Possible Attraction in France pavilion (Epcot) Update - new Attraction Greenlit

DDLand

Oh, I am completely ok with updating and making the theme more cohesive. It just seems that there was a lot of complaining and bashing. My little Epcot heart felt like taking pity on the old girl and defending her amazingness just a little bit.
There's only bashing because we care about it so much. It's a sick patient in need of proper care and attention.

If you we love it we have to face the problems head on.

Last edited:

Mike S

My husband and I seem to be some of the few people who actually really love Epcot, even as it is. Is it the Epcot of my youth? No. But my family still has a great time every time we go!

It might not have as solid of a theme anymore, but it is still a lot of fun. Or at least it was, I haven't been since 2012.
I have fun there too believe it or not. That is not an excuse to wipe its problems under the rug.
It's not that people don't have a great time there even now, it's that much of the product has been corrupted or allowed to become so dated that the bad is increasingly becoming more glaring.

In a market that is becoming ever more competitive, Epcot has to keep itself in line with consumer tastes and expectations. Adding new attractions (which was part of Epcot's vision since the beginning) is crucial to staying competitive and offering a great experience.

Many of the criticisms from EPCOT fans are because people care so deeply about the park. People still appreciate Epcot classics like American Adventure and Spaceship Earth. They still enjoy touring World Showcase. Living with the Land is still the bomb. Even though many will disagree with the direction of recent movements in Epcot they can still enjoy things like Soarin'.

Still I can see why surveys are suffering and festivals are needed to prop up the park. With each passing year the place feels older and less coherent. Even since 2012 things feel older and less put together, and Orlando's market has changed dramatically since then too. Just because there are things to enjoy doesn't mean there aren't problems. Work is needed.

There's no reason to settle. EPCOT used to mean excellence.

Excellence should be there goal.
I'll go a step further and say that I genuinely enjoy Frostrom. Just not the fact it's in Epcot.
Ok, I concede. Uncle! :D
Had my post already written before I saw this.

Last edited:

Texas84

My husband and I seem to be some of the few people who actually really love Epcot, even as it is. Is it the Epcot of my youth? No. But my family still has a great time every time we go!

It might not have as solid of a theme anymore, but it is still a lot of fun. Or at least it was, I haven't been since 2012.

My family loves Epcot. Usually we hit the other parks in the mornings then finish the day at Epcot. I do miss the old Epcot though. Looking forward to new things.

rd805

The attractions aren't good enough. Plus the added nuance of buildings sitting there empty and useless. It's an expensive place to go pay an extensive amount of money to eat good food&drink. Now, 1) Ratatouille, 2) replacing Energy with something better, 3) innoventions or 3a) Wonders of Life reimagined/reopened and that problem is solved.

ToTBellHop

The attractions aren't good enough. Plus the added nuance of buildings sitting there empty and useless. It's an expensive place to go pay an extensive amount of money to eat good food&drink. Now, 1) Ratatouille, 2) replacing Energy with something better, 3) innoventions or 3a) Wonders of Life reimagined/reopened and that problem is solved.
I don't know that it's solved, but certainly mitigated. Let's see what the replacements are, though.

FerretAfros

Not to beat a dead horse, but you may discover that there are plenty of people here who are quite passionate about Epcot. However, a lot of that enthusiasm is due to the park's history and legacy, not what it is today.

Where it was once a source of inspiration to further one's understanding of the world around them, it's now just a fun place to spend the day; it no longer stands out among the other parks. It still has some great elements, but overall it's a mess of an experience.

It's not that we don't like Epcot, we're just disappointed that it's not living up to its potential. And given the extend of the rumored upcoming changes, there are a lot of people who want to see it done "right"

In short, why is Epcot the greatest park on earth?
2vmakat.jpg

KrzyKtty

Not to beat a dead horse, but you may discover that there are plenty of people here who are quite passionate about Epcot. However, a lot of that enthusiasm is due to the park's history and legacy, not what it is today.

Where it was once a source of inspiration to further one's understanding of the world around them, it's now just a fun place to spend the day; it no longer stands out among the other parks. It still has some great elements, but overall it's a mess of an experience.

It's not that we don't like Epcot, we're just disappointed that it's not living up to its potential. And given the extend of the rumored upcoming changes, there are a lot of people who want to see it done "right"

In short, why is Epcot the greatest park on earth?
2vmakat.jpg
I already cried uncle and gave up. I threw in the towel about a page back. I respect everyone's opinion. So like you said, no need to beat a dead horse since I gave up.

I will say that unlike me, my husband never knew any Epcot except the current one. He loves it, it is by far his favorite. He doesn't know what it was, what it was supposed to be, only what it is. And in that aspect, he through it was perfect. However, I know he is in the minority. So for the childlike love and wonder he has for that park, I just wanted to say what I said.

clemmo

Sorry if this has already been asked but if we get another country in addition to Rat and UK attraction where would it be located? I'd like for it to replace the outpost but I guess the could squeeze it in elsewhere.

aladdin2007

Sorry if this has already been asked but if we get another country in addition to Rat and UK attraction where would it be located? I'd like for it to replace the outpost but I guess the could squeeze it in elsewhere.

there are several expansion pads easily available

clemmo

there are several expansion pads easily available
There are plenty of expansion spaces but looking at satellite maps the outpost area has wayyy more space for a full build out of a pavilion including an attraction than the other expansion pads. The backstage waterway could be an issue there though.

JohnD

There are plenty of expansion spaces but looking at satellite maps the outpost area has wayyy more space for a full build out of a pavilion including an attraction than the other expansion pads. The backstage waterway could be an issue there though.

An earlier post, showed an old WS expansion poster for Equatorial Africa, Israel, and Spain. Currently that area is the African outpost. I think they can rule out Equatorial Africa. You can get a very good facsimile of Africa in AK, complete with a Safari, trails, Festival of the Lion King, a bar, gift shops, a food court and a restaurant.

No Name

I rarely put much weight into rumors like these, just in general, because most plans never see the light of day. I have absolutely no doubt that what is being said here is true at that moment, but it all fluctuates. By tomorrow they may have another idea, which will be replaced by another idea, and another, etc. This cycle should be a good thing because it should result in the best ideas coming to fruition, but moreso, I think it just keeps things from getting built.

That's why I like when things are announced. Hopefully D23 this summer will bring a number of announcements.

So that brings me to my question... do they plan to announce this at D23?

I am obviously not in the know, but I was thinking about something as I was reading this thread, and when I read your post it almost felt like it supported my random thought. Sure, Bob loves IP, and sure Beauty and the Beast is making a ton of money. But on that same thought...they now have the successful animated movie and they already have a successful live action movie. A ride wouldn't increase by a very large amount any profits in the movie sector of their business, and even merchandise it might not have that much of an effect. But if they built a ride for another IP - isn't there more possibilities there for tie ins. Take Rat - now I may be talking crazy (would need to rewatch the film maybe) but could there be more possibilities for this to be a sequel or live action. If you build a ride, and it is popular, the public might be more interested if such a movie came up, increasing those profits. Same with merchandise - it is not (as far as I know) a popular movie for merchandise, but if you create a ride...(could you imagine management thinking, built a ride, and we might have our first hit live action Pixar movie)

I think of like Song of the South - if we could ignore for a minute that the movie can not, and will not be (in the foreseeable future) shown in the US again, if their was no issues with the story of the movie today, wouldn't Splash Mountain be the main influence on another movie coming out (if it weren't for the controversy I think they would have revisited this property in movies already), that likely would have been more successful then the original Song of the South in theaters and on video? What I am trying to say, couldn't Bob be thinking that he wants another IP that has the potential for more. What more potential does Beauty and the Beast have (or better asked - which property, rat or Beast, has more room to increase revenue then its already making)? When will they ever make another Beauty and the beast movie that makes the money it is making in the first two most successful ones.

A live action ratatouille movie would give me nightmares. But I see your point.

I actually think there's a greater chance of a live-action BatB sequel, kind of like Alice Through the Looking Glass. That would just bother me.

clemmo

I rarely put much weight into rumors like these, just in general, because most plans never see the light of day. I have absolutely no doubt that what is being said here is true at that moment, but it all fluctuates. By tomorrow they may have another idea, which will be replaced by another idea, and another, etc. This cycle should be a good thing because it should result in the best ideas coming to fruition, but moreso, I think it just keeps things from getting built.

That's why I like when things are announced. Hopefully D23 this summer will bring a number of announcements.

So that brings me to my question... do they plan to announce this at D23?

A live action ratatouille movie would give me nightmares. But I see your point.

I actually think there's a greater chance of a live-action BatB sequel, kind of like Alice Through the Looking Glass. That would just bother me.
If it's green lit and the timeline given is accurate then i'd say yes this and the UK attraction should/could be announced. GOTG seems delayed so they may hold that off for a while. MS update and innoventions overhaul also seem to be near announcement phase. I'm expecting/hoping for lots of Epcot news. MK will likely have its big announcements in 2019 I'd think even if some of the preparation starts earlier. Just a theory though.

rioriz

There's so much going on in assume they have to be announcing some things this year at D23.....with so much on the plate,unless Disney has decided to speed up their construction timeliness, there will be numerous announcements this year and next

Since new lands seem to take 3-4 years to build and attractions 2 years we could be looking at TL redo announced next year along with Gotg and new country.

Rat, MS, UK, Innoventions, and a small DHS update could be announced this year

2019 could have the remaining Epcot, AK announcements

THE Monorail Lime

There's so much going on in assume they have to be announcing some things this year at D23.....with so much on the plate,unless Disney has decided to speed up their construction timeliness, there will be numerous announcements this year and next

Since new lands seem to take 3-4 years to build and attractions 2 years we could be looking at TL redo announced next year along with Gotg and new country.

Rat, MS, UK, Innoventions, and a small DHS update could be announced this year

2019 could have the remaining Epcot, AK announcements
Gut innovations and put something cool there

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom