Possible Changes at Test Track

WDWFigment

Original Poster
Another blurb from Screamscape:

Screamscape.com said:
we've heard a new rumor claiming that in advance of attempting to use the Test Track style ride system for a new proposed Cars attraction in California Adventure, Imagineering may be looking at ways to improve and upgrade the Test Track experience. Of course it’s well know that GM hasn’t always been the most pleased with how this attraction turned out, and with the end of their sponsorship deal in sight Disney wants to work with GM to keep them happy and come up with new ideas to keep them on board for not only Test Track but to sign up for the new ride in California as well.

What could possibly be done to make Test Track better, while still fitting EPCOT? It certainly can't (guess I shouldn't say can't anymore, look at The Seas) get a Cars makeover, so what else could be done? I thought DCA was getting a different Cars attraction. Anyone have any ideas on what could be going on, or if this is at all likely?

mousermerf

Account Suspended
I occasionally get to see the faux-cones that collapse. That's always a thrill. My favorites are the screens before the heat chamber - they never work right. Never ever in years.

And can i ask why GM doesn't like Test Track? It always has a line, and breakdowns have significantly improved.

SDav10495

I think it's obvious what could be done to "plus" Test Track (without a Cars tie-in) and still make it fit into Epcot: give the ride a futuristic overlay. I see no downside to giving Test Track a new angle...wouldn't it be even more exciting to enter a car testing facility of the future than it is to enter a present one?

In its current state, Test Track takes us through conditions we experience every day on the road and climaxes with a spin around a gray parking lot. Uh...yay? Personally I'd find it more appealing, and more appropriate for Future World, if I could go on Test Track and feel like I'm experiencing something I've never seen or done before, something that really gives me a fun and thrilling glimpse at the car of tomorrow. If I could drive a car built 100 years from now, what would be different? What will companies like GM have to think about when they build cars decades or centuries down the road? There's a ride where WDI could really get creative.

The way Test Track is now was fun two or three times. But as I grew with it--and as I myself became a driver--I found less and less about the ride to get excited about. But put me in a car from the future and take it for a spin...now that's more fun, and more EPCOT, to me. They wouldn't even have to change the ride system. Just do something, anything, to make this "thrill" ride better.

WDWFigment

Original Poster
Make all the effects, monitors, lighting and sound all work again? :veryconfu :lol:

Sorry, what could be done to plus the attraction. I think making what's currently there work is a given, and not what GM and WDI would have in mind if they were looking for something new for the attraction (although it working properly would be a new twist on it).

comics101

I think its obvious what could be done to "plus" Test Track (without a Cars tie-in) and still make it fit into Epcot: give the ride a futuristic overlay. I see no downside to giving Test Track a new angle...wouldn't it be even more exciting to enter a car testing facility of the future than it is to enter a present one?

In its current state, Test Track takes us through conditions we experience every day on the road and climaxes with a spin around a gray parking lot. Uh...yay? Personally I'd find it more appealing, and more appropriate for Future World, if I could go on Test Track and feel like I'm experiencing something I've never seen or done before, something that really gives me a fun and thrilling glimpse at the car of tomorrow. If I could drive a car built 100 years from now, what would be different? What will companies like GM have to think about when they build cars decades or centuries down the road? There's a ride where WDI could really get creative.

The way Test Track is now was fun two or three times. But as I grew with it--and as I myself became a driver--I found less and less about the ride to get excited about. But put me in a car from the future and take it for a spin...now that's more fun, and more EPCOT, to me. They wouldn't even have to change the ride system. Just do something, anything, to make this "thrill" ride better.

That is exactly how I feel! It's kind of boring now, and I don't really enjoy the climax much at all. If they could make it more futurey, That'd be great!
Well-said!

KaliSplash

I'm afraid I'm in the make the features work crowd. Test Track never was designed to be a roller coaster thrill type ride. It is something the whole family can enjoy. As such, there are limits.
But making the stuff work would be really good. It would help if we knew what GM didn't like about it.

Fun2BFree

How 'bout: Different tests that vary each time you ride, like maybe the track splitting into three different areas that then join together, to enhance the re-rideability.

Slowjack

I'm afraid I'm in the make the features work crowd. Test Track never was designed to be a roller coaster thrill type ride. It is something the whole family can enjoy. As such, there are limits.
But making the stuff work would be really good. It would help if we knew what GM didn't like about it.
Yeah, I have never heard that GM wasn't happy with it. I mean, GM was unhappy that it opened so horribly late, and that it's buggy as can be, but that's not the same thing. As far as an exciting ride that ties in directly with a sponsor's product line, I think it would be hard to beat from GMs point of view.

aquallama

what could be cool, if they were able to add a 2nd lane for the speed test. Then they could have 2 cars race each other. Add some randomness to it, like with the TOT drops.

raven

The cars need to "take off" somewhere in the ride and fly! :sohappy: If you think about it, that's what people always thought they would do in the future anyway! :animwink:

Epcot82Guy

How 'bout: Different tests that vary each time you ride, like maybe the track splitting into three different areas that then join together, to enhance the re-rideability.

I think that is a really solid idea. I'm trying to think about ways to do it, but I think there is potential. The ride itself is pretty well set in course, but upgrades would certainly be possible. I think TT works as a modern facility, and I think the post-show could serve as the futuristic site. But, there are more elements that could increase the thrill without being more intense.

Champion

I doubt the veracity of this rumor.

The reason given is the exact reason why WoM went the way of the dino, and I doubt GM would try the same thing again. (Which was - we won't renew unless you upgrade our attraction majorly.)

I would be extremely happy personally if Test Track were to be gutted and upgraded, since the current attraction is a joke and a mess. But hey, it brings in the crowds, so it should stay.

Maybe they could make it into a Back to the Future ride. :lookaroun

lol, just kidding. But I don't see how a Cars themed ride would be possible in Epcot..unless it was futuristic Cars characters, then maybe it could be possible. Heck, maybe a Meet the Robinsons ride could work?

Rayray

I like the current version, but improvements could be made, such as a "spin out" section on the ABS test, larger ride vehicles (with padded seats), tire blow out test maybe, etc.

cupanudles

I would like to suggest a change, how about the transportation pavilion actually be about FUTURE TECHNOLOGIES instead of some cheap outdated GM commercial thrill ride. In 1964 electric vehicles were mentioned in the World's Fair by the way!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom