Possible Attraction in France pavilion (Epcot) Update - new Attraction Greenlit

nickys

Premium Member
One reason I'm a little disappointed about the Ratatouille decision is that personally, I think Disney Studios Paris needs any exclusively attractions they can get. It seems a lot of European visitors fly out to WDW instead of Disneyland Paris because they believe, correctly, that any good attractions DLP has, WDW has as well. Many people say there's not much evidence of parks cannibalizing other parks' attendance, but I think DLRP is the one resort you could say that's true for, judging by the number of Europeans/Brits at WDW. A few exclusive attractions in Paris would probably help a lot with that.

Frankly, considering the park's suffering attendance since it opened, you could argue that WDSP needs exclusive attractions more than any Disney park in the world.

I do think Rat will be a better fit for the pavilion than B&tB, but in this case I think WDW's gain is WDSP's loss.

I can assure you that DLP can have as many exclusive attractions as it can muster, it would not stop us Brits flocking to Florida :p. Why? The weather! Seriously, France is just as cold and wet as the UK, why would we not want to come to Florida? Plus we come not just for Disney. Given the cost of flights most come for 2 weeks and do WDW, Universal, Kennedy, Busch Gardens, the beaches, Keys, Everglades,....

Paris may be the most many kids ever get to but Florida is where most people (who are looking for theme parks) will aspire to.

MCast

After years of chronic under investment they had no choice. Falling guest satisfaction surveys have reached the threshold where they can't ignore them anymore.

Question: From an announcement standpoint, would Disney announce Rat before initiating construction? If so, is it anybody's guess when they will go public with it?

Haymarket2008

@WDW1974 and even Martin (@marni1971) has hinted that Epcot is changing it's name. Does that just mean Epcot to EPCOT or Epcot20 ... or Epcot Center again? Would they really abandon the name Epcot?

I got the impression that Epcot would stay in the name. That would be sacrilege to get rid of it. It seems the most credible rumor was a reinstating of the name Epcot Center.

Haymarket2008

Good to know. I should have figured Center would be brought back. Nostalgia sells. They can market it.

I didn't really think they'd dump Epcot from the name but with this team you never really know ... LOL

If only they took the "nostalgia sells" mind set into consideration when it came to their attractions with this park. *cough* Dreamfinder *cough*. This park is steeped in 80's idealism. Why not capitalize? [A bit of an off topic tangent, sorry, I had to say it] :p

FigmentJedi

If only they took the "nostalgia sells" mind set into consideration when it came to their attractions with this park. *cough* Dreamfinder *cough*. This park is steeped in 80's idealism. Why not capitalize? [A bit of an off topic tangent, sorry, I had to say it] :p
Why else do you think Guardians of the Galaxy has been batted around for the park? They want to sell it as a nu-Captain Eo.

Haymarket2008

Why else do you think Guardians of the Galaxy has been batted around for the park? They want to sell it as a nu-Captain Eo.

That was my initial thought when the idea of Guardians in Epcot first came about. In that sense, it "somewhat" fits. But not enough haha.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
I can assure you that DLP can have as many exclusive attractions as it can muster, it would not stop us Brits flocking to Florida :p. Why? The weather! Seriously, France is just as cold and wet as the UK, why would we not want to come to Florida? Plus we come not just for Disney. Given the cost of flights most come for 2 weeks and do WDW, Universal, Kennedy, Busch Gardens, the beaches, Keys, Everglades,....

Paris may be the most many kids ever get to but Florida is where most people (who are looking for theme parks) will aspire to.
I hear there are three or four nice days in August. And the benefit is that most of the locals are off on holiday that month...

Robbiem

One reason I'm a little disappointed about the Ratatouille decision is that personally, I think Disney Studios Paris needs any exclusively attractions they can get. It seems a lot of European visitors fly out to WDW instead of Disneyland Paris because they believe, correctly, that any good attractions DLP has, WDW has as well. Many people say there's not much evidence of parks cannibalizing other parks' attendance, but I think DLRP is the one resort you could say that's true for, judging by the number of Europeans/Brits at WDW. A few exclusive attractions in Paris would probably help a lot with that.

Frankly, considering the park's suffering attendance since it opened, you could argue that WDSP needs exclusive attractions more than any Disney park in the world.

I do think Rat will be a better fit for the pavilion than B&tB, but in this case I think WDW's gain is WDSP's loss.

I don't think DLP has ever recovered from its opening when, at least from the UK, it was cheaper to travel to Florida than it was France to visit Disney. People knew that there was less to do in Paris and the big rides were all in the us parks so why go? (Yes I know the versions in Paris are better). Having exclusive rides will make hard core fans visit more resorts but for the average visitor in Europe Paris is a very different vacation to Florida

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I don't think DLP has ever recovered from its opening when, at least from the UK, it was cheaper to travel to Florida than it was France to visit Disney. People knew that there was less to do in Paris and the big rides were all in the us parks so why go? (Yes I know the versions in Paris are better). Having exclusive rides will make hard core fans visit more resorts but for the average visitor in Europe Paris is a very different vacation to Florida
DLP opened with a triple whammy of a European recession, poor business decisions and massive expenditure (for a multitude of very valid reasons). The park has been successful and in profit since 1993. The debt taken on to construct the larger resort as a whole has been a continual noose around its neck.

RoysCabin

I wish we were discussing what changes and updates might be coming to Horizons and Imagination. Those should have been classics like Small World, Pan, Mansion, POTC, etc. Such a shame.

One of the best recommendations I've ever read with regards to looking back on where EPCOT could've addressed a number of its issues was that Disney should have long ago taken over the cost of upkeeping Spaceship Earth, Imagination, and Horizons (obviously, when it was still around), eschewing outside corporate sponsorships. I realize I don't know the financial particulars, and perhaps such a plan wouldn't have made enough financial sense to pursue, but those attractions always had the most potential to be the timeless ones, especially if Horizons could've had its aesthetics updated every so often, and maintaining those pavilions would've kept more guests happy with the park even if change or neglect hit other pavilions, in the same way that a Magic Kingdom fan could be upset at certain developments in that park but still take solace in knowing the Mansion, Pirates, Peter Pan, Jungle Cruise, etc. would still be there.

I suppose there's still a chance to do that with SSE and Imagination, but I guess it's not likely in the offing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom