Possible Attraction in France pavilion (Epcot) Update - new Attraction Greenlit

The Empress Lilly

And is is DLP worth seeing now? Or should I wait until more of the planned refurbs are completed?
if you are only ever going to see DLP once, and you are saving up for your once in a lifetime trip, I'd say wait a bit.

If you can get a nice deal or are in Europe anyway, just go now. There are lots of refurbs, but the vast majority of the parks is open and looks better than in forever. Sleeping Beauty has already woken up. 25 years of neglect means DLP emerges now largely unscathed by the lunacy that ravaged so much of WDW an DL after 94. Shame about Discoveryland currently being suffocated into Star Wars Pixar land though.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Yeah, I'm nervous as all get-out that they might replace IDF with something lesser, or, god forbid, some kind of IP tie-in. @marni1971 , kindly give us as much advance warning as you can if we are to start freaking out and complaining to the various powers that may be.
Oh I will if I can. Believe me. IDF and RoC are personal favourites.

WDW1974

On the original WS concept models, Israel was right around where the UK telephone booth is.

The pavilion that was actually put into design was planned for plot 5, between Morocco and Japan if I recall correctly.

Just happened on this (actually interesting threads I don't have time for I read the last two pages and see what's going on!), but I am almost sure it was supposed to be on the plot between Morocco and France. I have pics from 1982-83 somewhere where they have "coming soon" billboards up. ... Now, it's possible that was the Spain plot too. But that just seems off!

WDW1974

Also Denmark, Venezuela, Costa Rica, UAE and Iran were in negotiations at various points in history.

And at least three of those were beyond blue sky in terms of planning, models, attractions etc ...

Ah, the old days when World Showcase was planned to be an ever expanding global neighborhood!

BTW, don't know where you stand on all these rumors of a new nation or two coming to WS soon, but out of all the plans and rumors flying around, this is the only one that no one I talk to seems to know a thing about. Doesn't mean it isn't happening, but it does mean someone would have to be making this worth Disney's time. They are not adding to WS on that scale (and giving up all the temp flex space that these expansion pads have become since the late 90s) unless someone else is throwing in!

articos

Just happened on this (actually interesting threads I don't have time for I read the last two pages and see what's going on!), but I am almost sure it was supposed to be on the plot between Morocco and France. I have pics from 1982-83 somewhere where they have "coming soon" billboards up. ... Now, it's possible that was the Spain plot too. But that just seems off!
It could have been the other side - I know it was next to Morocco's plot for sure. The Japan side plot is narrower in front and I recall the design being set back more, but I could be on the wrong side of Morocco? I know Spain was next to Germany on the other side. I'll try to dig more. And always nice to see you pop in!

WDW1974

It could have been the other side - I know it was next to Morocco's plot for sure. The Japan side plot is narrower in front and I recall the design being set back more, but I could be on the wrong side of Morocco? I know Spain was next to Germany on the other side. I'll try to dig more. And always nice to see you pop in!

Now that you say that about Spain, I am 99% positive of Israel's location ... I am visualizing the signs now! :)

Sped2424

Now that you say that about Spain, I am 99% positive of Israel's location ... I am visualizing the signs now! :)
Speaking of Spain is that the new possible country coming? After doing some digging I remembered that Disney animation has a film called Gigantic coming up which is to be set in spain. The reason why I found this interesting is that the Frozen song writers are doing the songs for that film. Knowing Bob an attraction for the world showcase wouldn't get greenlit unless it was based on an ip, is this the ip for the mystery possible pavilion. No need to answer but I am curious to say the least.

WDW1974

Speaking of Spain is that the new possible country coming? After doing some digging I remembered that Disney animation has a film called Gigantic coming up which is to be set in spain. The reason why I found this interesting is that the Frozen song writers are doing the songs for that film. Knowing Bob an attraction for the world showcase wouldn't get greenlit unless it was based on an ip, is this the ip for the mystery possible pavilion. No need to answer but I am curious to say the least.

You need to ask whomever is bringing that rumor to the table. I can confirm many things that are either definitely happening or likely or possibly ... I have not heard one word of a real WS pavilion being added beyond here. And simply having a film that is based in one country is a very weak (Jim Hill-like) leap to a conclusion that isn't likely. But maybe someone has info I don't ...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
If you are 99%, I'm going with your recollection. @marni1971, let's move Israel to the other side of Morocco. :) I'll try to dig out photos somewhere. Team effort!
Consider it moved. I've a photo of the Israel sign in situ but with no clue of where it was taken.

Spain was definitely between Equatorial Africa and Germany. At least once! Good luck with the photo hunt.

the.dreamfinder

Somewhere I have an old WED document on the entire pavilion ... or what would have been in it. I believe it was very focused on the ancient history of the land -- and all of the religions that felt it was sacred to their faiths -- as well as the modern culture of the present day (being early 80s!)
Oh, to have a restaurant in WS like Zahav...

the.dreamfinder

That's interesting. From an art direction perspective, it makes more sense to have Spain between Morocco and France because you could bring the Moorish Architecture and the more European Spanish Architectural stylings together for really compelling transitions and a reflection of Spain's history.

Last edited:

articos

That's interesting. From an art direction perspective, it makes more sense to have Spain between Morroco and France because you could bring the Moorish Architecture and the more European Spanish Architectural stylings together for really compelling transitions and a reflection of Spain's history.
Agreed from the design perspective! But I'm guessing there were other reasons for placing things where they did with Israel. Remember Epcot Center was supposed to be a place of coexistence and a place where cultures could come together to learn about one another. My guess is that was the thinking for placing Morocco and Israel next to each other. Not sure what the rationale was for Spain's placement, aside from keeping it in a cluster with Germany and Italy. In other cases, the architecture matching up seemed to be more important, like the height and structure of Mexico matching up with the height and structure of Russia.

The Empress Lilly

The Israel pavilion. The 'North' marker and shoreline indicate plot 5, the plot to the east of Morocco. Next to Japan.
על לא דבר.

2s8psvp.png

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom