Pop Century renovation schedule

allgiggles

Thanks both of you! I wish it wasn't a pool view but that's what was available for the summer meal deal discount.

You can always go to the front desk when you arrive and just ask if there are any non pool view rooms available to switch to. They may or may not have something else available and they may or may not offer a credit for the price difference in the cost of the room if there is something available. It never hurts to ask (nicely). There may be some pixie dust available that day. :)

exnihlio13

Thanks both of you! I wish it wasn't a pool view but that's what was available for the summer meal deal discount.
Same..though I wonder if the Lake would also be considered "pool".
Can't hurt to ask if you can switch to a non-pool a week before you trip with a direct call and they can see what's available.
That's my plan anyhow although I think I'm scared of 50s. I'd rather a refurbed room.

lunatiksblazer

My Wife and I were down in November and requested a reno-room because we were celebrating our one year anniversary and didn't want a double bed room. We booked a pool view for the reason that was all that was available. We went back up to the front desk and waited in line to talk to someone to see if we could switch. While in line we started talking to an older lady that had her grand kids with her. They received a reno-room and had no desire to have it because of the distance to the pool. Seemed perfect, we went up to the counter together because she wanted to trade with us. Well they put her in a non reno-room and sent her on her way. Then proceed to tell us that we could not have the reno-room because it was a down grade from the pool view. I explained I didn't really care about the view nor was I concerned about the price difference. The front desk girl and manager could not make it happen because it was labeled a down grade. We ended up switching to art of animation to get a queen bed.

allgiggles

My Wife and I were down in November and requested a reno-room because we were celebrating our one year anniversary and didn't want a double bed room. We booked a pool view for the reason that was all that was available. We went back up to the front desk and waited in line to talk to someone to see if we could switch. While in line we started talking to an older lady that had her grand kids with her. They received a reno-room and had no desire to have it because of the distance to the pool. Seemed perfect, we went up to the counter together because she wanted to trade with us. Well they put her in a non reno-room and sent her on her way. Then proceed to tell us that we could not have the reno-room because it was a down grade from the pool view. I explained I didn't really care about the view nor was I concerned about the price difference. The front desk girl and manager could not make it happen because it was labeled a down grade. We ended up switching to art of animation to get a queen bed.

So you got a suite at AoA??? Did you have to pay the difference or was it a pixie dust upgrade?

lunatiksblazer

Unfortunately the pixie dust was no where to be found and we paid the upgrade for the suite at AOA. Not really sure what was going on during that time frame we were there (November 11-15), it was crazier then our normal memorial day trips. The only room available in all of Disney at that moment with a bed larger then a double was the suite at AOA.

Side note, its always interested me out of my 11 trips to Disney, how the hotels are so differently run. Never had a nightmare experience but its like all the hotels are truly different businesses, not all under the same company. The staff at AOA seemed a lot more pleasant to deal with and enjoyed their jobs more then the staff at POP.

exnihlio13

Yikes..well guess we won't bank on that then.
I've been checking fairly regularily to see if I can change my reservation to preferred though at this point I'm guessing we'd wind up on 80s/90s which would be our safest bet.
Thanks for the heads up

allgiggles

Unfortunately the pixie dust was no where to be found and we paid the upgrade for the suite at AOA. Not really sure what was going on during that time frame we were there (November 11-15), it was crazier then our normal memorial day trips. The only room available in all of Disney at that moment with a bed larger then a double was the suite at AOA.

Side note, its always interested me out of my 11 trips to Disney, how the hotels are so differently run. Never had a nightmare experience but its like all the hotels are truly different businesses, not all under the same company. The staff at AOA seemed a lot more pleasant to deal with and enjoyed their jobs more then the staff at POP.

Bummer that there was no pixie dust involved but I'd love to have a suite at AoA as just a couple. We love it there but we always have 3 or 4 "kids" (teens/adult) with us so we don't really get to enjoy all that space. :) We've stayed at AoA 3 times so far (4th stay coming up in summer) and I've always found the staff to be overly happy and helpful. The first time we stayed there I attributed their joyfulness to the fact that the resort was still very new, but 4 years later, they were just as happy.

clarabellej

We are staying at the pop century preferred rooms poolside view. I assume these rooms are in the 60s building. We will be arriving Feb 2nd. Does any one know if the 60s are going to or has been refurbished?
Josh did you get a renovated 60s room? We leave in 5 days and my request is for highest floor 60s. I know they were working on building 5, just wondered how far along they were when you were there. Thanks for any info!

clarabellej

Can someone who has been more recently please give an update on the progress of 60s section renovations. That is our favorite section, so hoping to stay there soon.

allgiggles

Is there a recent update on where Pop Century is at on their renovations?

There were reports last week of people getting newly renovated rooms in building 5 of the 60's but only a small section of rooms was open at that point and the rest of the building was still being worked on. Most of building 4 was is closed but there are some non-renovated rooms still open. Work has begun on part of Building 3 in the 50's section.

clarabellej

Thanks for the updates. As I said, I did call and ask for a renovated room, so we shall see. We arrive Sunday (3/11) night. I got a little worried bc I was requesting 60s as my room location via online check in. I started to think I might be pushing my luck since 60s is still being worked on and that I might end up in a non renovated room. Especially since I’d also asked for highest floor. Being preferred and not preferred pool view will be an issue too. The plain preferred are kind of all over. The odd thing was, when I checked my online check in room location requests today, they had been wiped clean! I thought that was strange. Maybe it means they are already in the process of assigning? It said “none selected.” Kind of bugged me bc not only did I do online checkin ages ago, I had made selections. Maybe I did online checkin a little too early, but it took the info. So I went right back in and requested 60s again and this time ground floor. The other thing I noticed is option 1 (in this case 60s) ends up listed as your 2nd option. Basically your request gets flipped in terms of priority. In all fairness, I was warned long ago that the resort would be under renovation and being in a specific section could not be guaranteed. The funny thing is we are having drainage/street work done here at home & had some home renovations done as well. We’ve kind of become accustomed to being in a construction zone. So we will feel right at home. We’ll know where we’ve ended up in four more days 😉.

Deuce84p

Please keep us updated clarabellej and have a great time! We arrive on the 17th. I haven’t made any requests but my MDE app says I’m set for preferred pool view, so I’m curious to see where I’ll end up being. I’m not picky though, just excited and curious!

clarabellej

Please keep us updated clarabellej and have a great time! We arrive on the 17th. I haven’t made any requests but my MDE app says I’m set for preferred pool view, so I’m curious to see where I’ll end up being. I’m not picky though, just excited and curious!
Thanks!!!!! We are excited too and I know whatever room we get, will be fine. We love Pop and have stayed there many times over the years. Enjoy your trip too! Happy St. Paddy’s Day!! I’ll try and remember to report back.

JennaMills15

There were reports last week of people getting newly renovated rooms in building 5 of the 60's but only a small section of rooms was open at that point and the rest of the building was still being worked on. Most of building 4 was is closed but there are some non-renovated rooms still open. Work has begun on part of Building 3 in the 50's section.
Great! Thank you for the update! I arrive on the 19th, so just trying to see how far along and where I should request our room!

clarabellej

Great! Thank you for the update! I arrive on the 19th, so just trying to see how far along and where I should request our room!
They’ve worked backwards starting with the 90s. 80s and 90s have been done for a while now. So requesting one of those will get you a renovated room. I assume if they’ve begun 60s, then 70s must be completed as well? A good tip: if you don’t want to pay extra for preferred location (closer to main building) request 90s near transportation. A standard there facing parking puts you near main building! And those rooms have all been renovated.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom