Ponchos at the World

WDWNooby

Original Poster
I noticed in someone's trip report rain ponchos that had Mickey Mouse on the back of them. Do all of the ponchos at the world have these imprinted on them? Are these ponchos hard to get while in the world or does Disney keep a good stock since they are use to the rain spurts during the day? I have already stocked up with "plain" ponchos but was curious as to what is on site while there. They might make a nice little keep sake.

AshaNeOmah

When the rain begins there are ponchos available at basically every retain location. As far as I am aware every 'cheap' poncho sold in the world is the standard Mickey Mouse design. I believe they are $3-5 each but it has been a few years since I purchased one. Someone here will have a better price quote on them with all the rain last week. These are moderately overpriced but Disney could gouge you a lot worse if you get caught in a central Florida flash storm with no weather protection at all. Don't expect to re use them too many times though as they are not very durable. I usually destroy mine throughout the course of a day in the park.

EDIT: My price quote is probably waaayyy off. Ignore it.

EDIT2: $8 as of 8/2008. http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/996776/10_tips_for_enjoying_walt_disney_world.html?cat=16

Also, Disney will replace any torn poncho apparently... http://www.mousesavers.com/timeismoney.html

hpyhnt 1000

You can get the ponchos at just about any retail store once it starts raining. We were in the UK once when it started to rain and it was amazing how quickly they pulled them out from behind the register. :lol:

Just an FYI, based on what I saw Saturday, it looks like the newest line of ponchos are clear and feature the castle in the sky Disney Parks logo and not Mickey Mouse. Just giving you a heads up.

So instead of this:
1715781490_76a188c269.jpg

You'll probably end up getting this:
3103909920_c1807a0def.jpg

lighteningqueen

Last year they sold them at the entrances and throughout the park. They are not that cheap. I was so glad we brought our own. It would have been about 60.00 for all 5 of us to buy them there We bought them at Acadamy for some nice heavy ones. Meaning they didn't rip when you sat on them. And in bright colors as well so we could find our own party of people.

WDWNooby

Original Poster
I plan on buying one just for a keepsake...my DGD will be thrilled to hear that they have castles on them. I have purchased several "cheap" ones that we will be taking but wanted to make sure she gets one for a momento. Thanks so much!

krankenstein

You can get the ponchos at just about any retail store once it starts raining. We were in the UK once when it started to rain and it was amazing how quickly they pulled them out from behind the register. :lol:

Just an FYI, based on what I saw Saturday, it looks like the newest line of ponchos are clear and feature the castle in the sky Disney Parks logo and not Mickey Mouse. Just giving you a heads up.

So instead of this:
1715781490_76a188c269.jpg

You'll probably end up getting this:
3103909920_c1807a0def.jpg

Actually, the newest ones have both Mickey and the castle logo on the back. I saw PLENTY of them all last week. :lol:

krankenstein

Oh did they? I did not see those over in Japan. :veryconfu

Yeah, it had Mickey doing the typical little pose with the Disney Parks castle logo beside him. Underneath Mickey and the logo, they had the park locations listed (Anaheim, Orlando, Tokyo, Paris, Hong Kong).

We saw plenty as well. They do replace them if they tear. We had one tear at the neck and no questions it was replaced. Adult is $8 and child is $6. They also sell umbrellas. The are decent and are $10. Between all of us in our group, we ended up with three umbrellas and 3 ponchos to go home with. The umbrellas have the same castle logo on them, but we also got one with the castle AND Mickey on it.
(the ponchos and umbrellas are behind the counter or they lay them up on the counter when it rains, you have to ask for them)

Larry Mondello

We saw poncho's from every theme park in the Southeast there last week. So rather than pay $8 we went over to Target and bought a better quality one for $2.79. On the back we wrote "GENERIC NO PARTICULAR THEME PARK PONCHO"

Mad Stitch

Does anyone else think they are too small? The only time I purchased one I had to purposely tear mine to fit my head through the hole. I wonder if I was given a child’s poncho by accident.

I miss the sea of yellow ponchos. :cry:

abug'saunt

DH and I just packed our yellow panchos from our 2003 trip. We have used them a couple of times and they have lasted surprisingly well. :ROFLOL: May have to get a new one for DN as she is not coming this trip but would get a kick out of it. Might have to get an umbrella too I think.

Hi

All Disney Stores at the parks for sure have them at each register. The newest ones have a castle on them. We had to buy them on our last trip 2 weeks ago. We kept them for the future. It's always a good thing to have. I think they cost $6.00 each. :)

westie

IMO its a toss up. Either get wet or sweat your brains out inside a poncho. Its amazing how much heat is held in those things and, for some reason, rainy days bring out the humidity. So, get wet by rain or by sweat, you choose?:shrug:

KingStefan

IMO its a toss up. Either get wet or sweat your brains out inside a poncho. Its amazing how much heat is held in those things and, for some reason, rainy days bring out the humidity. So, get wet by rain or by sweat, you choose?:shrug:

I agree with you, but it really depends on what time of year you are there. It can get quite cold if you get wet in the winter. In the summer, however, I think that on a warm day, just getting a bit wet is the better solution.

One time when we were there, we got caught in a cloudburst before we could get our ponchos out, so we were already wet. We spent the rest of the day putting our ponchos ON when we went inside an attreaction, because the air conditioning was too cold when we were soaked, and taking them OFF when we went outside (even though it was still drizzling) because it was too hot.:lol:

RiversideBunny

The ponchos at WDW used to be yellow with a picture of Mickey on the back.
You could not see through them.
So, as soon as it started raining there was a sea of yellow ponchos and, since they all looked alike, people started losing track of each other and their kids.

:)

Beccone

We went through so many ponchos last August during Tropical Storm Fay. The ones we purchased from the parks seemed to rip quite easily so after my 13 yr old went through 2 in one day, on our next day we stopped in Walmart and picked up one for everyone. The adult female ones were pink with the Princess's on the back and the kids ones were yellow with Mickey. I think I ended up just getting plain orange ones for my dh and ds. Anyway they were about half the price of the ones in the park and they lasted longer, my mil even kept hers for our upcoming trip. I was so sick of the rain by the time we left I couldn't bear to look at another poncho so I tossed ours :(

bluefaery

I have never bought a poncha at WDW. I opted to get the umbrella. Mine is black and has Mickey on it although you don't see Mickey until you open the umbrella. I got it back in 2007 (I think). I keep my umbrella in my closet in it's little black sleeve.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom