Possible Changes coming to the Guest Assistance Cards (GAC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Morrow

So we took a quick trip to Disney Sunday and yesterday, and I let my wife and kids go on Toy Story Mania without me and I watched the fastpass queue for 45 minutes to see how many GAC's were being used. This was at 3pm and the wait time on standy by was 140 minutes.
I saw a grand total of 2, including ours, at the same time the handicapped ramp was full of people (had my wife check, and from what she saw it was all groups with people in wheel chairs). I saw a few fastpass+ users, the system is definitely slower as everyone has to make the mickey go green twice, once at entry and again at the merge point.

At Soarin we saw no other GACS, and at Star Wars the group behind us was using one, It was a family from South America. At first I was struggling to find the issue and then noticed one of the adults had one leg with atrophied muscles, he wasn't using a cane or any other assistance and you could only tell if you watched closely.

And yes the max time on the card is now 2 weeks.And as I always do I offered to show him the note from our dr. But the CM said it was not necessary.

So while its happening, its not every single person in the fastpass lane holding a GAC. Maybe Disneyland is like that, and maybe I just was there at a slow moment for GAC abuse.
Well, that is odd, because every single solitary Cast Member that works a Fastpass attraction at WDW would tell you otherwise (if you weren't just some stranger).

GACs that utilize the Fastpass queue account for around 1/5th to as high as 1/4th of everyone riding an attraction per hour.

arko

Well, that is odd, because every single solitary Cast Member that works a Fastpass attraction at WDW would tell you otherwise (if you weren't just some stranger).

GACs that utilize the Fastpass queue account for around 1/5th to as high as 1/4th of everyone riding an attraction per hour.

I am just telling you what I witnessed on a very busy ride on a very busy day over the course of 45 minutes. My wife also noted that the line moved differently than normal as well. The CM collecting the fastpasses was hanging over the rail from the handicapped ramp instead of at the merge point where the new fastpass + posts have been placed(although the fastpass+ family she saw did have to stop and scan through again). And then after the merge point the stairs and the uturn at the top were empty. Its like they were sending people through in batches letting the line after the merge point empty out before sending another batch through.

natatomic

We just got back Sunday from a 7 day trip to WDW. My 5 year oldson is terrified loud noises but loves trains, so we were going to the train station in storybook circus at MK and he started screaming for his noise blocking headphones as we got closer. So we got them out and put them on him. The CM at the train station opened the handicapped area for us and told us for the rest of the trip we needed to go to guest assistance and get a GAC card for him so we would not have to wait in lines anymore. She said we did not even have to tell them why we needed one, just ask for a card and they will give it to us and we won't have to wait in long lines. We did not do this as I didn't feel his needs required skipping lines, he just doesn't like loud places, dark rides, or shows, which limited what we could do, but lines were not the issue. I just found it interesting that the CM was advocating getting a card and skipping lines.

I will say that when CMs work in non-attraction roles or at least low demand, non-FP attractions, they tend to have no idea how badly GACs are abused. They get to live in their rosey world where everyone who has a GAC them legitimately needs one, because everyone is just so gosh darn honest in this world and would never lie about such a thing. Oh, how I wish I had their innocence again! So yes, I'm sure the CM was genuinely trying to be helpful.

By the same token, I have some AP friends who come up once a month and are close and friendly to many CMs all across property, and they once told me how a CM they knew at a food & beverage cart (I will not say which one) once told them to go to Guest Relations and make up a disability so that they could get a GAC. Thankfully, these people are honest, moral people and they did not take her advice (they were actually quite appalled by it). But the CM had no problems bragging about how she always gets one since she doesn't want to wait in line.

luv

Al Lutz has an update on Miceage today and discusses the GAC problems again. He's saying that lots of CM's and white collar folks from TDA/TDO are now getting a GAC when they enter the parks for free!

That's sickening to think about, and I hadn't even realized that such a thing was possible. How do these folks live with themselves, and why does their employer allow them to engage in such fraudulent behavior on the employers property?!?

The GAC is such a horribly flawed system now that I wouldn't be surprised if they redid it entirely with an all new name and everything.
If you read this thread and others like it, that would not be shocking. It's been mentioned.

Not only does the Disney staff do it, but many people they know do it. I personally know plenty of people who do this. They go and get GACs because they don't want to wait in line.

As I've said several times, I've been encouraged to participate in this. I've had CMs tell me I should do it because, "everyone else does..."

The GAC thing isn't a secret in central Florida, lol. It's not a secret in California, either, from what I read.

Happens all the time.

natatomic

So something interesting in the Magic Kingdom 2 days ago... a family with one of their members in a wheelchair approached a CM in front of BOG with some type of voucher. It was not the red GAC card, BOG FP+ blue test card, nor was it a No Strings attached card. After the CM had talked to the party and directed them to an attraction, I asked about the voucher. The CM said he had never seen them before, but each voucher was for (1) person and entitled them to priority entry to an attraction. I got a glimpse of the voucher the lady was holding and it was longer and skinny, paper looked to be white. Has anyone seen or heard anything about these vouchers? I'm wondering if they are the next step in modifying the GAC.

It's called a "Priority Entrance Pass" and they are given out only by the resorts. For example, I think they might be given to a family if their room isn't ready when they check in at what should be the appropriate time. They're relatively uncommon, but they're nothing new and nothing related to a GAC.

Al Lutz has an update on Miceage today and discusses the GAC problems again. He's saying that lots of CM's and white collar folks from TDA/TDO are now getting a GAC when they enter the parks for free!

That's sickening to think about, and I hadn't even realized that such a thing was possible. How do these folks live with themselves, and why does their employer allow them to engage in such fraudulent behavior on the employers property?!?

The GAC is such a horribly flawed system now that I wouldn't be surprised if they redid it entirely with an all new name and everything.

I just posted this on the last page, but please indulge my copy-paste so that I can vouch that this is highly common.

"One thing that I don't understand is how everyone is so convinced that showing proof/dr.'s note will solve anything. One, any 12 year old with a word processor can forge a believable Dr.'s note. Two, just because they have proof of some sort of disability does not mean they are unable to wait in line. Case in point, I worked with an ex-marine who had about six surgeries on one knee and with an ex-football player who also had bad knees. Both these gentlemen worked on an attraction that featured a moving loading platform which required constant walking and another attraction that featured many, many, MANY stairs. Both gentlemen worked extra hours for the money - usually between 60-70 hours a week, and the football player was even training for a marathon (last I heard from him, he was up to 10 miles a day.) But both men each had GACs just because they knew they *could* get them and because they didn't want to wait in line like everyone else. The one had documentation of all his surgeries, and the other even had a handicap placard for his car, so obviously he was able to get documentation. Now, please tell me - do any of you sincerely believe that these men who could stand/walk/run for 10-12 hours a day outside in the heat while on the job were unable to stand/walk in a 1-2 hour standby line? Or use the FP system as a typical guest?

The point I'm trying to make is requiring proof is not going to cut down on abuse. I think I made this comment about 20 pages back, but I'll say it again - I'd estimate that 10% of GAC users are flat out fakers, 2% have genuine need of it (yes, when you boil it all down, I think the number is that low, based off of the extreme nature of the service provided by the GAC), and the other 88% are people that do indeed have some sort of disability but they play it up in their heads to convince themselves that they deserve a GAC even though if they were truly honest with themselves, they would begrudgingly admit that they would do just fine without a GAC, especially with utilizing the FP service and whatnot just as your typical guest would."

Remember, CMs are people too - while some see the abuse and vow to never stoop so low, others see it and think, "Only schmucks would wait in line when it's so easy to get this pass!"

TRONorail10

This thread is going to continue on forever, but I think the way to approach the abuse is by looking at the root of the GAC problem.

1) It was a blanket for all disabilities.
2) It diverted disabled guests from inaccessible queues built before ADA went into effect. (And yes, I know about the grandfather clause where Disney didn't have to modify, but still did out of courtesy for the guests)
3) It was based on trust in the guest.
4) It is open to fraud without any effort.
5) It offers an incentive of a shorter wait at attractions.
6) GAC is not government issued, it is a system used by a private company for their guests.

In order to create a better system. You need to address the issues. I'm so sick of hearing about people preaching about the ADA. This is about a system that DISNEY INVENTED to assist in some of the ADA reasonable accommodations. When you reduce or eliminate the issues, then you will have a better system.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
This thread is going to continue on forever, but I think the way to approach the abuse is by looking at the root of the GAC problem.

1) It was a blanket for all disabilities.
2) It diverted disabled guests from inaccessible queues built before ADA went into effect. (And yes, I know about the grandfather clause where Disney didn't have to modify, but still did out of courtesy for the guests)
3) It was based on trust in the guest.
4) It is open to fraud without any effort.
5) It offers an incentive of a shorter wait at attractions.
6) GAC is not government issued, it is a system used by a private company for their guests.

In order to create a better system. You need to address the issues. I'm so sick of hearing about people preaching about the ADA. This is about a system that DISNEY INVENTED to assist in some of the ADA reasonable accommodations. When you reduce or eliminate the issues, then you will have a better system.
Well there ARE people who are claiming that the GAC IS mandatory to meet ADA requirements.

TRONorail10

Well there ARE people who are claiming that the GAC IS mandatory to meet ADA requirements.

There in lies the problem, there is a difference between something being mandatory as mandated by the government, and somebody "claiming" that something is mandatory by law. This is where there is a separation of personal opinion and what the actual law entails. Disney's only commitment is to what the law enforces, anything else they do for disabled individuals is at the discretion of the company. If a judge says that Disney will not be held accountable for not offering a "fastpass" for disabled guests, then they don't have to do it.

MadMax11

What do they call the cards that are given to cast members or even people who work at the restaurants on Disney property which aren't Disney owned that allow for what is basically fastpass at every attraction? I'm assuming those aren't what we're talking about here when you talk about Guest Assistance Cards, right?

natatomic

What do they call the cards that are given to cast members or even people who work at the restaurants on Disney property which aren't Disney owned that allow for what is basically fastpass at every attraction? I'm assuming those aren't what we're talking about here when you talk about Guest Assistance Cards, right?

There's no such thing. CMs are required to use the FP system like everyone else.

RSoxNo1

Original Poster
So some things witnessed at Disneyland this week. Space Mountain and Splash Mountain have seating areas set aside for guests with disabilities. It saves time, but we still waited 45-50 minutes to get on Splash Mountain. Almost on cue, my brother started misbehaving at around the 30 minute mark. I speculate that shaded waiting areas are going to be the way they tackle this in the future.

TP2000

So some things witnessed at Disneyland this week. Space Mountain and Splash Mountain have seating areas set aside for guests with disabilities. It saves time, but we still waited 45-50 minutes to get on Splash Mountain. Almost on cue, my brother started misbehaving at around the 30 minute mark. I speculate that shaded waiting areas are going to be the way they tackle this in the future.

They've had those separate waiting areas at Space Mt. and Splash Mt. for years and years. They do that there because the loading stations are so small and/or inaccessible due to stairs so they limit the amount of wheelchair folks that can be in the small loading areas. Thus, they create a "lobby" of sorts outside the ride and send folks in when there is space in the loading station.

I speculate that the way they will tackle the GAC problem in the future is to handle most popular rides like the way they do at Radiator Springs Racers, and how they do it at Cedar Fair parks; by giving you a Fastpass based on the length of the Standby line to come back with your GAC. And only one GAC Fastpass can be distributed at a time, eliminating the ability to hop on ride after ride with no questions asked.

And finally.... Welcome to California! As a former New Englander myself, glad the weather here is so nice for you this time of year, and hope your visit to SoCal is a pleasant one. :)

raymusiccity

It's called a "Priority Entrance Pass" and they are given out only by the resorts. For example, I think they might be given to a family if their room isn't ready when they check in at what should be the appropriate time. They're relatively uncommon, but they're nothing new and nothing related to a GAC.

I just posted this on the last page, but please indulge my copy-paste so that I can vouch that this is highly common.

"One thing that I don't understand is how everyone is so convinced that showing proof/dr.'s note will solve anything. One, any 12 year old with a word processor can forge a believable Dr.'s note. Two, just because they have proof of some sort of disability does not mean they are unable to wait in line. Case in point, I worked with an ex-marine who had about six surgeries on one knee and with an ex-football player who also had bad knees. Both these gentlemen worked on an attraction that featured a moving loading platform which required constant walking and another attraction that featured many, many, MANY stairs. Both gentlemen worked extra hours for the money - usually between 60-70 hours a week, and the football player was even training for a marathon (last I heard from him, he was up to 10 miles a day.) But both men each had GACs just because they knew they *could* get them and because they didn't want to wait in line like everyone else. The one had documentation of all his surgeries, and the other even had a handicap placard for his car, so obviously he was able to get documentation. Now, please tell me - do any of you sincerely believe that these men who could stand/walk/run for 10-12 hours a day outside in the heat while on the job were unable to stand/walk in a 1-2 hour standby line? Or use the FP system as a typical guest?

The point I'm trying to make is requiring proof is not going to cut down on abuse. I think I made this comment about 20 pages back, but I'll say it again - I'd estimate that 10% of GAC users are flat out fakers, 2% have genuine need of it (yes, when you boil it all down, I think the number is that low, based off of the extreme nature of the service provided by the GAC), and the other 88% are people that do indeed have some sort of disability but they play it up in their heads to convince themselves that they deserve a GAC even though if they were truly honest with themselves, they would begrudgingly admit that they would do just fine without a GAC, especially with utilizing the FP service and whatnot just as your typical guest would."

Remember, CMs are people too - while some see the abuse and vow to never stoop so low, others see it and think, "Only schmucks would wait in line when it's so easy to get this pass!"

I agree with you, especially the 88% figure. There's always human nature that triggers the 'lets take advantage' syndrome. Just look at the number of instances of people who cut in line or jump into the 'HOV' lane. (Apples and oranges, but, still true.)

'Handicap parking' spaces are always full on a rainy day. ......

Lucky

So we took a quick trip to Disney Sunday and yesterday, and I let my wife and kids go on Toy Story Mania without me and I watched the fastpass queue for 45 minutes to see how many GAC's were being used. This was at 3pm and the wait time on standy by was 140 minutes.
I saw a grand total of 2, including ours, at the same time the handicapped ramp was full of people (had my wife check, and from what she saw it was all groups with people in wheel chairs).

So while its happening, its not every single person in the fastpass lane holding a GAC. Maybe Disneyland is like that, and maybe I just was there at a slow moment for GAC abuse.
I always pay attention to this too at WDW, and I usually see dozens of FastPasses used for each GAC. But that's at WDW, and I don't know what goes on at DL. Maybe Anaheim is full of liars and cheaters, and replacing GACs with something like Uni's system will shorten the standby lines at DL. But I really don't think this change will shorten the lines noticeably at WDW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom