Pop Century opinions?

foxfire

I'm thinking of staying @ the P.C. for 2 nights while in Orlando. How does it compare to the other value resorts? Any favorite rooms/decades? Thanks!

SusanAnne

I personally would choose Disney's All Star Movies over Pop Century, we stayed at PoP last month and I would not stay there again. The theming is much better at Movies, the food court is better, plus housekeeping is better. Movies is more Disneyfied, while PoP is more icons of the decades.

Upvote 0

Lennyg512

Originally posted by SusanAnne
I personally would choose Disney's All Star Movies over Pop Century, we stayed at PoP last month and I would not stay there again. The theming is much better at Movies, the food court is better, plus housekeeping is better. Movies is more Disneyfied, while PoP is more icons of the decades.
I agree with you SusanAnne. I would rather stay at Disney's All-Star Movies Resort because of the same reasons you listed. Although I have never visited Disney's Pop Century Resort, from the pictures I have seen, I would rather stay at Disney's All-Star Resorts.

Upvote 0

Coree

I think it totally depends on the theming you prefer. Pop Century is certainly less "disney" than AS Movies because there are less characters (although there are a few like Lady and the Tramp, Jungle Book, and Roger Rabbit). But in terms of what they offer, the values are pretty much all the same. I've stayed at AS Music, AS Sports, and Pop (and will be at Pop again next week) and I'd choose Pop Century over the other two in a heartbeat. AS Movies would be great though too and I've never gotten the chance to stay at that one. If you're really into Disney culture--I'd say AS Movies. If you're more into pop culture--I'd say Pop Century.

Upvote 0

skeeter

I have stayed at both and enjoyed both--personally, I enjoyed Pop Century (of course, that was back in January and it wasn't too crowded). The only thing I didn't care for was that you might have to park quite far from your building. We stayed in the 50s theme, and it was quite a hike to our car. Hope your luggage has wheels. Otherwise it was fine. The lobby houses some great window displays. What a blast down memory lane!:p

Upvote 0

MKCP 1985

Originally posted by foxfire
I'm thinking of staying @ the P.C. for 2 nights while in Orlando. How does it compare to the other value resorts?

From just a drive-by, my answer is . . . TACKY. The decor looks like slapped on cardboard cutouts all over a Travelodge. At least with the All Stars, the outdoor decor is 3-D.

Upvote 0

Moustronaut

My wife and I stayed at Pop Century last month. We stayed in the 1970's. This was our first venture into value resorts. We really enjoyed staying there. We loved the giant big wheel and foozball field between the buildings. Took me a while to realize the monolithic signs at the end of the buildings were 8 track tapes.

Pop Century doesn't scream Disney with all the character statues everywhere like the All-Stars do. But personally that's why we liked it. We appreciated the uniqueness of the theaming as we do at the moderate and deluxe resorts we've stayed at. Pop is well theamed to each decade and there are Disney Characters where appropriate (giant Mickey Phone in the 70's).

Having been there I was least impressed with the 90's, but maybe that's because it's fresh in my memory and not old enough to be campy yet. The 50's with their giant bowling pins looked like it would have been fun to stay in. I'm very much looking forward to when they open the legendary years and see how they themed each decade.

Upvote 0

jojoyner55

Well...I had never stayed at a Budget before; had always done Moderates - so when my family chose the Pop Century for our Christmas trip last December, I was leary. I was most pleasantly surprised. Bear in mind I have not stayed at any of the All-Stars, but was very well pleased with Pop Century. I thought the theming was delightful, the Food Court good, the room more than adequate, and the staff excellent. In fact, I'm staying there again in June - This is the first time I have been able to go back to WDW so soon after a trip. I'm sure I will enjoy PC again. And okay, I am treating myself to a first - my last day (3 night resort, 4 day Park Hopper) I am moving to the Animal King dom Lodge - My first stay at a Deluxe! I'll probably get spoiled. But take it from someone who travels a lot because of their job: I have stayed in so-called "four star" hotels in Europe that were nowhere as good as the Pop Century!

Upvote 0

Moustronaut

Re: Re: Pop Century opinions?

Originally posted by MKCP 1986
From just a drive-by, my answer is . . . TACKY. The decor looks like slapped on cardboard cutouts all over a Travelodge. At least with the All Stars, the outdoor decor is 3-D.

Yea the words on the buildings are kinda tacky looking. But it's in the same spirit as the stuck on decorations at the all-starts like the 2D cut outs of the army men at AS Movies' Toy Story Building.

There are PLENTY of 3D decor items at Pop. Giant bowling pins, rubix cubes, 8 tracks, big wheels, yo-yo's, foozball players, and playdoh animals.

Upvote 0

Brian_B

Well, despite how everyone says disney's been cutting back and they're not what they used to be and everything - I think Pop Century is AMAZING (esp if you're a cultural history junkie like me), along with Philharmagic and Mission: Space.

I know that this is a bit off topic, but now I've riled myself and I need to speak to in between my last two WDW trips, from december 2003 to March 2004 I read this board daily. From the way everyone on it talks, Disney World used to be a gilded paradise that's now on the same quality level as a motel 8. While I do think that eisner doesn't have what it takes anymore, I find that the majority of you folks seem to exaggerate. This was evidenced mostly in what I feared to ride the most when I went in March - Splash Mountain. I seriously expected it to be dilapidated, but when I went on, it was 99% flawless.

You have to keep in mind that God didn't build disney world; it is run and maintained by mere mortals, and to expect 100% of EVERY ride to be 100% operational at all times and for every little hole, nook and cranny to be filled is rediculous. You seriously think that in 1973 there wasn't a single flaw in the place?

I know that what I just said makes me seem like a bottom line thinker, but I'm not - I'm simply trying to portray disney world realistically. When a person goes for the first time, the magic tends to overwhelm and you don't really notice a dime-sized hole in Pirate #46's left eyelid on POTC.

Don't get me wrong - I don't mean to knock any of you, but Disney does still make amazing and wonderful things, and I think they deserve a little more credit than is usually given.

-Brian

Upvote 0

nicholas

I adore POP! I've stayed there twice this year already. Once in the 50's (bowling pins) and once in the 70's (8 tracks). I thought the food court was wonderful. There will be a bit of a walk to and from the main building unless you're in the 60's, but I didn't mind it all that much as I enjoyed walking through the resort and getting to experience it some. I enjoyed the 50's for the proximity to the bowling pin pool, but would also try to get the 60's for their pool or for their proximity to everything if you decided to stay at POP.

I've never stayed at an All Star (I will be next month), but if I had a choice, I would pick POP for the mere fact I believe the All Star resorts is where all of the cheerleading, band, choir, etc groups are put. And that's just not something I would want to deal with if I had a choice. :brick: :hammer:

But I'm sure each are fine! Enjoy your trip!

Upvote 0

AKFreak

POP is a great resort, I had a room overlooking the lake. What a view! Transportation: Be prepared to stand on the busses. There are lots of busses serving the resort, but the resort itself is big. Food: I'm a big guy and I like to eat. I really didn't care for the food that much, especially the dinner menu. Unlike All Stars, if you want a homestyle dinner, you only have 1 choice. It's served in a aluminum "tv dinner" style tray, and you don't get much.

Overall, it's not that bad. I'll stay there again.

Upvote 0

epcot2004

We stayed at Pop Century in March and loved it. Although we were concerned about the theming we found it to be a fun atmosphere, more so than All-Star Music. We chose to stay in the 70's building because that's the decade when both of us were born but quickly realized it was a good choice because it was so close to the main building (Classic Hall). In my opinion this resort far exceeds the other value resorts (Music anyway, haven't stayed at Movies or Sports)and we plan to return in a few years hopefully when the Legendary Years section opens (PO Riverside next year). I don't know what else to say about it other than it was a great experience.:)

Upvote 0

tigger1968

We just got back from our first, and last, stay at Pop Century. First, with only four CM's working the checkin counter, the wait was rediculous. We were given the wrong room number in the wrong building, which created another trip back to the long line at the checkin counter. Our room keys were de-magnetized three times, which, according to the CM's, was most likely caused by my having a cell phone or camera within close proximity to my key. Granted, the last 8 times I have been to WDW were no problem, but, this trip, it is. The food court offerings were a bit limited, but the choices they have are pretty tasty. The busses to the parks were great, we never waited more than 10 minutes for one. Getting back is a nightmare, especially from the MK after Wishes. This is a 3000 room resort that is being serviced by ONE bus stop at MK. They were sending three busses every five minutes to the stop, and we had to wait at least 30 minutes before we got on a bus. On our last night, we loitered in the park until 10:30 before walking out to the busses. The line stretched down past two more stops. By the time we got on a bus, all the other stops were empty, and there were still people in line at ours. I spoke to two Transport CMs, and they both say it's complete gridlock all the time. Overall, the resort is nice, and the theming is great. My biggest fear is that they are headed for serious capacity issues here. There is only one food court and one gift shop, and the bus issue will only get worse unless it is addressed soon. I will be back at All Stars for the immediate future.

Upvote 0

TURKEY

It's managed to handle extreme crowds pretty well.

Parking is being expanded.

When did you check in? Early, early in the morning and late late at night, there aren't as many CMs checking in due to lack of people that come in.

Upvote 0

brisem

My family just got back from Pop Century last night and absolsolutely loved it. True the decor is decade related and doesn't scream Disney, but you get that at the parks. It also seemed like there was more room to move around than the AllStars.

Upvote 0

mickeysaver

As an opening day guest, I can say that I certainly did enjoy our stay at Pop Century. We were there for a week. Now, I would not pay for a preferred view again, but othewise, it was awesome. I preferred it to ASMu. Maggie

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom