Possible Attraction in France pavilion (Epcot) Update - new Attraction Greenlit

tl77

Oh you know otherwise? Seeing how the insiders, you know the real ones, not the "insiders" who have been popping up lately, have said it's a done deal, I'll take their word for it. Unless you have some other info you just love to share.

I don't believe anything from WDW until it's finished being built and I can stand inside it, and that's from decades of hearing things "officially announced" by Disney and then those thing never happening for one reason or another. There should be a page of un-built concept models put together to show people how often something doesn't happen, or gets scaled way back... The trouble with the "insiders" on a for profit fan-site, is that they don't generally admit to being wrong, or to simply not knowing what will eventually happen, because no one can really know anything for certain. Not even the people designing these things know from on moment to the next because the projects are done by committees, the advertising department is separate from creative department, but both have to agree on a project before it goes ahead, ect... No one person ever knows anything until everyone knows everything... and even then plans changes like with New Fantasyland.

In 2 months at the D23 event is when you'll know, or have some idea what "might" actually happen eventually. In the meantime all you're going to get are opinions... not facts ...but in general, at the WDW property, what get's built is the thing they think will appeal to the broadest possible audience, and I don't think Ratatouille has the same appeal, or level of popularity in the U.S. as Beauty in the Beast ...but that's just my opinion, based on facts

FigmentForver96

I don't believe anything from WDW until it's finished being built and I can stand inside it, and that's from decades of hearing things "officially announced" by Disney and then those thing never happening for one reason or another. There should be a page of un-built concept models put together to show people how often something doesn't happen, or gets scaled way back... The trouble with the "insiders" on a for profit fan-site, is that they don't generally admit to being wrong, or to simply not knowing what will eventually happen, because no one can really know anything for certain. Not even the people designing these things know from on moment to the next because the projects are done by committees, the advertising department is separate from creative department, but both have to agree on a project before it goes ahead, ect... No one person ever knows anything until everyone knows everything... and even then plans changes like with New Fantasyland.

In 2 months at the D23 event is when you'll know, or have some idea what "might" actually happen eventually. In the meantime all you're going to get are opinions... not facts ...but in general, at the WDW property, what get's built is the thing they think will appeal to the broadest possible audience, and I don't think Ratatouille has the same appeal, or level of popularity in the U.S. as Beauty in the Beast ...but that's just my opinion, based on facts
If it makes you sleep better at night then you can enjoy your opinion based on "facts".

lazyboy97o

You not knowing the facts does not make them opinions. There is no competition between Beauty and the Beast and Ratatouille attractions.

Bocabear

a popular IP doesn't always mean the bet choice for a park...I know what we all saw with Norway, but even that Frozen Fiasco is a better fit than Beauty and The Beast at the France Pavilion... Too fairy tale, too too Fantasyland, and every extension of that franchaise would further drag the France Pavilion off it's mission. The only thing in the animated cartoon that would even let you know this is taking place in France, is a lyric reference in one song... other than that, it does not feel French...it just feels Fairy Tale... This would be an absolutely disasterous addition for World Showcase. Ratatouille takes place in present day France, the character is all about food and flavors which makes him a perfect match not only for the EPCOT Food andf Wine festival, but the World Showcase in general.

ToTBellHop

I agree with @RSoxNo1 that Animal Kingdom is the closest park we have that somewhat rivals Tokyo Disneysea in terms of theming and quality. IPs do not overwhelm the park. And SURPRISE - you don't need an IP for a ride to be successful (ex. Kilimanjaro, Everest, Kali, etc.)

Who knew?
DisneySea uses PLENTY of IPs...it just uses them well.

By all accounts, Pandora is spectacular, so IP can be used appropriately (I actually really like what they are going with--many years after the events of the film). Is it necessary? No. But if it gets the Board amenable to approving a $1,000,000,000 land for WDW, so be it.

DznyRktekt

upload_2017-5-12_9-33-51.png

JillC LI

OK, so I haven't read this whole thread, but I see references to Rat getting the go-ahead in the France Pavillion. Is that a definite or still a rumor? If definite, when? And is there enough room there? Rat was our favorite attraction in DLP so I would love this!

ᗩLᘿᑕ ✨ ᗩζᗩᗰ

HOUSE OF MAGIC
Premium Member
This all went belly up with Arendelle; the germination or malignant growth that kick-started the birth of IPcot.

I think Frozen paved the way. I could be wrong. Maybe the introduction of face characters made that happen. In any case, we all knew it was happening yet we had hoped the IPs added would strike a balance of being both entertaining and representing the face of a Country or culture through edutainment. Unfortunately that didn't happen. Now where in a limbo stage of what certainly appears to be the next MK lite.

So is there any chance that Epcot will gain a unique identity in the years to come? Or is "edutainment" just completely lost on Disney Parks these days. I've held out hope for so long but it seems more and more like they just want to homogenize the theme park experience. It certainly seems that way, but then you have AK which still (thankfully) clings to the teat of it's original identity even with the somewhat shoehorned Pandora. But, they made that work. Same can't be said for Arendelle:Norway.

They made the IPs work in AK but I'm not so sure IPcot will strive for that given their track record. Should we all just brace for impact now and accept that edutainment is done (GoTG?) or will the introduction of Remy actually be the vehicle for France to educate us on culture and cuisine. I hope they can make this work. A clone of a ride being shoehorned into France Pav without any "supporting context" sounds like IPcot is well on it's way. I'll miss you Epcot.

Last edited:

RSoxNo1

Toy Story Mania at Tokyo Disney Sea is one of the greatest failures of theme park design ever. They build a remarkably layered story with levels of depth (no pun intended) that go to extremes, and then they plop down a portal into Andy's Room that has nothing to do with Man's interactions with the Sea and other Cultures.

It is a stain on what I believe is the most impressive themed land ever built (sorry Mysterious Island fans, I got to love the built out architectural environments ;) ).
I'd put Mysterious Island and the American Waterfront near the top, but I'd place Africa and, possibly Diagon Alley above them both.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
OK, so I haven't read this whole thread, but I see references to Rat getting the go-ahead in the France Pavillion. Is that a definite or still a rumor? If definite, when? And is there enough room there? Rat was our favorite attraction in DLP so I would love this!

Rat is greenlit. Wasn't supposed to start until 2020, but now it seems that will be it's opening. It is being fast tracked now that the GotG ride replacing Ellen's has been delayed (or nixed entirely). So, Rat can start building as soon as next year. Plenty of room in the pad between France and Morocco. For a summary of rumors, see here: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/rumor-and-upcoming-timeline-tracker.926402/

This all went belly up with Arendelle; the germination or malignant growth that kick-started the birth of IPcot.

I think Frozen paved the way. I could be wrong. Maybe the introduction of face characters made that happen. In any case, we all knew it was happening yet we had hoped the IPs added would strike a balance of being both entertaining and representing the face of a Country or culture through edutainment. Unfortunately that didn't happen. Now where in a limbo stage of what certainly appears to be the next MK lite.

So is there any chance that Epcot will gain a unique identity in the years to come? Or is "edutainment" just completely lost on Disney Parks these days. I've held out hope for so long but it seems more and more like they just want to homogenize the theme park experience. It certainly seems that way, but then you have AK which still (thankfully) clings to the teat of it's original identity even with the somewhat shoehorned Pandora. But, they made that work. Same can't be said for Arendelle:Norway.

They made the IPs work in AK but I'm not so sure IPcot will strive for that given their track record. Should we all just brace for impact now and accept that edutainment is done (GoTG?) or will the introduction of Remy actually be the vehicle for France to educate us on culture and cuisine. I hope they can make this work. A clone of a ride being shoehorned into France Pav without any "supporting context" sounds like IPcot is well on it's way. I'll miss you Epcot.

It all started with the first Imagineer who sneaked a Hidden Mickey into Epcot.

jt04

The internet and a global economy killed the original concept by making it obsolete. Also, competition between nations and corporations will make them unlikely to sponsor exhibits that showcase their long term plans. Disney is right in reimagining the park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom