Polynesian Refurb

ChrisM

Make sure you do the MK view. I could sit on the balcony all night with that view. Very cool getting up around 4 am to use bathroom and seeing castle still lit up and changing colors.

I actually prefer the Bay Lake view. In fact, the Bay Lake view from a reasonably high floor in BLT might be one of the best views from any room in the entire resort.

Tom

Beta Return
Balls! I'm going to be staying at the poly during the first and second weeks of January! Is this going to negatively affect my stay? Should I be considering a resort switch?

To give you a serious answer - no. The construction schedule has them doing one complete building at a time. So they won't be remodeling rooms next to, or above/below your room while you're there. They'll probably just put up a wall around the building being worked on and that'll be it. Well, and the huge staging area in the parking lot for materials.

Now, if you were hoping for a specific building, and put in a request, the liklihood of that will change if you requested a building that will be closed while you're there. Tikiman or I could help you know if that's the case.

RSoxNo1

Asbestos adds flavor, but itchy lungs. Drywall dust makes for a very parched mouth.

Now that I think about it, it sounds like Tonga Toast already has both those ingredients in it, based on the one and only time I tried it!
How dare you, Tonga Toast is fantastic. I remember hearing a travel agent complaining about it saying, "it tastes like a bag of doughnuts." Call me crazy, but that sounds awesome.

Tom

Beta Return
How dare you, Tonga Toast is fantastic. I remember hearing a travel agent complaining about it saying, "it tastes like a bag of doughnuts." Call me crazy, but that sounds awesome.

Maybe we got a bad one. It took a chainsaw to cut through the crust, and then the inside was SOOOO dry. And this was first thing in the morning, so it's not like it had been sitting out. Disney didn't have enough maple syrup on property for me to eat more than a bite or two.

If that's not the standard, then perhaps I'll try again some day. But if that's how it comes, I'm good.

Disneykidder

Hmmm...i'm wondering if it may be DVC but isn't it odd that they would start construction on another DVC when they aren't even near to finishing the GF DVC? Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE for the Poly to become a DVC. Maybe they are just going to do a refurb and change one area into a DVC? I'm just thinking out loud. ;)

asianway

Hmmm...i'm wondering if it may be DVC but isn't it odd that they would start construction on another DVC when they aren't even near to finishing the GF DVC? Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE for the Poly to become a DVC. Maybe they are just going to do a refurb and change one area into a DVC? I'm just thinking out loud. ;)
Im guessing they plan on GF selling out FAST?

Disneykidder

Well, two years later and BLT is still selling. It's 95% sold out but still offering. Price per point is high so I can only imagine what the price point will be for GF and then Poly!! :eek:

hollywoodj

Maybe we got a bad one. It took a chainsaw to cut through the crust, and then the inside was SOOOO dry. And this was first thing in the morning, so it's not like it had been sitting out. Disney didn't have enough maple syrup on property for me to eat more than a bite or two.

If that's not the standard, then perhaps I'll try again some day. But if that's how it comes, I'm good.

That's how mine was too. No thanks! Way overrated.

PirateFrank

Now, if you were hoping for a specific building, and put in a request, the liklihood of that will change if you requested a building that will be closed while you're there. Tikiman or I could help you know if that's the case.

Actually, we were hoping for Rapa Nui. We're there Jan 6-13. Any chance Rapa Nui is destined for work in early January?

Tom

Beta Return

Scroll up a bit. This work has absolutely nothing...I repeat, nothing...to do with DVC. Current plans call for none of the existing longhouses to become DVC. This is only a refurb of the existing resort rooms.

If they add DVC to the Poly - which likely wouldn't even happen until GF starts selling out - it will be new buildings. Can't guess more specific than that though.

mickey2008.1

POLY is awesome, and needs its major update. Especially hot tubs. Rooms are huge, but need some freshness, brightening like Aulani. Cant wait for the new updated POLY. Hallways need redone, as well as the stairways. We love the place, and will be booking for December 2014 !! Come on TDO, surprise us for once! Thanks Tikiman for the info. Any pics of the test rooms?

tikiman

No photos of the test rooms and very little description. They are trying to keep these rooms a big secret. Even CMs at the resort don’t usually know they exist and those that do and try to see inside them are having a hard time. I will try when I am there in a few weeks but I am not too hopefull I will get a peek at the new rooms the way I did the last design in 2005.
DVC should start around the end of 2013 or into 2014 from what I hear. It will affect some existing structures and add some new ones. Also you can expect to see some existing rooms change when all the phases are done.
I have a feeling the new rooms will look a little like the room design they put into the suites last October. You can see some of those photos on my Tonga page if you go to the Honeymoon suite page http://www.tikimanpages.com/tiki/quick-longhouses/quick-tonga?start=1
I have more loaded on my Facebook page for my site. I still need to load the rest but I am in the middle of a redesign to my site so my time has been limited.
Corey P, Disney hotels are AAA rated. In February 2007 the Polynesian became a 4 Diamond rated resort after all its improvements.
As far as age of structures, 288 of the Polynesian rooms are only 3 years older than the Grand Floridian.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom