Polynesian or Contemporary?

captainkidd

Here we go again. Have to decide today which to book for next July. We've stayed at the Poly 4 times and we LOVE it. Enough said. However, my wife has always wanted to stay at the Contemporary. I on the other hand, have no desire to stay there, other than the fact that it's someplace we haven't stayed yet. It always appears too business like for me, which is the exact opposite of the Poly. If we stay at the Contemporary, we'll get a Tower Room facing the MK. Is the hotel a good choice with young kids in terms of atmosphere and activities? How is the pool? Room service? Will I be horribly disappointed knowing that the Poly is just 2 monorail stops away and I'm not there, without the lovely hammocks to relax on at the beach?

Thanks!

Crush Dude!

Back from WDW!Counting down to DLP in November!
Here we go again. Have to decide today which to book for next July. We've stayed at the Poly 4 times and we LOVE it. Enough said. However, my wife has always wanted to stay at the Contemporary. I on the other hand, have no desire to stay there, other than the fact that it's someplace we haven't stayed yet. It always appears too business like for me, which is the exact opposite of the Poly. If we stay at the Contemporary, we'll get a Tower Room facing the MK. Is the hotel a good choice with young kids in terms of atmosphere and activities? How is the pool? Room service? Will I be horribly disappointed knowing that the Poly is just 2 monorail stops away and I'm not there, without the lovely hammocks to relax on at the beach?

Thanks!

Polynesian Polynesian Polynesian :D

But to smooth things over how about spending the first weekend at Contemporary and then you should know for the future :wave:

Upvote 0

Disneyfalcon

I'd vote Contemporary! I do love the Poly but I give the Contemporary the slight edge. If you're talking MK view, then I give the Contemporary a huge edge!!

I think the pool is great. I love the new decor, it feels very luxurious without being stuffy to me.

As far as atmosphere - opening the door to your room and seeing Mickey and friends having fun right below you is the perfect atmosphere for me! :)

Upvote 0

AKidat50

I'd go for Contemporary

I should preface this with the fact that I have never stayed at the Polynesian, but I loved the Contemporary. Stayed MK view, Concierge level a couple of years ago. Loved the view, loved the pool, the whole place.
Just back from a short trip where we stayed at the Grand Floridian. I loved it too, but with the monorail problems of late, I would go for the Contemporary. You can walk to the Magic Kingdom, which would be preferable to not being able to get to or from the MK when you want to !!!

Upvote 0

tikiman

Whats so great about the Polynesian???:rolleyes:

I say stay at the Contemporary. We split our stay every visit with another resort just to see what they are like. You can read reviews and tribute websites but you don't really know until you try it and like you said you are two stops away on the monorail to visit the Polynesian.

Upvote 0

MaryJaneP

Be careful. Some of these "votes" may be attempts to steer you away from their favorite resort. Really! Someone with Tiki in their name not choosing Poly. Come on, I'm all for good sarcastic fun. I only hope all readers can discern the tongue-in-cheek "enthusiasm".

Upvote 0

tikiman

Be careful. Some of these "votes" may be attempts to steer you away from their favorite resort. Really! Someone with Tiki in their name not choosing Poly. Come on, I'm all for good sarcastic fun. I only hope all readers can discern the tongue-in-cheek "enthusiasm".

My first statment was sarcastic but my advise to try new resorts was not.
I think people that know me know the last thing I do is steer people away from the Polyensian

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Original Poster
I think I've been to the Contemporary so many times, I don't need to stay there to know it's not my cup of tea. I find the lobby uncomfortable. I don't think any of the lounges can hold a candle to the Tambu Lounge. And though most seem to rave about the rooms, they're boring looking to me.

Upvote 0

twinnstar

I think it depends on whats most important to you. For me, I like to go to breakfast at the Poly, and stay at Contemporary - I can walk to MK!

For you though - The first time I went to Contemporary, I was a kid - and honestly I was kinda bummed we didnt stay at Poly again!! It is very "hotel" like, and the atmosphere is just not there, but for adults, I think its just way more convenient. If you are concerned about the kids, I'd stay at Poly again. OR better yet, why not try Wilderness Lodge? I know its not on the Monorail, but its JUST as easy to hop on the boat to MK - 5 mins - and then you have the Monorail right there! Its a really nice resort, my new favorite (and for the record, my old favorite was Poly! :)

Upvote 0

EvilQueen-T

if you book monorail loop resorts based on use of the monorail make sure you know the new policy. it might make you lean more toward the contemporary over the poly. don't know what your priorities for picking a resort are so i thought i'd throw that in there.

Upvote 0

coachwnh

In the Parks
Yes
have stayed at both and i have to say, nothing beats the ability to walk to MK!! the only way you get that is staying at the contemp. the feel is far from business like. we stayed there most recently for our kids bdays in Feb. they loved it too!! i vote Contemporary!! doesnt matter what side either. the MK view was great last summer, but the sunrise over bay lake each morning in feb was spectacular! maybe we'll see you there in july!!

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Original Poster
if you book monorail loop resorts based on use of the monorail make sure you know the new policy. it might make you lean more toward the contemporary over the poly. don't know what your priorities for picking a resort are so i thought i'd throw that in there.

What new policy? Is this the no monorail during EMH? How is that being handled? Boat or bus? Will the ferry still be operating?

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Original Poster
I think it depends on whats most important to you. For me, I like to go to breakfast at the Poly, and stay at Contemporary - I can walk to MK!

For you though - The first time I went to Contemporary, I was a kid - and honestly I was kinda bummed we didnt stay at Poly again!! It is very "hotel" like, and the atmosphere is just not there, but for adults, I think its just way more convenient. If you are concerned about the kids, I'd stay at Poly again. OR better yet, why not try Wilderness Lodge? I know its not on the Monorail, but its JUST as easy to hop on the boat to MK - 5 mins - and then you have the Monorail right there! Its a really nice resort, my new favorite (and for the record, my old favorite was Poly! :)

Wilderness Lodge only allows 4 to a room. We're 5. But yes, WL is awesome!

Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

My vote is for the Contemporary, but I can also say that the decor has never felt business like to me since my first strong memory of WDW as a child was taking the monorail through that hotel. It's hard to describe it, but staying there just felt like I was at WDW. We really enjoyed being able to walk to and from MK. It also didn't feel like as much of a hike as walking from some the more remote areas at the Poly. Our kids seemed to enjoy the pool and splash pad area, there always seemed to be a lot of activities on the schedule for the day, and they kept begging to go play on the beach (just not enough time). I have no idea about room service, but as for EMH monorail service...that was probably the only real frustration. I know we walked back to CR on the night when we had evening EMH at MK. Then again- the walk to the resort was probably a bit easier than pushing a double stroller with kids and stuff up the monorail ramp. The night we had EMH at Epcot- they had crude signs leading monorail resort guests to bus stops- really poorly marked and communicated in general. The Poly and GF shared a covered bus stop and CR shared a bus with the TTC. The problems with the CR/TTC bus wait area- 1) it wasn't covered 2) there were no ropes or poles to help people form a line, so there was high potential for cutting and 3) there were WAAAAY more people on that bus going to the TTC (only about 10 - if that- got off at CR). Considering there were only 4 people waiting to go to the Poly and GF yet there were at least 50-60 waiting to go to the CR and TTC, it felt like CR should have been sharing a bus with the other monorail resorts. Considering this was mid August, I would hope they have this ironed out by the time you go in July.

I'd still stay at the CR, but the whole EMH thing does bother me since you pay a premium to stay at those 3 and no EMH monorail service makes us less likely to fork over the extra $. That being said- DD5 and DH want to stay at the Poly next trip- so I guess no CR next time for me. :(

Upvote 0

SeaCastle

I vote to try something new. I personally liked the Poly better, but the Contemporary does have some nice elements to it. Being able to walk to the Magic Kingdom, for example, is a great plus that we took advantage of a half-dozen times on our trip. If you're planning on spending the majority of your time at the MK, stay at the Contemporary.

The rooms are nicely decorated, and is nowhere near as "stuffy" as one would imagine. The pool area is very nice and features two hot tubs, which suffice to say is a very welcome feature you won't find at the Poly. The play-pool area is a boon for young kids as well (I had fun with it, and I'm nowhere near the target audience!) Above all, nothing beats stepping out onto your balcony and seeing the whole of the Magic Kingdom open up for you. And as others here have pointed out, the Poly is two stops away. I stopped there twice to visit and walk around the resort.

If you're staying at the Contemporary, be sure to bring up dessert from the Contempo Cafe, and sit on your balcony and watch Wishes. It's the best view you can get, especially because the Resort TV channel pipes in the fireworks music.

Upvote 0
While I haven't spent a night in the Contemporary I have to say Poly all the way. We traveled with another family that was in the Contemporary while we were at the Poly, it just wasn't the same. They mentioned multiple times that they enjoyed coming over to the Poly because it felt more 'vacationy'

We've done trips where we split the hotel as well, you may want to consider this. We had the same dilemma about POR and Caribbean Beach. We split 4 days at each. Disney was more then happy to accommodate this for us.

Upvote 0

Scuttle

Try something new! We were impressed with the Contemporary. We've stayed at the Poly twice and the Contemporary once. The poly is my favorite resort, but me and my girlfriend both say our trip to the contemporary was a better trip than both the times at the Poly. The rooms IMO are the best on property and if you get a MK view forget it. I've always wanted to stay in the main tower and will eventually. The monorail is probably a 2 minute walk from your room if your in the main tower. Try it. You can always just go grab a drink at the Poly if your missing it.

Upvote 0

Spike-in-Berlin

My first statment was sarcastic but my advise to try new resorts was not.
I think people that know me know the last thing I do is steer people away from the Polyensian

Exactly, your entire magnificent fansite is just one big advertising for the Poly, they should actually put you on their payroll for this.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom