Pop Century Ghost Town - Why did construction Stop?

Feta

peter11435 said:
The Imagineers are not stuck. The plans for the resort were completed a long time ago. Remember the 1960's buildings in Classic years are not themed to the Vietnam War and the civil rights movement. Every decade even the 30's and 40's had pop culture. Music, movies, inventions, games, toys and gadgets exist for all decades. Think about Steamboat Willy for the 20's and a giant Dumbo for the 1940's. I can tell you that the concept art for the 1930's includes a giant Monopoly board and that the 1940's has a huge Tonka truck. Also included in the resort are lifesavers and crayola crayons. The 1920's pool is shaped like the coke contour glass bottle.

Concept Art

Those features sound really great. I was just trying to get a chuckle anyway. Sometimes these boards get way too serious.

Woody13

Feta said:
Those features sound really great. I was just trying to get a chuckle anyway. Sometimes these boards get way too serious.
And I liked it, "...big fiber glass stock brokers jumping from the balconies." :lol:

maelstrom said:
It would be nice if they could create rooms at a value resort (the remaining bits of Pop) that can accomodate five people.

I've heard this one a few other boards as well - value suites. Anyone know if there is anything to this or are we just dreamin'? I'm sure it wasn't part of the original plan, but they might have re-evaluated needs and trends since then.

Craig

TURKEY

I'm hearing rumblings of something happening...removing some walls between some of the rooms to make a larger room for families.

JLW11Hi

Well, I suppose the 1900s would be somewhat like Main Street USA...not in terms of the look of the buildings, but the sorts of things you might find there. Horse drawn carriges, etc. Antiques and things, like old cameras, toys, clothes, etc. Then for the rest of these early years, you'd probably see old cars, like a Model T Ford. Probably some old radios for the 1930s, Swing and jazz for 1940s perhaps.

Figment1986

I thought those 2 buildings completed were for the "great Depression" :lol: Sorry.. just a bad joke i remember hearing from some people when i stayed at the resort 2 months ago...

Eventually they will complete the buildings.. (and they have the roads finnished somewhat...)

Debbie

TURKEY said:
I'm hearing rumblings of something happening...removing some walls between some of the rooms to make a larger room for families.

That would be so wise of Disney to do. When we traveled with the three boys; someone would get the sleeping bag. It's not that we needed a larger room; just an extra bed. And with so many blended families these days; the two child standard doesn't always apply.

wdwjmp239

ntn_haqqer said:
Florida Resident discounts....

And I wanted to move back to NY? What the hell was I thinking? :hammer: :hammer:

Nevermind this reply to my own post. I had to put something up so my number of posts wouldn't be "666".

At 667.... Hi-Ho-Hi-Ho, It's Off To Work I Go ;)

"J"

:D :wave:

Woody13

ntn_haqqer said:
Nevermind this reply to my own post. I had to put something up so my number of posts wouldn't be "666".

At 667.... Hi-Ho-Hi-Ho, It's Off To Work I Go ;)

"J"

:D :wave:
Revelation! 666 is not the number of the beast (it's a devilish 616)
By Tom Anderson

01 May 2005

A newly discovered fragment of the oldest surviving copy of the New Testament indicates that, as far as the Antichrist goes, theologians, scholars, heavy metal groups, and television evangelists have got the wrong number. Instead of 666, it's actually the far less ominous 616.

:wave:

Ziggie

Woody13 said:
Revelation! 666 is not the number of the beast (it's a devilish 616)
By Tom Anderson

01 May 2005

A newly discovered fragment of the oldest surviving copy of the New Testament indicates that, as far as the Antichrist goes, theologians, scholars, heavy metal groups, and television evangelists have got the wrong number. Instead of 666, it's actually the far less ominous 616.

:wave:

Learn something weird ... er new, everyday :lol:

MiklCraw4d

Suites

DisneyFans! said:
I've heard this one a few other boards as well - value suites. Anyone know if there is anything to this or are we just dreamin'? I'm sure it wasn't part of the original plan, but they might have re-evaluated needs and trends since then.

Amen! This is really something Disney needs to tackle sooner rather than later. I'm really surprised they've let themselves be shut out of this booming market. That very nice Holiday Inn Suites (or whatever they call it now) is sitting right on the edge of property s__________g away guests. I've stayed there a few times myself when going as part of a larger family group and I must say it's a very, very good deal.

Of course, we're all used to paying that premium to stay on property, but when you can get three nice rooms for much cheaper than one at WDW it does kinda make you think...

I think this is something Disney is going to have to seriously consider soon to keep up with the competition. Of course, I wish they'd build suites somewhere other than Pop Century, which to me is a blight on the landscape and an aesthetic nightmare...

speck76

MiklCraw4d said:
Amen! This is really something Disney needs to tackle sooner rather than later. I'm really surprised they've let themselves be shut out of this booming market. That very nice Holiday Inn Suites (or whatever they call it now) is sitting right on the edge of property s__________g away guests. I've stayed there a few times myself when going as part of a larger family group and I must say it's a very, very good deal.

Of course, we're all used to paying that premium to stay on property, but when you can get three nice rooms for much cheaper than one at WDW it does kinda make you think...

I think this is something Disney is going to have to seriously consider soon to keep up with the competition. Of course, I wish they'd build suites somewhere other than Pop Century, which to me is a blight on the landscape and an aesthetic nightmare...

The cost per occupied room can be considerably higher, esp if such a room would be in the value catagory...... I have no idea what the union contract looks like for the housekeepers, but typically 1 suite = 2 rooms to a housekeeper.......= twice as many housekeepers.......= much more expense.

The market is really not strong enough yet to support additional rooms in Orlando.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
I think Disney has plenty of resorts - with lots more people using Magical Express, the parking lots were much emptier than i'm used to seeing them, but the parks had good-sized crowds.

lamarvenoy

Leaving those buildings 1/2 done and delaying the opening over a year for phase 1 shows just how severly the market changed in post 9/11 travel. Think for a second what the world might have been like had we not suffered those losses.Remember when the economy was good and traveling on an airplane didn't involve taking off your shoes and guys in camo holding machine guns? Can you even remember? Now, imagine if it was a nuke or two they got instead of a few passenger airplanes,what would the world be like now?The world would have been better off if the CIA turned Bin Laden into a grease spot back in the 90's.But we'll never know what might have been its just reminders like a half done hotel,left vacant beacause of a lack of guests.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom