Polynesian Resort.....The final nail in the coffin ?

Disstevefan1

How you enjoy it is part of the value. If you still enjoy it, no matter the cost, than that is what it is worth to you or anyone else that feels the same way. If anyone felt it was no longer worth the money they would not be getting what they are paying for and therefore would no longer find sufficient joy in the expense. The enjoyment part can only be measured by yourself, there is no sliding scale to look at. The real measure that you have is since you mentioned "other vacation destinations", if you HAD to chose Disney or "the other" which one would you pick. That is what determines the worth for you specifically.
We for sure must use different parts of our brain. The part of our brain that is in charge of paying the bills is not the part of our brain that is enjoying riding dumbo or paying an extra $20 dollars to get on the mine train.

I agree “value” could be an abstract concept and is different for everyone. If one has enough disposable income, it means something very different, “here’s my money, I just want X, I don’t care the cost.

SpaceMountain77

A little Sunshine Bird once told me that the Tangaroa Terrace building would be razed and a DVC tower constructed on its site. The longhouse would be comparable in size to Pago Pago, but taller than the existing longhouses. This would keep the 50-year leasehold condominiums clustered on the same side of the resort.

Regarding a timeline, Wil Lovato does a phenomenal job tracking direct DVC sales on the DVCNews website. In his last report, Wil noted that based on current sales and projections, it would take 56 months, or until March 2026, before Disney's Riviera Resort would be completely sold out.

DVC has stopped selling points at the Villas at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa. In the coming months, with the conversion of Big Pine Key and its addition to the existing leasehold condominium association, Disney will begin to market and sell points at VGF. It is my understanding that sales have been paused to avoid member and potential member outrage. VGF was selling for $255 per point and when new points are added to the inventory for sale at a lower, promotional price, DVC wants to avoid as many dissatisfied calls as possible.

It is worth noting that Aulani has yet to sellout and the Disneyland Hotel DVC Tower is still expected to open in 2023. With four active properties, shovels will not be going into the ground soon at Disney's Polynesian Village.

Last edited:

fgmnt

I think it would be exceedingly odd to potentially build even a 4 story structure over there, but you could build a 6 story tower over at Luau Cove and it wouldn't be as bizarre.

Mentioning TT had me thinking, surely they would have to add some services if they were to add more inventory to the resort, right? An additional restaurant option would be surely and sorely needed, and potentially another pool.

correcaminos

I would not recommend buying DVC now. It used to be a good value, it no longer is. If you want to stay in DVC accommodations, rent points. You get a nicer place to stay with no commitment. Let someone else be stuck with the multiple year mortgage and lifetime maintenance fees.
Agreed 100% spoken as a 17 year owner with contracts at PVB too.

mysto

A little Sunshine Bird once told me that the Tangaroa Terrace building would be razed and a DVC tower constructed on its site.

Huh. I would expect them to follow their usual pattern and plop it in the lagoon in front of the bungalows. Steal the view and sell it again since the bungalows are already sold. I can't imagine they just didn't think of this genius idea! They're super clever right!?

Mr. Moderate

Sorry, but to confirm would you recommend buying into DVC or no? Currently looking at options with fiancé.
I'm sorry I didn't see your question to me sooner. Honestly, I wouldn't buy into it unless you have a burning desire to do so and deep pockets as well. The costs are much higher now than when I bought in, the yearly dues are getting more expensive and show no signs of getting cheaper. I was doing the monthly option of paying the dues to make it easier and spending about $230 dollars a month and it adds up after a while. Disney got rid of a lot of the perks over a period of time during the years of my ownership and the rates went up too. Part of me misses the ease of getting a nice villa and it being prepaid for, the rest of me doesn't miss all the other things that made it become unattractive for us.

Since you appear to be a young couple and not married yet, I wouldn't jump into it yet. I would just rent points and dip your toes in the water to see if you would like to tied down to a contract.

Also, please don't finance a DVC contract as some have and you don't want to get stuck in that quagmire either. I hope I was able to help.

chriskbrown

The question is can they build a tower on that land. a bunch of the land in front of the Contemporary that sits vacant by the bus terminal cannot hold buildings.

deWild

I'm sorry I didn't see your question to me sooner. Honestly, I wouldn't buy into it unless you have a burning desire to do so and deep pockets as well. The costs are much higher now than when I bought in, the yearly dues are getting more expensive and show no signs of getting cheaper. I was doing the monthly option of paying the dues to make it easier and spending about $230 dollars a month and it adds up after a while. Disney got rid of a lot of the perks over a period of time during the years of my ownership and the rates went up too. Part of me misses the ease of getting a nice villa and it being prepaid for, the rest of me doesn't miss all the other things that made it become unattractive for us.

Since you appear to be a young couple and not married yet, I wouldn't jump into it yet. I would just rent points and dip your toes in the water to see if you would like to tied down to a contract.

Also, please don't finance a DVC contract as some have and you don't want to get stuck in that quagmire either. I hope I was able to help.
Thank you! I appreciate your insight. I’ll message you outside the thread if you don’t mind - had some more questions regarding DVC. I don’t want the thread to get too off-topic hahah.

Goofyernmost

We for sure must use different parts of our brain. The part of our brain that is in charge of paying the bills is not the part of our brain that is enjoying riding dumbo or paying an extra $20 dollars to get on the mine train.

I agree “value” could be an abstract concept and is different for everyone. If one has enough disposable income, it means something very different, “here’s my money, I just want X, I don’t care the cost.
I'm sorry, I guess I didn't make it clear. I was telling that person that everyone see's things differently. They aren't concerned because to them it is still worth it. Many of us, myself included, no longer can separate the cost from the enjoyment. If they can, more power to them. I and, it appears, you cannot justify it anymore. That is OK also. So, I guess we are in agreement.

SteveAZee

Premium Member
As for my "personal economic perspective" while I am not rich, I am by no means poor either and I do have the $$ to spend on a WDW vacation but I am not going to fool myself into thinking there is value there compared to other vacation destinations, but all logic aside, I still want to be there..

I will maintain that you can't spreadsheet your WDW vacation and show there is value for the dollar there. The NEED for a WDW vacation goes beyond the spreadsheet; its emotional, NOT logical.

Disney knows this.....
There are tons of ways to optimize a trip there, though... and I do use a spreadsheet to do it. ;)

homerdance

Sorry, but to confirm would you recommend buying into DVC or no? Currently looking at options with fiancé.
Buying into DVC is fun. Your get your card, a few perks and feel like you “own” the magic. That’s all the stuff the sales people will tell you, and they have a very easy job.

But the reality is, after you buy, you realize a few things.
1) It’s a timeshare. If this year has proven anything it’s that Disney doesn’t guarantee anything.
2) they claim deluxe accommodations, but that is very weak. Toilet paper that can be seen through, the cheapest possible paper plates in the studios, and amenities that are hit and miss. (8 pm pool closing? No food at the resort after 10? Beds?)
3) You get nothing special from the parks, which honestly is why most people by DVC. This Genie BS, park reservations, and understaffing is being blamed on the pandemic but is a result of management squeezing every. Ent out of your pocket.
4) it’s hard to get the “good” rooms. You look at the point charts and think hey, the time I go now is only 100 points for the week, but realize that most of those cheap rooms are booked well in advance and are hard to come by
5) waiting over an hour to discuss your contract is the new normal. The wait times are still way to long. (Disney laid off so many employees and are making excuses as to why they can’t hire new)
6) new resort restrictions (RR) make its resale value less.

As someone else has mentioned, never finance a timeshare.

You are best of renting points until Disney figures it out.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Do not buy directly from Disney. Buy resale, and buy at Saratoga Springs (or Aulani or Animal Kingdom or Old Key West 2057 if you can find it).

Do not buy, even resale, unless you have the cash. Do not finance.

Do not buy until after you're married. Real estate transactions with a person other than your spouse are a legal PITA.

Vegas Disney Fan

I know people will still buy into DVC. I looked into it seriously about 5-7 years ago, but we didn't have the disposable income at the time.

Now that we *could* pay for DVC, the price hikes and reduced perks (sound familiar?) are no longer worth the value to me.

I was looking at DVC last year and found a ten year old spreadsheet on my computer from the last time I calculated the pros and cons of a Wilderness Lodge DVC, it was $11,000 for a weeks worth of points for a one bedroom. At the time I couldn’t afford it, now that I can afford it it’s closer to $23,000 for the same amount of points and I can’t justify it.

RollerCoaster

Yes, that is the credible rumor. Sad! The Luau and show are integral to the Poly ambiance.
Yes, and serve to remind guests that luau's are just outright terrible. It's a good reason to keep it. There has never been a luau that I have enjoyed. Entertainment perhaps, but the food is only worthy for the next pig that's in line to be roasted.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom