Polynesian Refurb

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Premium Member
This is one of those resorts on my "some day" list. I stayed there once when I was young (1989) and I remember thinking it was so beautiful. Outside of passing it on the monorail and eating at Ohana, I've not had a chance to be there again. Maybe I'll plan to surprise the family with a 2014 stay after this room refurbishment... I hope to have a big raise or win the lottery by then. LOL!! :D
Staying at the Poly is also on my bucket list.
I'm only 45, so I guess I can afford to wait until after the refurb now.
For this year, I will have to content myself with dinner at 'Ohana and Kona and a breakfast at Kona.

Polydweller

The Poly upgdates its rooms fairly regularly as most hotels do. Furnishings take a beating and will only last so long. The current rooms are showing the wear and tear so it is time. This updating has been known for some time so not a shock at all.

Beuford

On Tikiman's site, he posted all guest rooms will go through a complete overhaul including bathroom and hallways. He posted it two days ago so I guess that's what the permits are for.

Polydweller

On Tikiman's site, he posted all guest rooms will go through a complete overhaul including bathroom and hallways. He posted it two days ago so I guess that's what the permits are for.
That is what they are for. The rooms will be refreshed with everything from new carpets to furniture and apparently upgrades of bathrooms to double sinks everywhere. Refreshes always involve some form of demolition, ie remival of what's there, and that requires permits.

Tom

Beta Return
The documents we have are over 200 pages. When @edwardtc sees this, I'm sure he'll be able to comment a bit more.

You rang.....

Before anyone jumps to conclusions, this has absolutely NOTHING to do with anything DVC. Zip. Zero. Nada. This is a straight-up mass refurb of the existing Poly rooms.

The blueprints for this project are gigantic. The architectural set alone is 136 sheets. Every single room is being refurbished, with some leftover asbestos being abated from hallways and areas that weren't taken care of the last time. The only rooms being left alone are in Tonga, because its suites were refurbed a while back...but its Club Lounge is finally getting an overhaul - as is the main one in Hawaii.

The rooms are essentially being stripped bare with new carpet, wallcoverings, some new furniture and fixtures, with some just being cleaned and repaired. Best of all, they're completely rearranging the restrooms by making most of them bigger (not into the bedroom, but by making some pipe chases on the hallway side smaller) so that the toilet will be back in a little alcove (in many....some won't be) and they'll have 2 sinks at the vanity, which will now be on the wall adjacent to the bedroom in most rooms, with the tub on the hallway side. There are a few bathroom configurations, but that's due to the inability to get rid of some of those chases and closets in the hallway. Plus, some are still ADA.

Speaking of ADA, they're adding a handful of accessible rooms in various buildings, including Hawaii.

As noted in the permit, the GCH is not a part of this project. It's a completely separate deal that Tikiman can tell you all about. Again, this is just a giant, resort-wide room refurb, similar to what they just did at Riverside. It will be phased (there's an extremely detailed schedule) so that only a chunk of rooms are out of commission at a time.

They'll actually be working 3 overlapping shifts to get the work done at lightning speed. Poly is obviously the most popular resort (by most arguments), so having rooms out of commission is a bad thing. But this refurb will be a really good thing!

Tikimans news confirmed

Tikiman is never wrong :p

Just realized that there was a permit files back in February for Room Rehabs for buildings 8 and 11 for this same contractor. Anyone know if this work was ever done?

Building 8, 11 - Room Rehab
Those could have been the test rooms that have been in place for a bit now.

Indeed - those were the mock-ups.

I thought he talked about it a while back. Evidence has been floating around for a few months, but he was probably waiting until it was rock solid that they were going to move forward with it.

wiigirl

I'm glad I'm staying at the POLY finally. I just can't believe it! 9 more days! It's been so very hectic in my life these past few days, so I am looking forward to relaxing and enjoying good old Mickey Mouse!:D

Love the POLY.....hope you have a wonderful time.
75.gif

tikiman

Tom is right. These permits have nothing to do with the first phase of DVC. That will be separate and may even be a different company doing the work. The test rooms when into Rapa Nui and Rarotonga back in February (2 rooms in each building). That to me was odd because they usually do 2 total test rooms but it maybe they were trying out different configurations in one of the newer and larger rooms in Rapa Nui and the original rooms in Rarotonga.
This is normal in the cycle of getting a new room design. Even before the redesign in 2005-2007 they had completely redone the rooms in 1996-1998 with a complete gutting of the rooms in 2002 so if anyone thinks anything is left from even the 80’s they are mistaken.
What is not normal is that the rooms are scheduled to finish by next July but unless they start this month as planned I am guessing that will be pushed out. I have never seen them do this much work in less than 3 years in past redesigns. It will be amazing if they do finish within 2013 but if they work hard and efficient I think they can do it.
My guess is they want it done and onto working on the GCH and the first phase of DVC. I am hoping to see work going on when I am there in a few weeks. At some point this year they will be starting the addition of the hot tub to the Volcano pool, replacing the kids wet play area and there is some info about a huge change to the pool also that I don’t know anymore about at this point. There will be additional water areas with the addition of DVC but I will have to wait on telling anymore about that for now.

As far as affecting Tangaroa Terrace and the Luau I think you will soon see the last of those structures.

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
This is one of those resorts on my "some day" list. I stayed there once when I was young (1989) and I remember thinking it was so beautiful. Outside of passing it on the monorail and eating at Ohana, I've not had a chance to be there again. Maybe I'll plan to surprise the family with a 2014 stay after this room refurbishment... I hope to have a big raise or win the lottery by then. LOL!! :D

You too? ;)

This was always a "someday" resort for me.
We got a sweet - a$$ discount a couple of years ago and we were able to swing this.
The family was always on me as to why I loved i sooo much.
After they stayed there...they TOTALLY understood - it did NOT dissapoint.
Glad to see the Poly getting some love although I'm sad to hear about some of the rumored changes to the lobby\GCH.

Next on the bucket list...the Contemporaray.

tikiman

You too? ;)

This was always a "someday" resort for me.
We got a sweet - a$$ discount a couple of years ago and we were able to swing this.
The family was always on me as to why I loved i sooo much.
After they stayed there...they TOTALLY understood - it did NOT dissapoint.
Glad to see the Poly getting some love although I'm sad to hear about some of the rumored changes to the lobby\GCH.

Next on the bucket list...the Contemporaray.

I visit the Contemporary on every trip. The end of this month will be my first time staying at the Contemporary.

PirateFrank

Balls! I'm going to be staying at the poly during the first and second weeks of January! Is this going to negatively affect my stay? Should I be considering a resort switch?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom