Port Orleans French Quarter or Riverside?

Fantasmic Freak

My friend and I are leaning towards Port Orleans for our stay in August. I'm looking for some feedback on whether to choose French Quarter or Riverside and some details about both. Also, how is Boatwright's? (we will be on the dining plan)

Disney-holic

It depends on what your needs are. If there are just the 2 of you, the French Quarter is very romantic. However, if you are a family with kids, you might prefer Riverside. Boatwrights is not bad. Check out the menus by clicking on "Dining". Also, at either resort, you are only a short boat ride from Downtown Disney. They have some pretty good restaurants over there.

Upvote 0

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
My favorite moderate is Riverside. It's quiet and I love the theming. You have 1 main themed pool and 5 quiet pools that offer laundry services on this property. They have a sit down restaurant and a food court.

POFQ has the famous dragon pool. They also have a food court. FQ is much smaller than Riverside so it is more compact. It is a beautiful resort that makes you feel like you are right smack in the middle of the french quarter.

Either choice will be good. Go for what you like.

Pam

Upvote 0

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
It really depends on the size of resort you like. Riverside is very spread out and it can be a bit of a hike to get to someplaces. I personally like FQ a lot better because it is so beautiful and quiet. They have a very cool pool there and I think the food court at FQ (Beignets!!!!!!!! Try them!) is better than Riverside. Boatwright's is nothing to write home about in my opinion. FQ really makes you feel like you have been transported to another time and place in the world. To me it almost feels like your living in an apartment, not a hotel. You will be happy with either so it really comes down to a matter of preference. Also, take the boat to Downtown Disney some night. It is so relaxing.

Upvote 0

I luv WDW

French Quarter

My wife and I have stayed at both, and much prefer French Quarter. It is compact, it is beautifully landscaped and it is romantic. POFQ guests are picked up by Disney buses before those at Riverside, and are dropped off first.:wave:

Upvote 0

hankhill

Riverside

RIverside is great. My wife and I have stayed in both and the past three times we have stayed at Riverside. The pools are wonderful, rooms are basic. Boatwrights breakfast is great. We never miss it. What sets it apart for us is the overall theming, the size and the differnt sections. Personally we opt for Magnolia Bend as we enjoy the Southern Mansion charm. THere in 3 weeks. Have fun, choosing is half the fun...

Upvote 0

eroyee

POFQ or Riverside??

:animwink: Riverside. No doubt about it. Its so beautiful. Stay on the Magnolia Blend side. the mansions are so pretty. Boatwrights is excellent to eat at. We have eaten there several times. the Food court is good,too. French Quarter food court is a lot smaller, though you can eat from either resorts food court if you want to. Riverside has a carriage ride at night. Its beautiful at night. Pontoons and boats to rent. Need I say more. ha.ha.:sohappy:

Upvote 0

dixiegirl

Riverside for me as well. love the theming...yes its a large resort but there is so much to do there....if you like..at certain nites in the lounge is piano man bob....great bar at muddy rivers , near the main pool...boat and bike rental..boatwrights..yummy bannana stuffed french toast have it with a momosa...oh happy happy...nice general store.....love this place..I'll see it again in september..

Upvote 0

RonAnnArbor

I personally prefer French Quarter bigtime over Riverside...but you should do a search of the forum for Port Orleans; Moderate Resorts; POFQ vs POR; Which resort?; Which moderate resort; WHich moderate resort for kids; Which moderate resort for adults. We have about 15 threads discussing the merits of French Quarter vs Riverside and you have lots to search and read - you will get lots and lots of opinions.

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

I luv WDW said:
My wife and I have stayed at both, and much prefer French Quarter. It is compact, it is beautifully landscaped and it is romantic. POFQ guests are picked up by Disney buses before those at Riverside, and are dropped off first.:wave:
I don't think you can sum it up any better. Because its compact and smaller - there are fewer guests

Upvote 0

Goofy36

We stayed at Riverside the last time we were at WDW and loved it. We toured FQ and it was nice too, just not our taste though. The pool at Riverside is better themed, the landscaping is nicer. It is a lot bigger but I think that helps to make it feel less crowded.

If we don't stay at a deluxe next time we are visiting we will definitely stay at POR!

Upvote 0

4friends4ever

We stayed last July at Port Orleans Riverside. We were two couples, all of us in our 50's. Had a wonderful time. Main pool was beautiful, we even enjoyed the waterslide. Read horrible reviews about Boatwright Restaurant, but every day for a week we had breakfast, and two nights dinner. Not one complaint, service was friendly and attentive.

Quite and clean rooms, which is very important to us. Walked over to French Quarters, not for us. Like the landscapping much better at Riverside.

Wherever you choose you will have a great time.

Upvote 0

Teenchy

As said before this topic has been discussed many times before. Do a search to find lots of opinions.

For 2 "sister properties" they are very different. We prefer FQ, because we like the smaller romantic feel and our love for the real FQ.

But you cant go wrong with either one. How many nights are you staying? For example, How about 3 nites at one and 2 at another. We use to do crazy things like this before we became DVC Members. This gave us a chance to try everything and find our favorites.

I know its a pain packing back up etc. But we usually sort of live out of the suit cases while we are there anyways.

Have fun!

Upvote 0

figmentmom

Another vote for Riverside - although, frankly,you can't go wrong at either. (Check out the previous threads on this subject.)

Have a great trip! :wave:

Upvote 0

Fantasmic Freak

Original Poster
Thank you all for your input. We are two female twentysomethings coming down with one of our mothers. We ended up booking the French Quarter with a water view room, I'm sure it will be great. We're just happy to be moving up to the Moderate resorts, lol.

Upvote 0

e4ymod

Both are beautiful. The theming at POR is great! Personally, though, I prefer POFQ because of it's size. Everything is a lot closer together, and nothing is ever too far away.

Upvote 0

eroyee

rooms at riverside?

:wave: Building 14 in alligator bayou is right by the food court. if you get on the other side in Magnolia blend, the partierre place I believe, is the closest to the bridge you walk right across to the food court. allearsnet.com has layouts of resorts maps. have fun. Riverside is our favorite resort.!!:animwink: :sohappy:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom