Pop Century Mystery Building

eeaton71

Original Poster
Does anyone know the history or story of Pop Century? The reason I ask is because I stayed there for a couple of days on my recent trip and I was curious about a couple of the buildings that surround it. First there is the rust colored building that was built with the same construction as the hotel. Then there is the building out back that looks like a convention hall or something. It seemed to me that Pop Century was once something else that they converted to a hotel. My guess is that this was an old build that housed the college students during their internship or something? Does anyone know the real story? (I did get pictures of these building that I will try to post)

schro513

I'm guessing the buildings you refer to are part of the expansion of the resort that was never completed. PC was slated to be twice the size it is at present....

DroPZ0nE25

I'm guessing the buildings you refer to are part of the expansion of the resort that was never completed. PC was slated to be twice the size it is at present....

I agree with you on that one. My parents always ask me what those buildings are and I always have to remind them that they are the expansion or what was the expansion of the pop century

Fun2BFree

Yeah, those abandoned buildings were the ill-fated 00s-40s section of Pop. The "convention hall" you refer to is probably the main building, i.e. the hotel foyer. Before Pop was there, I can assume the land was like most unbuilt land at WDW, forest. :wave:

slappy magoo

I believe it was at 9/11. There was a delcine in attendance and they decided to hold off expanding.

That's it. And now, supposedly, they're waiting to see how successful the All-Star Suites will be before going back to finish those buildings. They could wind up being predominately or entirely Value Suites.

JWG

That's just creepy. Staying at Pop and being able to see that would drive me nuts. It just doesn't fit the image you expect from Disney. If they weren't going to complete (which I understand) you'd think they could at least try to do something to the view. I wonder how long those buildings can sit before the cost of re-starting construction makes starting over a better idea.

Champion

That's just creepy. Staying at Pop and being able to see that would drive me nuts. It just doesn't fit the image you expect from Disney. If they weren't going to complete (which I understand) you'd think they could at least try to do something to the view. I wonder how long those buildings can sit before the cost of re-starting construction makes starting over a better idea.

Its kind of hard to hide multistory buildings from all angles.

They won't be waiting much longer before construction resumes.

DisneyChik17

They do have a lot of plants that have gotten pretty tall over the years blocking some of it. The person who did the video obviously went throught the plants and over the fence. It's not that visible, except when you drive up.

hrcollectibles

Its kind of hard to hide multistory buildings from all angles.

They won't be waiting much longer before construction resumes.

They could use Disney magic and Place large tarps on them and paint them so they look finsihed (like what they did in China or Japan.. Whiche ever one is being refirbished.

shanny

thats sad. i havent stayed there, but if i had to choose a value resort that would be the one. i would have ended up exploring over there too. hope it doesnt end up being one of these "urban ruins" places, like the old abandoned hospitals and such...

Champion

thats sad. i havent stayed there, but if i had to choose a value resort that would be the one. i would have ended up exploring over there too. hope it doesnt end up being one of these "urban ruins" places, like the old abandoned hospitals and such...

It won't.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom