Possible Changes coming to the Guest Assistance Cards (GAC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RSoxNo1

Original Poster
Alright, so, sorry to chime in with another anecdote about this, but I'm pretty fed up at this point, and really, you should be too. You should be informed.

Yesterday I spent some time at DAK. Sometime in the afternoon I walked by Everest. The standby line was posting 80 minutes. The Fastpass line stretched nearly to Nemo: the Musical, not exaggerating. Forgive me for being a bit nosey, but when a Fastpass line is nearly emerging into another LAND, then you know you have a problem. I asked a CM if the ride had been closed... she said it had not. I took notice of what people were holding as I walked past this enormous line. Surprise, surprise. GAC card, GAC card, GAC card, GAC card, fastpass, fastpass, GAC card, etc. They are easy to spot and many card holders wear them on a lanyard prominently displayed or wave them around, as if to say "Hey everyone! I have a "disability!" ;) " (I'm sorry, but shouldn't that be something you would have some humility about??)

Because of Fastpass, you've been conditioned to think that 70, 80, 90... 120 minutes for these attractions is normal. "I wait that long at Six Flags." Yes, but a typical Six Flags coaster has nowhere near the capacity of Disney's rides, and Six Flags workers are typically not anywhere near as efficient as Disney's operations. Almost every Disney ride is a people eater by design. Everest is one of highest capacity roller coasters in the entire world. I took a peek at Everest's "80 minute" posted standby line at that point, and it wasn't even physically half full. So, Fastpass does inflate the standby lines, but remember that the Fastpass system is at the very least regulated. What the system is absolutely NOT designed for is for the fastpass lines to be nearly doubled by GAC cards! The longer the fastpass line, the slower the standby line will move. And remember that if Everest had been designed to accommodate that long of a Fastpass line... they would have actually made the Fastpass line that long!

Disney has created a situation where you are literally a "sucker" if you do not obtain a GAC card. You are being punished for doing the right thing. You are riding less than before because they are riding more than before. You are waiting longer in the Fastpass line than you should (you know, after already waiting two hours to use your Fastpass to bypass the long line that Fastpass created). This means that people who truly absolutely need the assistance are waiting longer than they should. And, god help you if you get in a standby line anymore except at the beginning or end of the day - you are being punished by waiting an excruciatingly long time [just so you can ride a ride where important effects probably aren't even working because everyone in charge of that attraction can't be bothered to do anything about it]. Meanwhile, all some other family had to do was lie, obtain a card, and ride 5 times in a fraction of the time it took you to ride once. What I'm trying to say is, Fastpass itself is bad and convoluted enough, but the excessive GAC use is making those problems significantly worse!

This business model is just kind of despicable to me and I can't fathom why nothing is done. I'm sure the pencil pushers have some figures that "justify" it - the scammers will come back and spend more money. But how many honest people, or at the very least, uninformed people, are they alienating in the process? Thank god I'm a local and a regular and have ample opportunity to experience these attractions, especially at less busy periods. I can't fathom how crushing it must be for families who save up for years for their trip, only to be "punished" by being able to experience nowhere near the amount that they paid for because of this terrible situation Disney has put it's honest guests into.

All of you who keep replying and saying they don't need to change anything need to stop brushing this aside as a non-issue. All of you who agree need to stop giving WDW your money and spending more and more on tickets for less and less to do, and less (honest) ways to actually be able to do any of it. Stop giving your money to a company that actively rewards dishonest people and punishes those who follow the rules. Save your money and go elsewhere, Universal, for example, where you can still have fun without needing to resort to cheating and scamming as if it is the norm.

/end rant.
That's impressive. I've never seen Everest's wait that long. As someone with a family member that requires GAC usage, I would have no problem if they wanted to give us a return time if the Standby line exceeds a certain # (say 60 minutes, for example). This would basically allow them to better control the usage at attractions like Toy Story Mania, Soarin', and Test Track.

Tom Morrow

Most people in FastPass lines at WDW have FastPasses, not GACs. I've made a point to watch this every time I've been in a FastPass line the last 5 or 6 years.
I'm sure there are some cheaters, and the more attention the whole thing gets the more cheaters there'll be. But at this point I don't think standby wait times are affected much by cheating in the FastPass line.
If by "most", you mean "still more than half", you would be right. Unfortunately it is not uncommon for GACs to account for something like 30% or more of everyone using the Fastpass line. Like @thelookingglass said, the Fastpass system was not designed for this, so as a result, the standby lines are now moving even slower than the system was designed to regulate them to to accommodate the excessive demand in the Fastpass queues.

Lucky

If by "most", you mean "still more than half", you would be right. Unfortunately it is not uncommon for GACs to account for something like 30% or more of everyone using the Fastpass line. Like @thelookingglass said, the Fastpass system was not designed for this, so as a result, the standby lines are now moving even slower than the system was designed to regulate them to to accommodate the excessive demand in the Fastpass queues.
That's true, so if all the publicity dramatically increases the number of cheaters, something will have to change. I still think they could deter most cheaters with some very simple changes at Guest Relations, but I won't repeat them. It was discussed a lot further up this thread several months ago.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
As a family that uses the GAC for some access at times i hope they greatly increase the scrutiny of all users and further limit both the abuse and the perception it is a golden ticket.

IMHO...

1) Create secondary queues or enforce return times via either the MM+ or manually. (This has been done before at SM and should be done at all attractions) This will only solve part of the problem but might help with stand-by perceptions that
2) Log the GAC access to a specific ride electronically or manually and check to see if you have used the GAC more than once that day before allowing to enter. (Never seen this done, it would allow for abusers to be revoked.) This could also be referenced for return times in #1 to spread out the GAC users over time so that when they do arrive for their turn, they will not have to wait with 10 other groups when the limit is 1 group per 5 to 10 minutes.
3) GAC can only be requested for periods of 14 days right now, restrict it to 5 or 7 days. I believe a daily requirement would be a complete mess and overwhelm the Guest Services offices at all locations during the morning rush and impact anyone trying to do anything else.
4) Attach your GAC to your MM+/AP account, no medical data only special access allowances. This would allow a GAC to "check in" and further allow WDW to track the GAC usage including the number of guests, times a specific ride is ridden, etc. and clearly identify those that are abusing the system. Items #1, #2, and #3 would be streamlined with this one.
5) Most rides have a limited number of "slots" at a given time for special access (HM, SM, SplM, EE, TSMM, etc.), these are the rides we also see the least abuse because the waits can be very long at times, longer than the stand-by lines. Limit these entrances to only specific types of access requirements to further eliminate abuse.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
How the hell is a second queue going to fix anything? The capacity of the ride is fixed!

There is already a second queue for a few rides, it is just hidden for general guest view and accessible through the FP line or an exit.

sporadic

There is already a second queue for a few rides, it is just hidden for general guest view and accessible through the FP line or an exit.

May this is what I saw at Pirates of the Caribbean last year? Whole line of people standing outside to the left of the building. The standby line was rather short but taking much longer than expected to get through. Maybe this explains it?

arko

May this is what I saw at Pirates of the Caribbean last year? Whole line of people standing outside to the left of the building. The standby line was rather short but taking much longer than expected to get through. Maybe this explains it?

This is indeed the alternate entrance waiting area. My son is autistic and we use the GAC and we will use that alternate entrance if we see people backed up outside the doors. Otherwise we use the regular queue. But it goes back around with a wheelchair ramp and you get to see the backside of POTC and a paint shed(yes it is exciting). Also there is no guarantee of when you will be taken inside, so it is possible that it could take longer waiting outside, which has happened to us. SE has a similar system where you wait at the ride exit and they bring you in there. You end up waiting however long they decide to do a load of alternate entrance people.

Dasnowz

At Epcot yesterday a disabled person was told they could not receive a GAC they are now only for autistic children. The person had legal documentation with them showing what is needed. I am now super curious if this change is true or it was an angry cast member. If anyone knows could they please update about this?

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
At Epcot yesterday a disabled person was told they could not receive a GAC they are now only for autistic children. The person had legal documentation with them showing what is needed. I am now super curious if this change is true or it was an angry cast member. If anyone knows could they please update about this?
What was their disability? I know technically if you are in a wheelchair you do not need a GAC. The GAC are for hidden disabilities. A person in a wheelchair would get special assistance if need automatically. But most GR CMs will give out the GAC anyway.

PirateFrank

his point is.. it's all about priority at loading. It doesn't matter how many queues you have.. if you put another queue in front of yours at loading.. you're still waiting.

Ding ding ding ding....we have a winner!

Thanks for the assist Flynnibus!

The point is that the problem still exists. You still have a ton of people waiting on a queue system that was never designed for the added load of the GAC debacle. Adding another queue, hidden or not, doesn't change the fact that the ride services a fixed number of people each hour. The more people filling the *preferred* queues with GAC cards, the less honest, non-GAC guests get to ride.

Dasnowz

It is a hidden disability. That was why she had brought her state identification that says such and such has disabled placard for their vehicle. I was more shocked hearing that they are now only for autistic children. That is what I am trying to find out for her. I am not near the parks again until the 8th of june to ask anyone.

flynnibus

Premium Member

More than likely this is a misunderstanding of the situation. If the guest was already in a wheelchair, the CM would have told them they don't need a GAC because the wheelchair is sufficient to get access to any wheelchair exceptions.

The wheelchair is the only 'deflection' Disney has and tries to direct people to.

Dasnowz

Ok I will relay this but it is a direct quote. I did not post up the rest of what he said and I know that a complaint was filed against the cm yesterday who said all that he did. I simply wondered if this was a true change for epcot maybe that hasn't been announced. I don't go to epcot only magic kingdom areas normally so I was hoping someone from that side could clarify.

Edit: guest relations contacted her today. There is no policy change in place and what happened should not have. It is being dealt with. And for the record I do know this person and I advise her to report it. she wants nothing back from WDW but the CM to not be rude and ruin someones birthday

startraveler

My experience with a wheelchair at Toy Story Midway. It may just have been those CMs on that day. I had a fast pass - a regular one. When I got to the point where the ramp up to loading in the special car branched off, I was told I needed a GAC to go up there. I showed them my fast pass. They said I needed a card. Just saying. It's not a given that using a wheelchair is all that is needed to ride in a car specially designed to carry a wheelchair.

flynnibus

Premium Member
My experience with a wheelchair at Toy Story Midway. It may just have been those CMs on that day. I had a fast pass - a regular one. When I got to the point where the ramp up to loading in the special car branched off, I was told I needed a GAC to go up there. I showed them my fast pass. They said I needed a card. Just saying. It's not a given that using a wheelchair is all that is needed to ride in a car specially designed to carry a wheelchair.

This confuses me. Where exactly did you go in the line with a wheelchair if not to the handicap accessible loading? They didn't send you up the stairs with your wheelchair.

The only question would be is if you can transfer or not... I've never heard of requiring a GAC for not being able to transfer.. but honestly I've never heard of it being an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom