Pop Century opinions?

foxfire

I'm thinking of staying @ the P.C. for 2 nights while in Orlando. How does it compare to the other value resorts? Any favorite rooms/decades? Thanks!

Chris

We will never stay at Pop Century again. It is just not run well. We had problems from the moment we arrived on site. The hotel staff just does not seem very well coordinated. When we cahcked in the preferred room we had paid for was not available and the only room that we could get was a smoking room. They had us move to another resort in the middle of the night. (Long and very bad story). When we finally got the room we had paid for, it had not been cleaned. Housekeeping was not up to what I expect from Disney.

The food court does not offer a lot of "kid friendly" choices.

We did like to overall layout and the theming was good.

Parking Sucks!!!!!!!!!! We paid for a preferred room and the food court was just as clsoe to several other non preferred duildings and the parking was a looonnnnggggg way away.

We have stayed at the All Star Sports 3 time, the All Star Music 6 times, the All Star Movies twice, the Poly once, Coronodo Springs once and Port Orleans once. So we have a lot to compare this resort with.

I was not pleased. I will be back at the All Stars in November!

Upvote 0

skeeter

Chris-sounds like you guys had a horrible visit:( Hopefully with this still being a new resort, the staff can work out the kinks and the level will meet and exceed Disney expectations, because it truly is a fun resort. Take care:wave:

Upvote 0

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
You guys are kinda scaring me.:veryconfu

We're staying there next week, a party of twelve with 2 electric wheelchairs (one person is mobile, just dependant on the equipment that the chair carries, one not mobile), three rooms, and several under-12 children. I really hope that the bad experiences are the *rare* exception.

Well, thinking about it a little more, I guess the only really scary part is the transportation to/from the parks.

Upvote 0

Yellowbird97

My husband and I stayed at Pop Century in March for 3 nights and loved it. We stayed in the 60's building, our room was very nice/clean and was ready when we checked in at 11:00 AM, staff was very friendly and we enjoyed the food court very much. Experienced the same bus service as we have at other resorts, had a bit of a wait sometimes, but I think that is to be expected when you go to the parks during peak times when parks are opening in the AM or when they are closing in the PM. We have also stayed at All Stars in the past and we actually liked Pop Century just as much or even a little more than All Stars. We thoroughly enjoyed the pop culture atmosphere. Now we did travel by ourselves in March, but are going back to Pop Century in July with our kids and grandkids and I think they will also like staying there. The pool was very nice with water-spouting flowers and a nice kiddie pool. Only disappointment was no hot tub. But all in all I would say to at least try it. It may turn out to be one of your favorite places to stay.:cool:

Upvote 0

bidnow5

I hope I do this right this is my first post. I am staying at Pop Century in June. I was really surprized last October when we stayed at All Stars at how nice they are. I have always stayed at Moderate resorts and for the price I am hooked on the value priced units now. I can't wait to go in June. I miss 8 tracks.
Glen

Upvote 0

TURKEY

Originally posted by bidnow5
I hope I do this right this is my first post. I am staying at Pop Century in June. I was really surprized last October when we stayed at All Stars at how nice they are. I have always stayed at Moderate resorts and for the price I am hooked on the value priced units now. I can't wait to go in June. I miss 8 tracks.
Glen

You did it right. Welcome to the boards! :wave:

Which All-Stars theme did you stay at?

You should be happy with Pop no matter what anyway.

Upvote 0

bidnow5

Thank you very much. We stayed at Music I loved it we had a first floor prefered room. This June we couldn't get the pass holder rate at Pop Century for the whole trip so we are doing 7 days at Pop Century and three at Music again. I hate to pay full rates and I don't mind going to Music for three days again

Upvote 0

humphrybear

:veryconfu Ok, I am really scared now. I am going to WDW in June for 5 days. Originally our reservation was for ASMusic and after seeing the Disney Promotional DVD we changed our reservation to PC.

We have stayed at all three All Stars several times since 1999 and have had no problems before. We just thought it would be great staying at the new PC because of the pop culture. I agree that it's won't be screaming Disney but that's ok.

How far is the parking from the rooms? Is the food court similar to the ones at the All Stars? Do they also sell the refillable mugs??? We are arriving around noon, will this be a bad time to arrive?

Help me out please.

:confused:

Upvote 0

TURKEY

Originally posted by humphrybear
:veryconfu Ok, I am really scared now. I am going to WDW in June for 5 days. Originally our reservation was for ASMusic and after seeing the Disney Promotional DVD we changed our reservation to PC.

We have stayed at all three All Stars several times since 1999 and have had no problems before. We just thought it would be great staying at the new PC because of the pop culture. I agree that it's won't be screaming Disney but that's ok.

How far is the parking from the rooms? Is the food court similar to the ones at the All Stars? Do they also sell the refillable mugs??? We are arriving around noon, will this be a bad time to arrive?

Help me out please.

:confused:

The food court area is similar and they sell the mugs there as well. Noon should be a pretty good time to arrive. Your room just might not be ready.

Parking is the worst part.

Upvote 0

David

We have always stayed at All Stars on our trips because we use the room only for sleeping, shower and change. We thought about booking PC for our October trip, but were concerned about the AC system. I read some posts that the room system seemed to be motion activated, so during the night, the AC would shut down until the next morning when movement was detected in the room. In the summer, I think that would be pretty uncomfortable. Anyone else had this problem?

Upvote 0

pepsistar

:D Hummmm let me see---- I think out of the All Stars' I like the Music best-- Why you say? It seems as though the staff there is a little more friendly/Disney. I liked the Movies best before because of the decorations as I am a huge movie fan. However for some reason the staff at Music was more accomidating. (sp ?) More personal in their responses, concern with your special visit.

We stayed at Sports a while ago as that was the only one that had any space at the time-- My grandson liked the decor but I found it to be a little run down-- not bad, but because it is the oldest-- Just normal wear and tear. Really bad towels-- :(

We stayed at Pop in January for the first time in the 50's building. ( worth the extra $$ to be closer, for us ) Like everyone has said-- the parking is the biggest problem! We just carried our things through the main building and left the car in the checkin area. ( we were told we could do this ) One problem I had-- This may seem silly but-- the beds are HARD! :cry: Maybe it is because they are new-- and I like a hard mattress- BUT Owww my back! and our pillows were like balls :lol:

The BIGGEST!!! problem!!

The AC will not go below 68 and works on a motion sensor! So if you leave it on 68 while you are gone it will still be warm when you return. :goodnevil I checked with the front desk and all the rooms are like this! ( energy saving ?? ) Also, there is NO way to just get the fan to go on either! to move the air around. I hope this has been fixed as it is HOT out now and when we went it was in the 60's-- But when you all take a hot shower-- it really gets warm, stuffy. We will see in a few more days! going on the 11th of May!

We found the Food Court to have quite a larger selection of food choices, especially dessert , yummy! Plus my grandson found the Slushy !!! machine-- ( none at All Stars' ) So this makes it a favorite for him. Also the game room is almost/same size as the one at Riverside pretty big and lots of choices for the smaller guests! plus you get tickets for prizes-- Nothing special but at least you get something for ALL the $$$ you spend on the games :D ( found this to be pretty busy! especially when the parks close early )

Anyway we will see how it is this time and compare--- Oh, we never had a problems with the bus rides-- even MK did not take any longer than from the All Stars-- maybe a little faster-- Straight down the road-- Ha ha I think? :lookaroun

Upvote 0

TURKEY

Well, the people working 1 day at Music are probally going to be the people working at Movies and Sports later in the week. CMs usually at least end up at 2 of the themes, sometimes all 3.

Did you stay in the 60's? That's the preferred buildings that cost more.

The parking gets complaints, but I've only heard 1 or 2 complaints on the AC and hear them at all resorts I've been to.

Upvote 0

pepsistar

Turkey leg boy--- Ummmmm It might have been the 60's ??? My ole mind may be slipping? ha ha Or I guess I just did not look at the number-- It was the one with the Duncan Yo Yo. Too excited??

Hummmm I did not know that the resort staff went to different places? Maybe that is why some are more knowledgeable than others at times? I would imagine you would have a favorite to work at.

When we were at POP they had several people standing by, just in case. Good thing too as the young man I had at check in crashed the computer "3" times while working on our reservation-- :cry:

Probably because the system was new, but we had a good laugh about it-- I told him maybe it was because he was due to go home?? :lol: The supervisor said yes, BUT he has done it all day! Oh well, things finally got taken care of and we were on our way ( no crayons though ? Why?, coloring book but no crayons? )

I have never had a problem with the AC at the other resorts-- Value, Moderate or Deluxe. Just POP! This is very concerning! Like I said I hope they will change it! It really gets humid and hot and stuffy! My daughter who wants the air on 80 at home was complaining-- soooooooo I know it was not just me!! Also, I talked to some other guests while waiting at the bus stop and they were not happy about it either-- Ummmm BUT the heat works well!!! :goodnevil

I think if they were going to do this they would have, at least , put in the ceiling fans to help out a little.

As one poster said: YES!! It does goes off at night as no one is moving and that IS REALLY BAD! I sure hope that they will change this!! If you hear anything please let us know ! :D

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom