Polynesian Lobby Smell

captainkidd

Anyone have an update on the status? Supposedly, they were installing new air fresheners in all of the lobbies. Is the old smell still there or is it gone?

captainkidd

Original Poster
That stinks because that is one of the few things that I remember from my stays as a child back in the 70"s. I also remember a distinct smell in the hallways of the longhouses I wonder if that is gone too. So what does it smell like now?

It's a new air-freshener scent piped in. Very generic.

Upvote 0

Beuford

Was there last week. Im not saying the smell in the GCH is bad, but it is not the same. I tried with all my might to sniff the old scent close to the water falls, but the only thing there is a faint hint, possibly a memory, of what it was. The new scent is nice and clean, basically a mild version of the beach club, but I can't stand it!:hurl: I so missed that scent, nearly brought me to tears:cry: I will start to complain of allergies too, hope it works!:ROFLOL:

Upvote 0

Mick G.

We were at the Poly for lunch 2 weeks ago, and as we walked in the front doors of the GCH, one of the CMs at the check-in said Aloha or something, and asked if we needed anything. Really nice guy. I asked about the aroma, and he agreed, said he had been away for awhile, and when he returned to work it just didn't seem like the same place. So the Cast has noticed too.

Lunch at Kona didn't live up the expectations either.

I do recall from somewhere that the sense of smell is closely linked to memory. That's why this stuff matters. With each passing year, it seems that more and more of the WDW that I remember gets changed, and it's gradually becoming just another place.

Mick

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Original Poster
We were at the Poly for lunch 2 weeks ago, and as we walked in the front doors of the GCH, one of the CMs at the check-in said Aloha or something, and asked if we needed anything. Really nice guy. I asked about the aroma, and he agreed, said he had been away for awhile, and when he returned to work it just didn't seem like the same place. So the Cast has noticed too.

Lunch at Kona didn't live up the expectations either.

I do recall from somewhere that the sense of smell is closely linked to memory. That's why this stuff matters. With each passing year, it seems that more and more of the WDW that I remember gets changed, and it's gradually becoming just another place.

Mick

I agree. Well put.

Thank goodness they haven't done this to the Wilderness Lodge.

It amazes me how little Disney truly knows about it's hard-core fan base.

Upvote 0

Main Street USA

"Flavorscents" was, at one point...if not still, the company that WDW uses for the scents that they pump into the lobbies and (some) attractions. It's the same company they used for the orange scent in Horizons, too.

I contacted them quite a while ago and they most certainly have first hand knowledge of what scents are used where, but at that point they only sold in larger bulk quantities, which cost hundreds of dollars at minimum.

Upvote 0

sweetpee_1993

"Flavorscents" was, at one point...if not still, the company that WDW uses for the scents that they pump into the lobbies and (some) attractions. It's the same company they used for the orange scent in Horizons, too.

I contacted them quite a while ago and they most certainly have first hand knowledge of what scents are used where, but at that point they only sold in larger bulk quantities, which cost hundreds of dollars at minimum.

If y'all could organize yourselves you could pool your resources and buy the scent in bulk so everyone could have it. Or, 1 person make the initial investment and upcharge to make a few bucks from each person buying from then. It'd be a neat way to make some money to put towards the next trip, right? :wave:

Upvote 0

Donald96

Hahahaha:) I love this thread! The Polynesian does have an awesome smell to it and I love it! I've heard that scent is the sense that triggers your memory the most too, Disney must clearly know this and use smells that will bring their parks and resorts too your mind! Very smart marketing if ya ask me:) :sohappy:

Upvote 0

Main Street USA

If y'all could organize yourselves you could pool your resources and buy the scent in bulk so everyone could have it. Or, 1 person make the initial investment and upcharge to make a few bucks from each person buying from then. It'd be a neat way to make some money to put towards the next trip, right? :wave:
The guys that ran the "Mesa Verde Times" blog (this was the blog about the two guys that continually jumped out of their vehicles on Horizons back in the day, and even went so far as to spend hours underneath different parts of the scenes...incredible) did just that awhile back. They bought a huge barrel of the Horizons "L'orange" scent and poured into little spray bottles, then sold it on eBay for like $10 a bottle. Worked out ok for them. Believe it or not, they seemed to have trouble getting rid of them. Not enough people knew that they were doing it, is my guess.

I love the Beach Club/Yacht Club lobby scent and would love it for my house. I called down and talked to a rep a year or so ago, and she was willing to help me out. They generally deal with businesses, but if you have the money to buy in bulk up front I seriously doubt they care.

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

The guys that ran the "Mesa Verde Times" blog (this was the blog about the two guys that continually jumped out of their vehicles on Horizons back in the day, and even went so far as to spend hours underneath different parts of the scenes...incredible) did just that awhile back. They bought a huge barrel of the Horizons "L'orange" scent and poured into little spray bottles, then sold it on eBay for like $10 a bottle. Worked out ok for them. Believe it or not, they seemed to have trouble getting rid of them. Not enough people knew that they were doing it, is my guess.

I love the Beach Club/Yacht Club lobby scent and would love it for my house. I called down and talked to a rep a year or so ago, and she was willing to help me out. They generally deal with businesses, but if you have the money to buy in bulk up front I seriously doubt they care.

I'm guessing the price was pretty high considering how much you would have to order.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Original Poster
Hahahaha:) I love this thread! The Polynesian does have an awesome smell to it and I love it! I've heard that scent is the sense that triggers your memory the most too, Disney must clearly know this and use smells that will bring their parks and resorts too your mind! Very smart marketing if ya ask me:) :sohappy:

This new strategy of theirs backfired. I cancelled my reservation at the Poly. Granted, it seems pretty obvious that I'm allergic to the new scent they're pumping in. However, to me, the Polynesian lost a lot of it's charm to me when I was there a couple weeks ago.

It is absolutely true. Sense of smell is very powerful, and it certainly most triggers things in your memory. If you don't like one, you won't want to be around it.

Upvote 0

jmargarone27

I am very sorry to say that upon entering the Polynesian on Friday night for Ohana, I noticed a big difference in the smell. It smells nice and fresh, but it's not what we seasoned Disney travelers are used to. It's kinda sad, I must say...

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Original Poster
I am very sorry to say that upon entering the Polynesian on Friday night for Ohana, I noticed a big difference in the smell. It smells nice and fresh, but it's not what we seasoned Disney travelers are used to. It's kinda sad, I must say...

I don't even think it's all that nice. It's too strong of a scent, and it's completely not natural.

Upvote 0

Scuttle

I can confirm this as well. I was there last week and it is different. :cry:

Upvote 0

worldtraveler

Well, I am ready to book an 8 night stay there for November, will probably still stay here because of the great location, but I am now very bummed over this tragic news. Maybe by then, the smell will have changed back....can hope can't I?

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

Well, I am ready to book an 8 night stay there for November, will probably still stay here because of the great location, but I am now very bummed over this tragic news. Maybe by then, the smell will have changed back....can hope can't I?

The GCH did have a distinct smell that many people liked. However, let's put this in perspective...it was a smell. If someone's desire to stay at the resort was so dependent on that scent, then they probably shouldn't have been staying there to begin with.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Original Poster
The GCH did have a distinct smell that many people liked. However, let's put this in perspective...it was a smell. If someone's desire to stay at the resort was so dependent on that scent, then they probably shouldn't have been staying there to begin with.

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it, but it's a scientific fact that our senses guide us and tell us what we like and don't like. If you had a favorite restaurant and all of a sudden the dish you always ordered tasted like crap, would you keep going there? Granted, the scent of the lobby isn't the most important thing in the world, but it added a charm and brought great memories and fondness to many. Without it, much of the appeal is lost. Disney isn't about the big things they do well, it's the little things.

What means nothing to one person, means everything to the next.

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it, but it's a scientific fact that our senses guide us and tell us what we like and don't like. If you had a favorite restaurant and all of a sudden the dish you always ordered tasted like crap, would you keep going there?

Granted, the scent of the lobby isn't the most important thing in the world, but it added a charm and brought great memories and fondness to many. Without it, much of the appeal is lost. Disney isn't about the big things they do well, it's the little things.

I'm not saying that it isn't an aspect you might of enjoyed. However, if you are spending the big bucks that it costs stay at the Polynesian, the smell shouldn't be the determining factor I think. Your comparison to a restaurant is a bit different because they are getting rid of something key that belongs to that location. If they knocked down the monorail, then I would probably understand why someone might decide to not return to the resort.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom