be very specific to help in avoiding as much of the "fraud" as possible. I just hope that they have taken the time to examine systems from companies from far and wide to develop something that takes the best of each system and mitigates the issues from each to provide something that can work on a better, more consistent basis. Really, one has to remember that for each family that is using a GAC that really shouldn't be, that means more time waiting for those families that truly are in NEED if the GAC card as well as the guests without them also.

Ultimately for the CM's and the company, we want our guests to ALL have an equally memorable, exciting, and yes Magical experience when they come to the parks. When we look at our guests, we try not to see color, race, nationality, sexual orientation, religion, or disability...we just see our guests and we want to see them all having a great time because to be honest, that is the real motivation for what we do.

BigThunderMatt

Can I just ask one simple question:

If you cannot stand up for long periods of time, be out in the sun, have anxiety around large groups of people, your child has ADD, ADHD, or autism that prevents them from being able to tolerate long periods of waiting...why did you spend thousands of dollars to come to a place that has abundant sunshine, large crowds and even longer lines/wait times, and requires you to be semi-mobile at least 75% of the time?

Seems to me that if my life was that crappy in a myriad of ways I would not make things miserable for myself by going to the one place that's going to exacerbate any and all issues I might have.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.

If you cannot stand up for long periods of time, be out in the sun, have anxiety around large groups of people, your child has ADD, ADHD, or autism that prevents them from being able to tolerate long periods of waiting...why did you spend thousands of dollars to come to a place that has abundant sunshine, large crowds and even longer lines/wait times, and requires you to be semi-mobile at least 75% of the time?

Seems to me that if my life was that crappy in a myriad of ways I would not make things miserable for myself by going to the one place that's going to exacerbate any and all issues I might have.

Maybe they do it so they can be part of the magic with their children/grandchildren?!?

Maybe they do it for the same reasons the rest of us do, to escape into the Disney bubble.

ddrongowski

we just see our guests and we want to see them all having a great time because to be honest, that is the real motivation for what we do.
That is not what they tell us at the share holders meetings. You do know that Disney is a money making business... right?

arko

Because despite their problems just like many other kids they really want to go, and will endure some levels of discomfort(that level varies depending on child) to get there and enjoy themselves. I can only speak from personal experience, but you have to gauge your child's ability to tolerate stimuli, and figure out ways to compensate. We live in Florida and have been annual pass holders off and on for 8 years. When we first started going my son was 5, and his first visit was a bit of a disaster even with the GAC. The simple story was he wouldn't go on many of the rides and the noise was too much. So we tried Sea World , which was much better because much of it was open air shows and a lot less rides, so we went there for 2 years. But then we got a Disney planning dvd and he watched it daily for a month, and wanted to go, so we bought noise cancelling headphones and gave it another go, and he loved it.
We realized why he didn't go on many of the rides and that was they were an unknown, he couldn't see what was going to happen, but once he saw them he wanted to do them.
Now his definition of enjoying Disney is probably much different than yours or mine. Even today at 13 , you will never find him on any E ticket other than Soarin, although he did do Test Track last time, and once he did BTMRR, with his eyes shut the whole time. His idea of awesome is all the anime stuff at the Japanese Pavillon and getting food. His ride selection is limited and the time we spend in a park usually doesn't go past 5 hours
But over time the repeated trips helped ease his sensitivity to noise and crowds in general. With lines however the problem is not one of a crowd but the lack of an exit point, which if he got upset could cause him to panic and bolt.
Also you have to remember that these people are often members of families with other children, and so they are there with the family.
So its not that cut and dry

Goofyernmost

Maybe they do it so they can be part of the magic with their children/grandchildren?!?

Maybe they do it for the same reasons the rest of us do, to escape into the Disney bubble.
Although, your answer is correct, for as far as it goes, the just of the question is one that I wonder about as well. If I were prone to skin cancer so severe that I have to stay out of the sun as much as possible, number one, I would not go to the Sunshine State for any reason if being there made me spend uncontrollable times in the sun regardless of precautions taken. Would I like to go, yes, but, I would have a physical problem that says that I cannot experience it. It's not a shame to not be able to do stuff, it is, however, not reasonable to expect everyone to move heaven and earth to accommodate you. You are responsible for your own health and if you are foolish enough to trust a unknown third party to protect you...you might be in trouble.

If you cannot handle heat, then Florida in the summer is not the place for you. You might want to be there, but, you, not someone else, is putting your health and possibly your life at risk to go there. Is it worth it? I don't see how.

If you have a child that panics when in crowds or cannot wait in a line or cannot handle high activity or loud noises, you may want them to experience what you find as a wonderful time at a Disney Park, however, I fail to see how it is a wonderful time for them. You may be having a good time, but, you're not suffering from anxiety, they are. You may justify it because of that one precious moment when the child responds positively to the environment, but it is a fleeting moment and the rest of the time they are miserable. I almost see that as cruel and not loving at all. I don't think that I would ever have wanted to subject my child to that kind of stress if I could avoid it. That would be something that would have to wait until they could handle it. I would never have thought that others, that are unrelated and not directly connected to them should be asked to sacrifice their enjoyment to accommodate someone that didn't really have to be there. I will stand aside all day long for a Make-a-Wish child, because they may not have a tomorrow to work with. Others, in my mind, have to weigh their actual need against their desire balanced on the degree of the problem and the amount that others have to be affected in order to make that happen.

arko

Although, your answer is correct, for as far as it goes, the just of the question is one that I wonder about as well. If I were prone to skin cancer so severe that I have to stay out of the sun as much as possible, number one, I would not go to the Sunshine State for any reason if being there made me spend uncontrollable times in the sun regardless of precautions taken. Would I like to go, yes, but, I would have a physical problem that says that I cannot experience it. It's not a shame to not be able to do stuff, it is, however, not reasonable to expect everyone to move heaven and earth to accommodate you. You are responsible for your own health and if you are foolish enough to trust a unknown third party to protect you...you might be in trouble.

If you cannot handle heat, then Florida in the summer is not the place for you. You might want to be there, but, you, not someone else, is putting your health and possibly your life at risk to go there. Is it worth it? I don't see how.

If you have a child that panics when in crowds or cannot wait in a line or cannot handle high activity or loud noises, you may want them to experience what you find as a wonderful time at a Disney Park, however, I fail to see how it is a wonderful time for them. You may be having a good time, but, you're not suffering from anxiety, they are. You may justify it because of that one precious moment when the child responds positively to the environment, but it is a fleeting moment and the rest of the time they are miserable. I almost see that as cruel and not loving at all. I don't think that I would ever have wanted to subject my child to that kind of stress if I could avoid it. That would be something that would have to wait until they could handle it. I would never have thought that others, that are unrelated and not directly connected to them should be asked to sacrifice their enjoyment to accommodate someone that didn't really have to be there. I will stand aside all day long for a Make-a-Wish child, because they may not have a tomorrow to work with. Others, in my mind, have to weigh their actual need against their desire balanced on the degree of the problem and the amount that others have to be affected in order to make that happen.

Lets put it this way, if we did not have the GAC, we probably would stop going, not because we would lose a perk, but because without it, as you said it may no longer be a wonderful time for us. Every child is different and Disney has chosen to go the extra mile in helping those kids and adults enjoy Disney just like everyone else.

Lets be clear here, its not the disabled using a GAC that is a problem it is the able bodied and able minded abusing a system meant to help those who might not be at Disney otherwise that is the problem.

Jakester

I have just went to get my current pass updated and they were informing me that "because you are cast we must notify management". Personally I feel as if this is nonsense and encourage anybody with disapprovements to these changes speak with guest relations.
I do not feel as if it is their concern what I do outside of the work environment.

arko

I have just went to get my current pass updated and they were informing me that "because you are cast we must notify management". Personally I feel as if this is nonsense and encourage anybody with disapprovements to these changes speak with guest relations.
I do not feel as if it is their concern what I do outside of the work environment.

Are you entering the park on a bought pass or using employee pass?

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.

It all comes down to personal choices, each of us must make our own choices but it is not my place to question yours and vice-versa.

I wasn't speaking specifically and agree with you on some points, however there are guests that in general only ask for minor assistance which can/does allow them to enjoy the parks when they simply could not without some assistance that general guests do not enjoy.

I personally have experienced the parks with and without GAC, and I can state emphatically I would much rather enjoy the parks as a regular guest in standard queues and not being forced into wheelchair access areas/lines that neither move fast or offer a quicker alternative during the Chrstmas holdays, been visiting during the Christmas holidays for 10 years plus.

As for children with developmental issues or any disabled party, each parent/group must make their own assesment based on the information they have and their child's expected behavior. It is not my place to judge anyone else for their choices unless it directly imposes on my vacation, a couple minute longer wait is not an imposition to me. If I have to give up an extra 2 or 3 minutes, even 10 minutes, per attraction to allow for special needs children instant access I will gladly do so, always! Having seen first hand some of the life difficulties the children and families go through, I consider it is a very minor inconvience for those of us who can freely walk around the parks from open to close to endure so they can have a lifelong memory that may not be possible without GAC.

Maybe if everyone would focus on their own time with their family and not on others that may or may not be getting special treatment, their vacation would be much more enjoyable.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward

Seems Disney is making sure no employees are getting unneeded GACs.

misterID

I have a friend who did overheat once in he park and had to go to first aid. But his solution is drinking more, not a GAC

Yes, wow, that's like a perfect comparison to her problem, dealing with real medical issues and skin cancer. All she needs to do is drink more water. Problem solved. Awesome.

Well, I would think that the answer is that the opinions of a bunch of uninformed, self-absorbed, bozos, who feel it necessary to tell people what they should or shouldn't do, really doesn't mean jack to them. They're going to enjoy their vacations with their loved ones. And Disney allows them to do that. That's why.

PirateFrank

From the perspective of a CM in the parks, I know that there is a significant amount of GAC cards going out to those who really shouldn't have them......Really, one has to remember that for each family that is using a GAC that really shouldn't be, that means more time waiting for those families that truly are in NEED if the GAC card as well as the guests without them also.

Thank you for your post. This puts into words exactly why I find this type of fraud so frustrating. People who are sympathetic to GAC abusers (most likely GAC users themselves who are fearful that their correct use or incorrect abuse may be called into question) are very quick to label someone who is not sympathetic some not-so-nice adjective. But the fact is, that there is *always* a victim when fraud happens.

In this particular case, for every GAC abuser, there are legitimately needy GAC users or regular paying park guests forced to suffer with longer lines/inconveniences. Call me a heartless , but it really chaps my cans when I hear about this abuse because, frankly, I paid for the same experience...and it's not insignificant. It's shameful that I have to wait longer because I didn't think it was appropriate to cheat the system. Moreover, the greater the price to park entry gets, the more serious the crime, in my eyes.

I've been saying for a long time now, that a GAC user should *never* derive a benefit that is advantageous over a regular paying park guest. Otherwise, the lure will always result in fraud. If you can't wait in line for an attraction, provide a waiting area where the person must sit and wait. Don't give him/her and his whole family a fast pass where they can go do something else during the waiting period. That is an advantage. plain and simple.

This problem is an easy one to fix. Make a GAC user wait, not shop, the same length of time for an attraction that a regular guest is forced to wait. If they cant wait, they can use a fastpass or fastpass+, just like us regular joes. Once the GAC, in all respects, is no longer an advantage, there will be no more fraud.....plain and simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom