Port Orleans Riverside or French Quarter?

mb2929da

We're planning a trip to WDW during the first week in March, 2003. According to "the Unofficial Guide", this appears to be a good time to go; since, there is a significant dip in attendence...historically speaking. Does anyone know why this week is considered to be Peak Season even though the attendence isn't as high as say President's Day or Spring Break weeks? Can anyone share their experiences travelling to WDW during the first week in March?

Next question, we are currently looking at staying at Port Orleans French Quarter or Riverside. We will be travelling with two children: ages 7 and 12. Hence, the pool is probably one of the most important criteria.

Is FQ close to the water taxi that goes to Downtown Disney or is this closer to Riverside?

Is the food court located at FQ or at Riverside.

Is the sit down restaraunt located at FQ or at Riverside?

Thank you,

- Mike

Dizknee_Phreek

personally, i like RS better...but FQ is great as well! as in main pools, FQ's has a nicely themed slide of a man on a sea serpent. RS's slide seemed to be longer, but not as themed...just a slide coming down from a tree house type thing (which is easy to get to...there's steps, not ladders, thank God! i have a bit of a fear with ladders!)
also, personally, in my opinion, RS's food court is the absolute best on property! hands down! but both RS and FQ have their own food court...even though the resorts are within walking distance, keep in mind that they were once two completely seperate resorts, therefore they need their own food courts. even with combineing them, they're too far apart for one group of people from one resort to walk over to the other resort esp in the morning! not to mention that'd be WAY too many people for one food court!

however, i think when they combined the two, they closed the sit-down restaurant in FQ (lowest in attendance between the two) as far as i know, RS's is still open.

also, when they combined the two, they closed the boat to Downtown Disney in FQ, but left RS's open.

last i heard, that was the story on the two. it could've changed by now, but i'm sure we would've heard it by now. hope this helps! :)

Upvote 0

mousefan17

I have stayed at riverside 2 times, the lastest july 6-13.

the frist thing i noticed when we got there was that the bridge over the pool was all blocked off, and the one large pool was made into 2. My dad asked the life guard why it was like that and she told him that it kept breaking..... soooooooo.. at the end of august, the entire pool area will be closed and refurbished. Thats what we were told about the pool, so who knows what it will look like when its done!

This past time we went with friends. the last time that they came they stayed at FQ, (5 years ago) and they like riverside better.

and the food court is awsome too! especailly the water wheel!
we ate at boatwrights too, (sitdown at riverside) it was pretty good, a little expansive, but whats not when your on vacation!

hope that helps!

Upvote 0

tiggerlover1971

I like french quarter better Its a smaller hotel and the serpent slide is great The water taxi is right in the back to take you to downtown disney Another reason I like it is my husband is from louisiana and it reminds him of it I wish they would bring back bonfamilas though their food was great ate breakfast and lunch there everytime I stayed there

Upvote 0

JLW11Hi

I have stayed at both, and both are some of the best resorts on property. I liked the southern mansion style buildings in Riverside, but I think my favorite is the New Orleans style buildings in French Quarter, with the nice gardens in front of them. Everything seems to be a lot closer in FQ too. I know RS is very spaced out, but they have a good food court.

Upvote 0

cymbaldiva

I'm a big PO (sorry, FQ) fan! I also really love the Bayou section of DL...from my one experience in the mansions, I was not impressed at all :( The food court is better at DL

Upvote 0

Dizknee_Phreek

Originally posted by tiggerlover1971
I like french quarter better Its a smaller hotel and the serpent slide is great The water taxi is right in the back to take you to downtown disney

i thought they shut down the water taxi at FQ after Sept 11 and just left the RS open. that was the last i ever heard of it. have they changed this, or do you know?

Upvote 0

cymbaldiva

Originally posted by Dizknee_Phreek

i thought they shut down the water taxi at FQ after Sept 11 and just left the RS open. that was the last i ever heard of it. have they changed this, or do you know?

Got me! I haven't been in forever...I do love that resort though!

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

well I have been to both and while I appreciated the inttimacy of the FQ I think I prefer Riverside. I stayed in the Mansions and loved it. I thought Boatwrights was one of the best sit down restaurants anywhere!! It was awesome for breakfast (we ate there 4 out of 7 days of our trip) Bonfamille's in the FQ is indeed closed although I have no idea if they plan to reopen it. Just seems kinda far to walk to go to Boatwrights!I thought the Boat ride did stop at FQ also as well as Riverside. They had closed the boat to DD altogether for a while there. I Am not sure of the actual schedule now. Id call and ask. HAve a great time whichever resort you choose.

Upvote 0

disneyguy79

Originally posted by mb2929da
We're planning a trip to WDW during the first week in March, 2003. According to "the Unofficial Guide", this appears to be a good time to go; since, there is a significant dip in attendence...historically speaking. Does anyone know why this week is considered to be Peak Season even though the attendence isn't as high as say President's Day or Spring Break weeks? Can anyone share their experiences travelling to WDW during the first week in March?

Next question, we are currently looking at staying at Port Orleans French Quarter or Riverside. We will be travelling with two children: ages 7 and 12. Hence, the pool is probably one of the most important criteria.

Is FQ close to the water taxi that goes to Downtown Disney or is this closer to Riverside?

Is the food court located at FQ or at Riverside.

Is the sit down restaraunt located at FQ or at Riverside?

Thank you,

- Mike
I, myself, am staying at the POFQ for the first time. The reason I chose it ratrher than RS was because I heard that this resort is quieter, even in the heat and crowds of summer. Also, I've heard that the food in FQ is the best on property. I leave in 7 days for 8 so I will let you know definitely.

Also, I was in WDW for the first week of March 2001 and it was crowded. I think the reason may have been because the official and the unofficial guidebook says that this week is the best time to go! It's kind of like reverse pyschology! :) Actually, I went with my ex-fiancee when she was still in college and that was her spring break. So, have fun with whatever you decide!:D :D :D :D

Upvote 0

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
YAY!!

I am booking French quater sept. 18th-24th...I hear the food court is great..so that is nice...and the rooms look excellent to from the pics i have seen on wdwig.com...not tacky at all...and nice big bathrooms......

But you guys have me confused now.....does the boat still run from the resort...to Downtown Disney? :veryconfu :veryconfu
I hope it does....it will make for a nice getaway for dinner and shopping....

Upvote 0

Dizknee_Phreek

Originally posted by DMC-12
YAY!!

I am booking French quater sept. 18th-24th...I hear the food court is great..so that is nice...and the rooms look excellent to from the pics i have seen on wdwig.com...not tacky at all...and nice big bathrooms......

But you guys have me confused now.....does the boat still run from the resort...to Downtown Disney? :veryconfu :veryconfu
I hope it does....it will make for a nice getaway for dinner and shopping....

ya know, i've walked over to FQ 2 or 3 times, and i don't think i've ever seen their food court! i've always wandered what it looked like! if the room is anything like the outside of the buildings, then yeah, it'll be nice! at first, i hated FQ cuz of all the different colors and things, but it's grown on me. especially when i saw pics of New Orleans and saw that it really does look like it. and also walking over there helped...it really is a neat place and you do feel like you're on the cobblestone streets of New Orleans!
the only thing i didn't like was that the gift shop seems smaller than others that i've seen. but maybe that's just me.
as for the boat, like i said, i THINK the FQ one is shut down, but the RS one is still going...but as other's have said, the best thing to do is call and ask. personally, i hated to boat trip the one time i took it to DD....it was a muggy morning to begin with, and the canapy on the boat just didn't help at all. needless to say, i was fairly hot and miserable the whole way to DD...i was so glad to get off that boat!

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

OK people I am going to try to clarify the boat thing a bit. I was just at Riverside in May (and am going back in October) The Boat to DD was definitely running. I saw it at several points during my trip. If the boat was running there wouldnt be any reason for it to not stop at FQ to pick up passengers. The only reason I could think of (and probably the reason it didnt stop there for a while) is the fact that up until very recently FQ was closed!!!!! It was being refurbished completely. It has since reopened and I would imagine that the boat ride has resumed its normal route. The only thing I did notice is that the boat didnt start running until later in the afternoon like 4 pm or so. To be absolutely certain though, Id call the FQ directly. The phone number is 1-407-934-5000.

Upvote 0

dixiegirl

dixie landings

i know they changed the name and everything, but po riverside wiol always be dixie landings to me...........we went there for our honeymoon 6 years ago and the place is still the same.........we love it......going back ther in 26 more days.....we have stayed in the mansions,,,,,,but love the country feel of the bayou section.........and its close to everything.....food. pool. buses...........in the mansion section you have to walk sooooooo much.....but over all the po riverside is very nice......we have stayed there 5 times already once we stayed off site......never ever agian.........its nice not to drive for a whole week...........
hope i helped..........

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom