Possible Changes coming to the Guest Assistance Cards (GAC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

StarWarsGirl

Although, your answer is correct, for as far as it goes, the just of the question is one that I wonder about as well. If I were prone to skin cancer so severe that I have to stay out of the sun as much as possible, number one, I would not go to the Sunshine State for any reason if being there made me spend uncontrollable times in the sun regardless of precautions taken. Would I like to go, yes, but, I would have a physical problem that says that I cannot experience it. It's not a shame to not be able to do stuff, it is, however, not reasonable to expect everyone to move heaven and earth to accommodate you. You are responsible for your own health and if you are foolish enough to trust a unknown third party to protect you...you might be in trouble.
But you see, that's you, and it has to be a personal decision for everyone. I have asthma and allergies. I'm allergic to Hawaiian flowers. I don't have any plans to go back to Hawaii any time soon. But someone else might take really strong allergy meds and go back. Me? I'd prefer not to even risk it. I also have a pineapple allergy. But I eat the orange-flavored Dole whip. Someone else might choose not to go anywhere near the stand. I have the chef come out at restaurants and have never had an issue (unless I've somehow failed to speak up). Someone else might only eat food they prepare themselves. It's about knowing your condition. And the fact is you must live your life in spite of it, whether it be at home or in Disney. And how is asking a big, well-known company like Disney for accommodations any different than asking your school or employer for accommodations? Considering how my high school was with handling my asthma and allergies and how Disney is, I'd rather have Disney handle it.;)

misterID

Know what you do for skin cancer? You wear protection... you don't require special handling.. you require the need to wear or use protection.

Who the hell do you think you are, man? @IWantMyMagicBand went out of her way to explain her situation, posted her doctors note, and you've done nothing but be snarky, condescending and dissmissive, (which seems to be the trend with you no matter the subject) like every other who seems to have a problem with ANYONE using these cards. What she does is not your decision to make.You guys have seriously turned an important issue of GAC abuse into a bunch of selfish, arrogant crybabies who are ed someone is getting a more "magical" experience than they are, because you can't see the forest for the trees. This is not about abusing the system. It's about selfish, judgemental, petty little people with HUGE hang ups who obsess over what other people do. They want to have a great vacation with their family, the best way they can and Disney allows them to do so and actually accomodates them.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

But you see, that's you, and it has to be a personal decision for everyone. I have asthma and allergies. I'm allergic to Hawaiian flowers. I don't have any plans to go back to Hawaii any time soon. But someone else might take really strong allergy meds and go back. Me? I'd prefer not to even risk it. I also have a pineapple allergy. But I eat the orange-flavored Dole whip. Someone else might choose not to go anywhere near the stand. I have the chef come out at restaurants and have never had an issue (unless I've somehow failed to speak up). Someone else might only eat food they prepare themselves. It's about knowing your condition. And the fact is you must live your life in spite of it, whether it be at home or in Disney. And how is asking a big, well-known company like Disney for accommodations any different than asking your school or employer for accommodations? Considering how my high school was with handling my asthma and allergies and how Disney is, I'd rather have Disney handle it.;)
Not to put too fine a point on it, because that is not at all what I'm talking about, but, asking an organization what, if anything, can be done to help you personally combat your allergies, by not forcibly including them in your food source or immediate area is different then affecting hundreds of others to accommodate your situation.

I worked in a school system once that had a family with a child that had a severe, severe allergy to all things related to peanuts. They didn't ask, but demanded that the school accommodate their child's situation even though any exposure could have easily caused the child's death. The school considered many ways to make sure that no peanut based products would be used in the school. That in and of itself is a huge challenge. They had multiple meetings with experts and had a committee devise a plan to make that happen. Then they ran into the road block. The parents demanded that no child bring anything peanut related to school. OK, maybe doable, but chancy at best. Then up the anti to say that the 200 children also in the school could not have even the slightest contact with peanut products while away from school. Even the small particles on their breath could cause a reaction to the child. Everyone could understand the concept that the parents were trying to make this young persons life as normal as everyone else by having them be part of a normal school system. But the school could not guarantee that they could control the environment outside of the school building and had to tell them no. What the parents were asking was having a profound affect on hundreds of others that did not have that particular problem, but now would have to live their lives as if they did. The school had to say no and braced for a lawsuit. The parents lost due to the fact that some situations are not in the control of others for a number of reasons. One of the largest was how many other people were directly affected by that accommodation and the fact that keeping young children away from peanut butter, when they personally have no reason to be deprived of it was not a reasonable request and almost like trying to get a fish to live out of water.

A place like a theme park has a far less requirement for attendance then a place of education. One is a luxury the other is a necessity. Yet, it is within reason to basically describe a particular problem as disability that cannot be accommodated in a way that wouldn't cause hardship for others.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
N...
A place like a theme park has a far less requirement for attendance then a place of education. One is a luxury the other is a necessity. Yet, it is within reason to basically describe a particular problem as disability that cannot be accommodated in a way that wouldn't cause hardship for others.

This seems to be the fact that a lot of people seem to ignore.

GymLeaderPhil

I have just went to get my current pass updated and they were informing me that "because you are cast we must notify management". Personally I feel as if this is nonsense and encourage anybody with disapprovements to these changes speak with guest relations.
I do not feel as if it is their concern what I do outside of the work environment.
Many people in this thread have mirrored my sentiments on your post, but I just wanted to mention that as an employee of the Walt Disney Company your complimentary access to the parks and other benefits can be revoked at any time. If you visit Guest Relations and request a GAC for yourself for something that is part of your job requirements while working eight hours, then it becomes an issue of whether or not you can continue to perform your role successfully. Guest Relations has every right to determine what's appropriate, available, and achievable for your assistance needs.

wdw71fan

Exactly.... You have a right to protect your own interests, as long as it doesn't infringe on the rights of another person, or group of people.

For the record, I don't have an issue with GAC's or the people that use them.. I simply take issue with the ones that abuse them.. and there are a LOT of them.

Everyone remember this little gem? http://www.onpointnews.com/NEWS/Pain-Patient-Sues-Disney-over-Thrill-Ride-Therapy.html

Not to put too fine a point on it, because that is not at all what I'm talking about, but, asking an organization what, if anything, can be done to help you personally combat your allergies, by not forcibly including them in your food source or immediate area is different then affecting hundreds of others to accommodate your situation.

I worked in a school system once that had a family with a child that had a severe, severe allergy to all things related to peanuts. They didn't ask, but demanded that the school accommodate their child's situation even though any exposure could have easily caused the child's death. The school considered many ways to make sure that no peanut based products would be used in the school. That in and of itself is a huge challenge. They had multiple meetings with experts and had a committee devise a plan to make that happen. Then they ran into the road block. The parents demanded that no child bring anything peanut related to school. OK, maybe doable, but chancy at best. Then up the anti to say that the 200 children also in the school could not have even the slightest contact with peanut products while away from school. Even the small particles on their breath could cause a reaction to the child. Everyone could understand the concept that the parents were trying to make this young persons life as normal as everyone else by having them be part of a normal school system. But the school could not guarantee that they could control the environment outside of the school building and had to tell them no. What the parents were asking was having a profound affect on hundreds of others that did not have that particular problem, but now would have to live their lives as if they did. The school had to say no and braced for a lawsuit. The parents lost due to the fact that some situations are not in the control of others for a number of reasons. One of the largest was how many other people were directly affected by that accommodation and the fact that keeping young children away from peanut butter, when they personally have no reason to be deprived of it was not a reasonable request and almost like trying to get a fish to live out of water.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Who the hell do you think you are, man?

Someone that knows having skin cancer doesn't mean your only solution is 'be fast tracked and avoid queuing'. Someone that has direct personal experience with skin cancer and knows what the guidance is. This is a great example of how idiotic doctor's notes can be.. most will write whatever you want. My back surgeon was the same way. He basically asked 'what do you need?' PT, drugs, work release, equipment... just ask and a form letter would appear.

I also know that making a trip to FL in the theme parks you are going to be out in the sun more walking from point to point than you are going to be in any line outside w/o cover (as nearly all lines are shaded or indoors). So someone requires skipping the queue for your health... while they can spend all that time walking around exposed? Ok... :rolleyes:

Nemo14

The private school I retired from had similar rules about peanuts. No peanut products were allowed, period, because of one allergic child. We had no cafeteria, so the kids ate in the class rooms, which meant that even though there were no peanut products allowed, I had to wipe down each desk and seat after lunch, just in case. My class room originally had carpeting, but that had to be eliminated, and any home-baked products had to be approved by the mother of the allergic child. we took a field trip to the Boston Science Museum, and the child had to sit at a separate pre-wiped table by himself, and could not touch any "hands-on" exhibits or railings without wiping things down before and after. The sad part was that he had outgrown his allergies by the time we got him in middle school (a fellow teacher and I witnessed him eating a Snickers bar after school once with no ill effects whatsoever), but his mom was still adamant about enforcing all those restrictions.

flynnibus

Premium Member
no home backed products in classrooms anymore...
no latex...
no handing out of invitations at school...
no peanut products...
kids aren't allow to even 'high-5' each other (that's physical contact don't you know!!)

Schools are going over the edge :)

misterID

Someone that knows having skin cancer doesn't mean your only solution is 'be fast tracked and avoid queuing'. Someone that has direct personal experience with skin cancer and knows what the guidance is. This is a great example of how idiotic doctor's notes can be.. most will write whatever you want. My back surgeon was the same way. He basically asked 'what do you need?' PT, drugs, work release, equipment... just ask and a form letter would appear.

I also know that making a trip to FL in the theme parks you are going to be out in the sun more walking from point to point than you are going to be in any line outside w/o cover (as nearly all lines are shaded or indoors). So someone requires skipping the queue for your health... while they can spend all that time walking around exposed? Ok... :rolleyes:

No this is a great example about YOUR and your selfish, self-absorbed homies problem... This isn't about YOU. Your situation is yours, you don't get to dictate to people what they should or shouldn't do based on YOUR experience. Everyone's is different. You can make plans on how to best deal with your situation.

Disney accomodates them, whether you like it or not. I know that just kills your pompous, know it all nature, but no, this isn't all about you.

You liked Star Wars girl's post, the one she admitted that she didn't fully understand and wasn't informed about the person's situation. That says everything.

"One of the largest was how many other people were directly affected by that accommodation and the fact that keeping young children away from peanut butter, when they personally have no reason to be deprived of it was not a reasonable request and almost like trying to get a fish to live out of water."

That's about the lamest analogy I've ever heard. Keeping kids away from peanut butter is NOT like trying to make a fish live out of water. Kid's do not need peanut butter to live. Kid's do NOT need peanut butter at all. There are no fish that are allergic to water. Do you realize how many kids have died from this?

My niece has a severe nut allergy. It's deadly. You know what her school did? Replaced all peanut butter products with Soy butter and sent notes to all the parents. Luckily no one at her school thought their kid's "right to have peanut butter" was more important than her life, or at least education and social development. And it also taught the other kids about allergies and about not excluding people because of differences. The only time there's a problem in these schools is when a peanut loving parent objects. It's actually very easy to accomplish.

Last edited:

misterID

[Jan 11, 2012] Ammaria Johnson, the 7-year-old Virginia girl who died after an allergic reaction at school, was given a peanut by another child unaware of her allergy

[August 2, 2013] Natalie Giorgi, 13, Died From a Severe Peanut Allergy at summer camp

[Mar 13, 2013] Cameron Groezinger Fitzpatrick, 19, a college freshman who suffered from a severe nut allergy, died after eating a cookie that contained peanut oil

Yes, so petty and trivial isn't it. You guys are the embodiement of compassion and tolerance.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Everyone's is different. You can make plans on how to best deal with your situation.

So... diseases and their treatments are now defined by someone's own personal choice now? Do you think her Doctor learned in Medical School that 'fast track' was a scientifically proven mitigation for recurrence of skin cancer?

Tell me again how you think this guest, for her health, requires she not stand in the shade.. and her doctor fails to make any mention about allowed exceptions for personal sun protection - yet can walk for MILES out in the exposed sun without any mention of that at all in her doctor's note? And travel to a region of higher sun indexes.

You liked Star Wars girl's post, the one she admitted that she didn't fully understand and wasn't informed about the person's situation. That says everything.

I don't even know you are referring to.. ever consider someone may like a post for something said, and not every line in the post? Oh wait... are we defining the laws of the universe based on "your selfish, self-absorbed homies problem" Remember.. "This isn't about YOU"

The only time there's a problem in these schools is when a peanut loving parent objects. It's actually very easy to accomplish.

It's not about defending peanuts genius... it's about how far everyone has to bend to accommodate individuals. Like I posted above.. home made products are no longer allowed in our classrooms. Why? Because of the fear of allergies - we can't trust people to look after themselves, so we ban everything. Latex balloons are no longer allowed at all. And I'm not talking just party balloons.. but my kid's MANDATED science project had to be video taped and shown online at school because they can't bring their balloon powered cars into school because of the risk of allergies. The balloon car was the assigned project. This is what happens when we try to replace common sense with 'cya policies'.

The private school I retired from had similar rules about peanuts. No peanut products were allowed, period, because of one allergic child. We had no cafeteria, so the kids ate in the class rooms, which meant that even though there were no peanut products allowed, I had to wipe down each desk and seat after lunch, just in case. My class room originally had carpeting, but that had to be eliminated, and any home-baked products had to be approved by the mother of the allergic child. we took a field trip to the Boston Science Museum, and the child had to sit at a separate pre-wiped table by himself, and could not touch any "hands-on" exhibits or railings without wiping things down before and after. The sad part was that he had outgrown his allergies by the time we got him in middle school (a fellow teacher and I witnessed him eating a Snickers bar after school once with no ill effects whatsoever), but his mom was still adamant about enforcing all those restrictions.

Understand what you mean. I work at a public school and we have a no peanut policy for the district due to allergies by several kids. At the schools, others can't have peanuts because of risk due to inhaling particles. Yet the high school child goes to movie theaters, restaurants, away ball games, etc. where peanut products are eaten by others and has no ill effects. Our school took a more restrictive stance just to be safe and protect themselves from any potential law suits.

Nemo14

Understand what you mean. I work at a public school and we have a no peanut policy for the district due to allergies by several kids. At the schools, others can't have peanuts because of risk due to inhaling particles. Yet the high school child goes to movie theaters, restaurants, away ball games, etc. where peanut products are eaten by others and has no ill effects. Our school took a more restrictive stance just to be safe and protect themselves from any potential law suits.

That's exactly why. I do realize how serious a peanut allergy can be, but I know in our case, all the precautions we had to go through were strictly to avoid a lawsuit by an extremely vocal parent.

misterID

So... diseases and their treatments are now defined by someone's own personal choice now? Do you think her Doctor learned in Medical School that 'fast track' was a scientifically proven mitigation for recurrence of skin cancer?

Tell me again how you think this guest, for her health, requires she not stand in the shade.. and her doctor fails to make any mention about allowed exceptions for personal sun protection - yet can walk for MILES out in the exposed sun without any mention of that at all in her doctor's note? And travel to a region of higher sun indexes.

I don't even know *** you are referring to.. ever consider someone may like a post for something said, and not every line in the post? Oh wait... are we defining the laws of the universe based on "your selfish, self-absorbed homies problem" Remember.. "This isn't about YOU"

It's not about defending peanuts genius... it's about how far everyone has to bend to accommodate individuals. Like I posted above.. home made products are no longer allowed in our classrooms. Why? Because of the fear of allergies - we can't trust people to look after themselves, so we ban everything. Latex balloons are no longer allowed at all. And I'm not talking just party balloons.. but my kid's MANDATED science project had to be video taped and shown online at school because they can't bring their balloon powered cars into school because of the risk of allergies. The balloon car was the assigned project. This is what happens when we try to replace common sense with 'cya policies'.

I'm not telling her how to do anything. Her vacation is up to her. Ever think about that?

Listen Mr. Compassionate, if you looked at the list of death's of peanut allergies, you'll see that the majority was caused by other people who were ignorant of the allergy of that person or didn't take it serious, not the fault of the person with the allergy. There are stupid people out there who only care about themselves, which can be deadly for others, which I'm sure you're fully aware.

And I'm sorry your kid's science project is so humiliatingly devastating to you that it makes you this miserable.

Last edited:

misterID

Seriously? My niece has to take a special medical kit everywhere she goes to give herself an emergency shot. She has to clean things off herself everywhere she goes. She had an attack AT WDW (which is not pretty) by riding in a car that had traces a peanuts from a previous rider. She's trying to live a normal life and takes precautions and these kids and adults DO HAVE reactions when they "go out." You just don't know about it, unless you're following this particular high school kid around 24/7?? It's about eliminating the most deadly risks. It's not asking much. It's not the end of the world to be a peanut free zone. And no, we haven't sued anyone.

At her school, not only are the teachers diligent, but also the students. It's been incredible how everyone joined in to look out for her safety.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I'm not telling her how to do anything. Her vacation is up to her. Ever think about that?

I'm going to ask my doctor to write me a note that says I need escorted to the loading platform without waits. Why? Because I have had over a decade of back issues and multiple surgeries.. and my doctor wrote me a note that says I need that.

Don't like that? TOUGH! IT'S MY VACATION and ITS UP TO ME!!

Ever think of that?

Listen Mr. Compassionate, if you looked at the list of death's of peanut allergies, you'll see that the majority were people who were ignorant of the allergy or didn't take it serious, not the fault of the person with the allergy.

So the majority of the people who have died... died because of their own ignorance or ambivalence So that's somehow someone else's problem to harbor them from their own ignorance?

I guess I should be demanding Disney remove all high carbohydrate products from the parks. I have type II diabetes, and it shouldn't be my responsibility to ensure I track my carbs myself. And how many people are out there that don't know they have diabetes or don't take it serious! Obviously we should make sure they don't have to be responsible for themselves... that's the compassionate thing to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom