Pop Century renovation schedule

Josh97

Original Poster
We are staying at the pop century preferred rooms poolside view. I assume these rooms are in the 60s building. We will be arriving Feb 2nd. Does any one know if the 60s are going to or has been refurbished?

Cmdr_Crimson

The last update I recall they were working on the 70's....I'm coming around that same time on Jan 29th but, I'm on the tail end staying in the 50's section...

Rsj88

Buildings 7,8,9, and 10 are done. They are currently working on the 70’s with building 6. I think building 10 took them about 3 months to finish so I would guess building 6 won’t be done until January sometime. Then they will start work on the 60’s buildings.

beachlover4444

I found out when I was there in September if you are booking the lower priced rooms, you are in the non renovated ones. The renovated rooms are getting the higher rates. I didnt realize that when booking. I nicely, not pushy, asked for a renovated room and they moved me to one. Enjoyed it very much.

crosswagon

Does anyone know if they are charging more for the renovated rooms? We had preferred rooms in our original reservations and lost them when we converted over to free dining offer. We were to slow when free dining opened up that morning lol. So we took the standard rooms with free dining. We are just happy to be going in 16 days!

Rob562

Does anyone know if they are charging more for the renovated rooms? We had preferred rooms in our original reservations and lost them when we converted over to free dining offer. We were to slow when free dining opened up that morning lol. So we took the standard rooms with free dining. We are just happy to be going in 16 days!

You can still possibly get a room in the 60's section if you want. About 1/3 of the 60's rooms are classified as Standard. They're the rooms on the backside of the far end of each building, facing the lake. (Though some of these rooms in Building 4 may be looking out at the construction of the gondola station in the lake) Just have them add a request for the 60's section to your reservation.

-Rob

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Buildings 7,8,9, and 10 are done. They are currently working on the 70’s with building 6. I think building 10 took them about 3 months to finish so I would guess building 6 won’t be done until January sometime. Then they will start work on the 60’s buildings.

So, 80's and 90's are done, buildings 7, 8, 9

And should I assume that 70's, both building 10 and 6 are done?

Have they moved on to other buildings yet?

I last stayed at the POP in September. At that time I requested the 80s building in MyDisneyExperience and then called and had a request for a refurb. added to my reservation. It worked. Also, I have heard if you are flexible about when you check in, later the better, you have a better chance of getting the room you want.
I am now 11 days from another stay at the POP and have done the same, hoping that we get another refurb. They are really nice:)

Mainahman

Is there a timeline on when they may be done? Were due to check in March 3rd, and curious what we will encounter. I forget what building we were in in 2012, but we have requested the same room do to location and quietness.

allgiggles

Is there a timeline on when they may be done? Were due to check in March 3rd, and curious what we will encounter. I forget what building we were in in 2012, but we have requested the same room do to location and quietness.

I believe the permits are good through the end of April 2018. However, it has taken them 10 months to get the first half of the resort refurbished (they started in March 2017), so unless they kick it in to high gear and move at a much faster pace than they have been, I don't see how they can be finished by the end of April. I'm guessing the permits will be extended and the refurb will be finished in late summer/early fall. At this point, Buildings 7, 8, 9, & 10 are complete while buildings 6 & 5 are in progress (it appears as though 6 is nearly complete...just haven't gotten any confirmation that it *is* complete. Some rooms have been back in inventory for a month already.). It's been taking 2-3 months to complete each building and they are working on 2 buildings at a time.

Mainahman

makes sense. Im cool either way, as we dont spend alot of time at the resort, but a chance to see a new room would be nice. Havent been since 2012.

Mainahman

After seeing the new rooms, I want that haha! Is there any tricks or tips to getting an updated room? I do t care if I'm on the top floor, I want the bigger bed!

allgiggles

After seeing the new rooms, I want that haha! Is there any tricks or tips to getting an updated room? I do t care if I'm on the top floor, I want the bigger bed!

There are a few things you can do. The first one is to call Disney and have them add "Refurbished room" to your room request. Another thing is during online check-in you can request to be in one of the sections (70's, 80's, 90's) where the refurbishments have been completed. And if you're a member of Touring Plans, you can use their faxing service to request a specific room that is in one of the completed buildings (you can also just send a fax yourself for free). There is no harm in doing all three of those things -- just be sure your room location requests don't conflict.

If none of those "tricks" works and you still end up in one of the non-refurbished rooms when you arrive, you can go to the front desk and nicely ask if there are any refurbished rooms available. They might have something available immediately or within a few hours; or you might be able to move to one the next day; or they might not have any available. It never hurts to ask.

Mainahman

Thank you! We stayed on the backside of the 60s section facing what is now art of animation last time. and really liked that location. but i rather have the queen bed and updated room. when we booked we asked for the same room as last trip, but thats before we knew about the rennovation.
There are a few things you can do. The first one is to call Disney and have them add "Refurbished room" to your room request. Another thing is during online check-in you can request to be in one of the sections (70's, 80's, 90's) where the refurbishments have been completed. And if you're a member of Touring Plans, you can use their faxing service to request a specific room that is in one of the completed buildings (you can also just send a fax yourself for free). There is no harm in doing all three of those things -- just be sure your room location requests don't conflict.

If none of those "tricks" works and you still end up in one of the non-refurbished rooms when you arrive, you can go to the front desk and nicely ask if there are any refurbished rooms available. They might have something available immediately or within a few hours; or you might be able to move to one the next day; or they might not have any available. It never hurts to ask.

Mainahman

Just called them, and they said all Standard rooms are now done, and its the preferred that they are working on. So i have it written all over our reservation that we want a updated room haha! Cant wait now!

allgiggles

Just called them, and they said all Standard rooms are now done, and its the preferred that they are working on. So i have it written all over our reservation that we want a updated room haha! Cant wait now!

Good luck! I think you'll have a good shot at getting a refurbished room if you make those requests. I'm not sure why the CM said that all of the standard rooms are finished and they're only working on preferred rooms...unless they were referring to building 6 specifically. Building 5 has just recently been started and they haven't even closed that entire building yet. Not to mention, Buildings 1-4 haven't even been touched yet...and there are plenty of standard rooms in those buildings. FWIW, some people have called to have "refurbished room" added to their room request and the phone CM has told them there are no renovations happening at the resort right now. Just par for the course with phone CMs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom