Polynesian Resort.....The final nail in the coffin ?

Kamikaze

Wait people actually like Spirit of Aloha? That thing suuuuucks.
Thats the worst thing about Disney fandom. People think the removal of literally any thing is 'the end' or 'the worst' or whatever. It can be any change, big or small, and you'll find people that say they'll never go again because of it.

Which is cool in that even the smallest details have their fans, but it detracts when the fanbase is trying to stop a large change that everyone hates, it doesn't mean anything because every single little change has an uproar too.

fgmnt

Unless some of perks and membership extras are important to you, I would definitely go resale. We bought in almost 15 years ago, and it was the best decision for us. All of ours are direct, but when we go to add on, it will be via resale in the future.
Buying resale also gets you in on a shorter term. Try it out for 5 or so years, and if you really want to, buy studio level or whatever it's called as an original owner.

That being said, all of the prices and practices of the company along with rising maintenance fees might keep you out of wanting an original lease. We bought in to Beach Club and imo, are getting better value than almost any other DVC property in Florida, and I wouldn't be surprised if we sell in a couple years and cede what, the last third of the lease? I can't remember.

I think it's crazy to not add DVC to the Polynesian. It's equally crazy to think that Bob isn't going to make it as unappealing as possible in service of the $.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Buying resale also gets you in on a shorter term. Try it out for 5 or so years, and if you really want to, buy studio level or whatever it's called as an original owner.

That being said, all of the prices and practices of the company along with rising maintenance fees might keep you out of wanting an original lease. We bought in to Beach Club and imo, are getting better value than almost any other DVC property in Florida, and I wouldn't be surprised if we sell in a couple years and cede what, the last third of the lease? I can't remember.

I think it's crazy to not add DVC to the Polynesian. It's equally crazy to think that Bob isn't going to make it as unappealing as possible in service of the $.
Beach Club before and after. I think people who complain about the updates they're doing at resorts across the board are nuts.

disney-beachclub-room.jpg
BCRV580711.jpg

"Actually we like stuffy and dated."
- Disney fans

LuvtheGoof

DVC Guru
Premium Member
Umm, not sure where you are getting this from. Whether you buy direct or resale, you are good until the expiration date of that resort. There is also no such thing as buying "studio level".
The DVC contract end date for BCV is Jan 31, 2042. Depending on when you bought in, you could easily make more than you paid for it initially.
Ummm, 3 of the longhouses are already DVC. If they want to add more DVC to the Poly, it would be a lot cheaper to just change over a few more of the longhouses, rather than build a whole new tower. That way, the number of guests would be similar to now, and not overwhelm the staff.

fgmnt

Beach Club before and after. I think people who complain about the updates they're doing at resorts across the board are nuts.

View attachment 585439View attachment 585440

"Actually we like stuffy and dated."
- Disney fans
Oh trust me, I'm not knocking the soft goods in rooms at all. That's one of the weirdest complaints I see on the boards. I think the value proposition for our family is diminishing for a lot of reasons, but I would not say we hate updates to the units. We personally have never had a problem with a DVC unit I can remember, whereas we have had deluxe rooms with problems at WL and GF.

fgmnt

Umm, not sure where you are getting this from. Whether you buy direct or resale, you are good until the expiration date of that resort. There is also no such thing as buying "studio level".

The DVC contract end date for BCV is Jan 31, 2042. Depending on when you bought in, you could easily make more than you paid for it initially.

Ummm, 3 of the longhouses are already DVC. If they want to add more DVC to the Poly, it would be a lot cheaper to just change over a few more of the longhouses, rather than build a whole new tower. That way, the number of guests would be similar to now, and not overwhelm the staff.
On the first point, I was saying that by buying resale, you would get a shorter lease term than buying at the original level, and when I meant studio level, I was implying you go on for a contract with the smallest number of points (I believe it's 150?). On the third point, the thread is about adding inventory to the Polynesian by replacing Luau Cove with rooms, no?

LuvtheGoof

DVC Guru
Premium Member
On the first point, I was saying that by buying resale, you would get a shorter lease term than buying at the original level, and when I meant studio level, I was implying you go on for a contract with the smallest number of points (I believe it's 150?). On the third point, the thread is about adding inventory to the Polynesian by replacing Luau Cove with rooms, no?
True, buying resale could result in a shorter overall contract term, but my impression from your statement is that you can still buy at the original level. That, of course, is not true.
Yes, it's about adding rooms by replacing Luau Cove, but I was merely making the observation that it would be a lot cheaper to simply change over more longhouses, rather than build a brand new building. They can still let Luau Cove there to rot like they did River Country.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
The only thing that infuriates me about this is the decorative, rather than functional "quilt". (And this holds for any resort/hotel that goes this route.)
I think even that little runner is gone now. My understanding is that this was a cleanliness decision rather than a design choice. The white bedding can be cleaned more often and more thoroughly (i.e. bleached) than the colored bedspreads.

LuvtheGoof

DVC Guru
Premium Member
I think even that little runner is gone now. My understanding is that this was a cleanliness decision rather than a design choice. The white bedding can be cleaned more often and more thoroughly (i.e. bleached) than the colored bedspreads.
True. The germaphobes were loudly complaining about the bedspread when it was reported that it wasn't being washed in between guests. So Disney's answer was to remove them. People need to be careful what they complain about with Disney, because in a lot of cases, something will simply go away.

orion54

True. The germaphobes were loudly complaining about the bedspread when it was reported that it wasn't being washed in between guests. So Disney's answer was to remove them. People need to be careful what they complain about with Disney, because in a lot of cases, something will simply go away.
So true.

ImperfectPixie

Then give us white comforters that can be washed with the sheets. It's really annoying having to ask for extra blankets with EVERY resort/hotel stay.

orion54

Then give us white comforters that can be washed with the sheets. It's really annoying having to ask for extra blankets with EVERY resort/hotel stay.
You'll get that option with the new rollout of Be Our Guest+. Paying $10/person per day will get your choice of 2 extra soft goods per stay. You can have a comforter and a pillow or 2 comforters, the choices are endless with Be Our Guest+. :p

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Wait what? Are you serious?

Triple sheeting is the industry standard. You're not going to find "comforters" at many hotels these days.

I'd also wager that the ratio of people complaining that they're *too cold* in a Disney hotel versus *too hot* would be something like 1-to-100.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
You'll get that option with the new rollout of Be Our Guest+. Paying $10/person per day will get your choice of 2 extra soft goods per stay. You can have a comforter and a pillow or 2 comforters, the choices are endless with Be Our Guest+. :p

Is that in addition to Disney Room+? That’s the new offering where you can choose what type of bed and bedding you get. Regular Disney Room only gets you a thin mattress and a sheet. Room+ allows you the choice between a mattress and a pillow or a pillow and a blanket. Only $49.99/person per night.

ImperfectPixie

Wait what? Are you serious?

Triple sheeting is the industry standard. You're not going to find "comforters" at many hotels these days.

I'd also wager that the ratio of people complaining that they're *too cold* in a Disney hotel versus *too hot* would be something like 1-to-100.
I made sure to say *all* hotels/resorts to indicate that I'm aware it's the standard.

My husband prefers the room to be very cool...pretty sure we aren't the only couple that have different temperature preferences. I can put on blankets...he can only remove so many clothes.

Disstevefan1

This " Rumor " Is from my close friend who is employed as a DVC sales Castmember. The scuttlebutt is
that the Poly Luau is permanent history and the area that Luau cove sits in and the surrounding area
is to be the site of a new DVC tower. Can't say this, if confirmed , would be good news. Not to mention
the fact that it would overwhelm the property. Hoping he is wrong. Any thoughts ???
Well we know they stopped the Luau because it was not making “enough” money.
DCV would make TRUCKLOADS more money in the same space.

I believe the rumor…

OceanBlue

If this is built hopefully they will add DVC/tower amenities to go with this, such as another pool in ADDITION to the existing infrastructure vs a replacement. They will obviously have a top of a tower restaurant that hopefully does not outshine or replace ohana.
This is honker
Well we know they stopped the Luau because it was not making “enough” money.
DCV would make TRUCKLOADS more money in the same space.

I believe the rumor…
How do we know it wasn’t making enough money? Did it stop before covid? When I was there in 2019 it looked pretty much sold out for our seating.

Disstevefan1

This is honker

How do we know it wasn’t making enough money? Did it stop before covid? When I was there in 2019 it looked pretty much sold out for our seating.
I saw a report someplace I think, it was literally reported the Luau is not returning because it was not profitable enough. Fake News?

Communicora

Premium Member
I made sure to say *all* hotels/resorts to indicate that I'm aware it's the standard.

My husband prefers the room to be very cool...pretty sure we aren't the only couple that have different temperature preferences. I can put on blankets...he can only remove so many clothes.
Yes and fluffy beds feel more luxurious. Comforters can easily be washed. They just don't want the expense.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom