Possible Attraction in France pavilion (Epcot) Update - new Attraction Greenlit

Mike S

The best recent use of IP in WS was the waiters bringing Remy around the restaurant. A small out of the way surprise that worked perfectly. Then we have the M&Gs which do offer a way to teach where each character originates from in a small way except in the cases of Aladdin and Frozen. Major attractions is where it goes too far but it's sadly inevitable.

Tony the Tigger

WS was never intended to be a PBS documentary on the countries themselves. It's a celebration of the cultures of the various countries represented. Basically a living travel brochure for the host countries intended to give people a taste of the culture and vibe of the countries through architecture, food & drink and attractions

I believe I made a post like this several days ago.

Frostrom is a bad fit because the ride has nothing to do with Norway. It doesn't matter if the movie was set in Norway

I cannot get on board with this part. The movie is set in Norway, you're in fake Disney Norway, that's a match for me.

The MK is not finished.

And it never will be.

In my opinion, I would love to see a gradual plussing of Epcot where every or almost every country has an attraction better than the three Caballeros.

brb1006

The whole Ratatouille area (ride, restaurant, shop, restrooms) at WDSP cost 150 million Euro. If they were to clone just the ride, and have a simpler exterior, it would cost much less than $270 million to build.

Out of all Disney animated films, The Aristocats is actually the most appropriate, because not only does it take place in Paris, but in the same time period the Epcot pavilion is set in (early 1900s). Not that it has any chance of being considered, or that any [more] animated movie ride is really needed in this park.
After all the film took place in 1910. Just erase the book report style ride and make it educational.

brb1006

Remy v. Marie: The Ride

It'd be a lot like Itchy and Scratchy, but with Marie... and Remy.
That reminds me of this image taken at Epcot sometime in 2011.
tumblr_n1mmmyWTzk1t69duko1_1280.jpg

Mike S

Here's more context behind the image from a tumblr page.
"At Les Chefs de France, a great restaurant at EPCOT, this gigantic Marie stalked an animatronic Remy everywhere he went. The waitress would whisper, “Don’t worry, I will protect you,” in the thickest French accent. It was amazing."
When I first looked I didn't even notice Remy. I thought she was just staring at people eating lunch, lol.

Nickels5

I Don't believe I said it is.

One expansion - as opposed to overlay - could shock a few people if it actually happens.

But the tents aren't coming down which is what I was referencing.
What do you mean by tents? I assume you are talking about the Dumbo area? Where in the MK would the expansion be taking place? Thanks

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I cannot get on board with this part. The movie is set in Norway, you're in fake Disney Norway, that's a match for me.
Where the movie is set is really irrelevant but you are not alone in this thinking. For the average tourist it's a "good enough fit" too. The ride is wildly popular so Disney is happy as well. We are a bit obsessed with things here and focus a lot on details that seem kinda ridiculous at times but when small exceptions are made too often in the name of "good enough" or "wildly popular" you risk losing the overall theme completely. Maybe that's OK too. Maybe a WS full of IP based rides with lose connections to the host countries is better than the WS that once was. For me I'd rather see WS kept in it's original theme and have these IP based rides in MK or DHS (soon to be renamed Disney's IP park). I'm a realist though so I see that the ship set sail when Frostrom came and it won't be coming back. It's just a shame to see the other 3 parks slowly converted into mini-Magic Kingdoms. I preferred when each park had a unique identity. I am holding out hope that AK at least sticks to its theme and identity.

21stamps

The best recent use of IP in WS was the waiters bringing Remy around the restaurant. A small out of the way surprise that worked perfectly. Then we have the M&Gs which do offer a way to teach where each character originates from in a small way except in the cases of Aladdin and Frozen. Major attractions is where it goes too far but it's sadly inevitable.
But in the cases of Frozen and Aladdin you have characters who still are representing the country..with a twist. Disney is a place where Fantasy and reality can mesh together seamlessly.
IMO it's ok to mesh the 2 in WS. Especially the 2 that you mentioned. I'm trying to understand the viewpoint of why it isn't viewed as acceptable, and I just think it just boils down to different opinions. Neither one really has a solid enough reason to determine what's right or wrong in the scenario. Basically I just don't think there's a correct answer. All I know is this-I love the WS now, and I'll still love it if they add more rides or characters- even those from fictional towns or countries, bc said countries are essentially the same as the pavilion in which they are placed.
I'm ok with either scenario.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
But in the cases of Frozen and Aladdin you have characters who still are representing the country..with a twist. Disney is a place where Fantasy and reality can mesh together seamlessly.
IMO it's ok to mesh the 2 in WS. Especially the 2 that you mentioned. I'm trying to understand the viewpoint of why it isn't viewed as acceptable, and I just think it just boils down to different opinions. Neither one really has a solid enough reason to determine what's right or wrong in the scenario. Basically I just don't think there's a correct answer. All I know is this-I love the WS now, and I'll still love it if they add more rides or characters- even those from fictional towns or countries, bc said countries are essentially the same as the pavilion in which they are placed.
I'm ok with either scenario.
I can't comment on Aladdin since the ride doesn't actually exist but for Frozen I can give you the simple explanation why it doesn't work for me. The ride has nothing to do with the country of Norway. It tells me nothing about the country or the people or the culture. Just having the movie set in a fictitious land somewhere similar to Norway isn't enough to make it a good fit. Should we add rides based on every movie that's set in America to the American pavilion? Legal theme park rights to the characters aside should they build an Iron Man ride in place of the American Adventure since Iron Man and the Avengers movies are set in the U.S.? I think we can all agree on a huge no to that.

What works for me is 3 Caballeros in Mexico. It features characters but uses them to entertain while still educating guests about the host country. It's a good way to incorporate characters but keep to the original intent of WS. Frozen fails at that completely.

The_Jobu

should they build an Iron Man ride in place of the American Adventure since Iron Man and the Avengers movies are set in the U.S.? I think we can all agree on a huge no to that.

Unfortunately, there's probably a sizeable chunk of the population who'd probably be all for that.

That does leave the door open for a Wolverine/Deadpool teamup ride in the Canada pavilion :cautious:

21stamps

I can't comment on Aladdin since the ride doesn't actually exist but for Frozen I can give you the simple explanation why it doesn't work for me. The ride has nothing to do with the country of Norway. It tells me nothing about the country or the people or the culture. Just having the movie set in a fictitious land somewhere similar to Norway isn't enough to make it a good fit. Should we add rides based on every movie that's set in America to the American pavilion? Legal theme park rights to the characters aside should they build an Iron Man ride in place of the American Adventure since Iron Man and the Avengers movies are set in the U.S.? I think we can all agree on a huge no to that.

What works for me is 3 Caballeros in Mexico. It features characters but uses them to entertain while still educating guests about the host country. It's a good way to incorporate characters but keep to the original intent of WS. Frozen fails at that completely.

I was talking about rides and meet and greets. I think Jasmine fits in Morocco just fine. I think Anna and Elsa fit in Norway just fine.
I realize that some people don't.

What I don't understand is comparing the 2 to things such as Tarzan or the Avengers. That's a giant leap from any of the 3 that I just mentioned. For a kid, and adults, to be in a place where fantasy and reality collide-seeing a character that is representative of a country..but still fictional..can be interesting, relatable, and entertaining. Maybe a kid wants to learn more about Norway after seeing Anna and Elsa, maybe the family then decides to vacation or cruise there. Maybe seeing Jasmine in Morocco will make a kid interested in that culture, and they'll learn about it once arrive home..maybe a kid who typically eats burgers and hot dogs will want to eat at Restaurant Marrakesh as a result, and then becomes a more adventurous eater.

I don't see a downside.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom