Polynesian Resort.....The final nail in the coffin ?

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
An addition in this area wouldn’t surprise me.

The infrastructure for Luau Cove is pretty old. The only things it's got going for it are all the years since it first opened so that the trees and foliage have grown in. When I first went there for the first time (1972 with my grandparents who traveled a lot and expected way more than what was offered... they loved Don Ho in Waikiki ) it was still pretty bare-bones, the complementary Blue Hawaiian was served out of a punch bowl on a folding table which was swarmed by bees. The stage and even better the roof didn't come along for years, but when you look at the roofline from the monorail, you can see the rot.

ryguy

If there thinking a 14 story tower than I don't think so, but I could live with something along the lines of Kindani buildings. 4 or 5 floors of 1 and 2 bedrooms villas. That being said the hotel is already packed with non hotel guests so this could really be the final dagger. Its already a shell of its former self.

GimpYancIent

If there thinking a 14 story tower than I don't think so, but I could live with something along the lines of Kindani buildings. 4 or 5 floors of 1 and 2 bedrooms villas. That being said the hotel is already packed with non hotel guests so this could really be the final dagger. Its already a shell of its former self.
I am sure there will be some cheap attempt at theming. Yeah, a tower would still be another tower.

castlecake2.0

That’s my fear. I think they learned with riviera people expect more (I feel like riviera would have been a great off site DVC resort somewhere if they were still doing that where it wouldn’t be constantly compared to other WDW hotels) so I’m not scared about lack of theming here, it’s more about adding more guests to a place that is already a zoo most of the time

Mickey5150

I could see Disney keeping the great ceremonial hall and turning the rest into towers similar to Aulani. Thats the only way towers could work is if the long houses are gone.

homerdance

View attachment 584950View attachment 584950
I feel like this area would give them more room to work with, replacing the cast member break area and one of the long houses with a tower
If this is built hopefully they will add DVC/tower amenities to go with this, such as another pool in ADDITION to the existing infrastructure vs a replacement. They will obviously have a top of a tower restaurant that hopefully does not outshine or replace ohana.

castlecake2.0

If more DVC is added, I’d expect the Riviera treatment. What incentive do they have to do more/better?
From what I gather they’re having trouble selling Riviera. I think the resort is beautiful, but not themed enough to be at WDW. I think/hope they’ve learned their lesson and won’t go the cheap looking route again. Saying that if you really look at the poly at it’s base all it really is are modular buildings with some good set dressings and landscaping. I bet if Disney built this today people would cry cheap lol.

JoeCamel

If this is built hopefully they will add DVC/tower amenities to go with this, such as another pool in ADDITION to the existing infrastructure vs a replacement. They will obviously have a top of a tower restaurant that hopefully does not outshine or replace ohana.
Rainforest Cafe in the sky with fireworks viewing?

Mr. Moderate

They raise rack rates to drive more people into DVC.

The call is coming from inside the house.
Exactly and this is what got me 15 years ago when the salesman sold me on buying into DVC. One of his lines was telling us about the rack rates of the resorts are going up yearly and is why it's a wise decision to buy now and have pre paid lodging for many Disney vacations to come. Looking back, they're like glorified car salesmen that sell expensive Disney time shares instead over priced SUV's. 😁

deWild

Exactly and this is what got me 15 years ago when the salesman sold me on buying into DVC. One of his lines was telling us about the rack rates of the resorts are going up yearly and is why it's a wise decision to buy now and have pre paid lodging for many Disney vacations to come. Looking back, they're like glorified car salesmen that sell expensive Disney time shares instead over priced SUV's. 😁
Sorry, but to confirm would you recommend buying into DVC or no? Currently looking at options with fiancé.

orion54

Sorry, but to confirm would you recommend buying into DVC or no? Currently looking at options with fiancé.
One thing about Disney, once they raise prices, they never go back down. They might stay the same or the thing might disappear. DVC won't disappear and neither will the resorts.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Unless some of perks and membership extras are important to you, I would definitely go resale. We bought in almost 15 years ago, and it was the best decision for us. All of ours are direct, but when we go to add on, it will be via resale in the future.

orion54

Unless some of perks and membership extras are important to you, I would definitely go resale. We bought in almost 15 years ago, and it was the best decision for us. All of ours are direct, but when we go to add on, it will be via resale in the future.
With the new APs, buying DVC direct didn't get much love either. We'll see if they continue Moonloight Magic or any other things for buying DVC direct.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom