Polynesian Refurb

ExtinctJenn

This is one of those resorts on my "some day" list. I stayed there once when I was young (1989) and I remember thinking it was so beautiful. Outside of passing it on the monorail and eating at Ohana, I've not had a chance to be there again. Maybe I'll plan to surprise the family with a 2014 stay after this room refurbishment... I hope to have a big raise or win the lottery by then. LOL!! :D

RSoxNo1

Permit filed today for "Room Rehab" for almost all of the buildings in the Polynessian, epxiration date of 12/31/2013 so it's a pretty big project.

Interesting permit today for "Room Rehab" on almost all of the Polynesian buildings. Expiration date of so it's a pretty big project. Contractor is Friedrich Watkins.

http://or.occompt.com/recorder/eagl....pdf?id=DOC1014S53985.A0&parent=DOC1014S53985
This is an absolutely huge project. It looks like they're refurbishing every building at the Poly.

ExtinctJenn

Because all I can do is assume that the furnishings are not the same as they were in 1989, for those that have been there recently, do you feel the rooms are in need of a freshening up or is this a shock?

Mike730

Because all I can do is assume that the furnishings are not the same as they were in 1989, for those that have been there recently, do you feel the rooms are in need of a freshening up or is this a shock?
Not too surprising. There was an earlier thread where a future Poly refurb was discussed.
We knew it was going to be big, and that it might be in preparation of a future DVC, but we didn't know exactly how BIG. And the WDWFanboys tipped us off vvvvv

RSoxNo1

I posted a quick updated on this in July:
http://www.wdwfanboys.com/blog/polynesian-resort-room-renovation/
Disney is still planning a major refurbishment to the Polynesian Resort. With construction expected to begin before the end of the year, it is anticipated that every room will be renovated. It looks like this will be done piecemeal but it will certainly be an accelerated process all things considered. Look for more updates as they become available.

ExtinctJenn

Would a permit only have to be filed if there was physical construction going on or would simply replacing the furnishings and doing things like painting or retiling etc. require a permit? (I'm just starting to follow these permit things so sorry for the dumb questions lol)

wdwfan22

The rooms were last updated in 2005-2006 so it is indeed time for a room update. They more than likely will go with a theme similar to Aulani's style of rooms. The bathrooms are also rumored to receive double sinks in all rooms.

bdearl41

This is huge news!!! Hopefully they really improve on the rooms. Without a doubt on trip advisor this resort more than any other recieves bad review after bad review due to the condition of the rooms. This is fantastic news. I have always like the Polynesian but avoided it due to all the bad pub. Hopefully this will change things.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Would a permit only have to be filed if there was physical construction going on or would simply replacing the furnishings and doing things like painting or retiling etc. require a permit? (I'm just starting to follow these permit things so sorry for the dumb questions lol)

Just replacing furniture, probably not, but there are often permits for painting and other cosmetic changes.

BTW, sorry for the sloppy original post I typed it up quickly as I was running out the door. Cleaned up now!

rkelly42

Poly rooms are definetly in need of a refurb, glad to see it is happening. As for a DVC there, please no. I know there is a lot of interest for it, and brings in disney money, but call me selfish, I would like to see the money spent elsewhere right now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom