POLL: Which do you prefer? Upsells or layoffs

Which do you prefer?

• Upsells. It doesn't bother me because I don't have to buy them.

Votes: 34 79.1%
  • Layoffs. Parks should layoff workers instead offering optional upsells that I don't have to buy.

Votes: 9 20.9%

• Total voters

Siren

Original Poster
Its not a binary question.
Yes, it is.

per wiki -
Commerce is the activity of buying and selling of goods and services, especially on a large scale. The system includes legal, economic, political, social, cultural and technological systems that are in operation in any country or internationally. Thus, commerce is a system or an environment that affects the business prospects of economies. It can also be defined as a component of business which includes all activities, functions involved in transferring goods from producers to consumers.

It really is that simple -- buying and selling. Disney sells and we have an option to buy. So, for people to balk at the concept of Disney selling things is just kind of bizarre to me.

Isn't the issue with Sea World tanking (no pun intended) attendance though? Ever since the Blackfish documentary, people (well, some people) seem to have developed a moral objection to supporting the chain (especially the Sea World parks) which I believe has resulted in a pretty dramatic drop in attendance for the chain. For most amusement parks, there is an ideal ratio guests to employees and if guest numbers are down by 5-10% (I'm not sure of the actual numbers), it would only make sense to reduce staffing by similar amounts. According to their FAQ page (https://seaworld.org/en/animal-info/ask-shamu/faq/), in 2012 they employed more than 21,000 people across all of their properties. A loss of 300 people would be just ~1.5% of their 2012 employment levels which doesn't seem that unreasonable given the slumping attendance. While it's never fun to see companies downsize, it doesn't make sense keeping people on the payroll if they don't have enough business to warrant the extra help.

Disney (and many other parks for that matter) are simply trying to get more dollars for every guest that enters the park and that's why these up-charges have become so popular at amusement parks across the country (Disney is just late to the game).

Florida is close to approaching 100 million tourists a year -- of which, (almost 70 million) visited Orlando.

The themepark industry is booming. Orlando, in particular is seeing billions of dollars being invested in the themeparks, as well as the city.

At this point, Sea World's issues have very little to do with Blackfish. They have had more than enough time to bounce back from that.

Look at all of the unfortunate events and news that occurred at Disney over this past year alone and it has not hurt them. Sea World can no longer blame Blackfish for their issues.

Bocabear

but Disney is not in the position that Sea World is in... so the question of Upcharge or layoff is not really necessary. I don't have a problem with upcharge premium offerings until they become the standard fare you used to get with your admission that they now want to upcharge for.

rael ramone

The funds necessary to supply premium service, via a sufficient sized workforce that is sufficiently compensated so they will provide such premium service is worked into the price of everything you pay for in the swamps, and it was true when so much of the offerings cost half as much...

Jon81uk

Yes, it is.

No its a sliding scale. You don't have to say buy this $100 event or we fire that guy.

It can be, if we get 2000 more people in the park tomorrow we will need an extra member of staff so we can open another cashier at the burger shop. Then if next week we get another 2000 people maybe we need a few extra staff as this seems to be happening more often. Then a few months later if guest numbers drop again it might be that they decide to run the coaster on one train operation, so they need one less member of staff.

csmat99

At this point, Sea World's issues have very little to do with Blackfish. They have had more than enough time to bounce back from that.
You couldn't be more wrong. Blackfish crippled Sea World and what made it worse was how badly Sea World PR screwed up with their initial responses for that first year. They thought it was going to blow over. And most of the layoffs are about getting rid of redundant positions.

bhg469

You couldn't be more wrong. Blackfish crippled Sea World and what made it worse was how badly Sea World PR screwed up with their initial responses for that first year. They thought it was going to blow over. And most of the layoffs are about getting rid of redundant positions.
This^^ 100%
Blackfish painted them in the worst light possible and they suffered for it. Their reaction to is was really pretty terrible and were in a reactionary state ever since. The damage has been done and they need to cut back in order to survive..

Disney World is in no danger of trouble. They're exploring options for new opportunities for profitability... These are apples to oranges comparisons.

CDavid

Sea World just announced yesterday that they are laying off hundreds of workers to save only $40 Million dollars. http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/tourism/os-seaworld-layoffs-20161206-story.html
600x338

Ironic, given that Sea World just opened a brand new state of the art roller coaster called Mako and announced plans for another new attraction. Everyone talks about wanting "new rides" but there is more to theme parks than just rides.

I always see people praising Sea World and claiming that it is a better value -- but, the park is dying.

And, all the experts say this is so bizarre because all of the other theme parks are booming right now.

Also, Universal has filed a patent to use drones and Magic Bands called Tapu Tapu bands at Volcano Bay. http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/...l-seeks-to-use-drones-in-shows-wearables.html

There are many people who claim to know so much about business and constantly criticize Disney's business practices but really don't know anything. And, this is the proof.

The themepark industry is booming. Orlando, in particular is seeing billions of dollars being invested in the themeparks, as well as the city.

Look at all of the unfortunate events and news that occurred at Disney over this past year alone and it has not hurt them..

The entire premise of this poll is mistaken as it proceeds from a series of false assumptions.

First, and by your own admission (above), Disney is not seeing the decline in attendance which Sea World has experienced. There is no call for layoffs; This isn't an either/or proposition. The issues with attendance at Walt Disney World are isolated and almost completely of the company's own making, specifically closing much of a theme park combined with ever higher prices.

Second, there is absolutely no evidence or reason to believe all the "upsells" and added charges are anything but a money grab. Greed is at wok here; An attempt to make the financial numbers look better than they really are. Fundamentally, it is little different than selling off land or closing attractions so the executives can look good (as opposed to the buffoons they may appear to be). Disney wants its guests to spend more money, that's no secret. They aren't doing these things to protect Cast Member jobs or to avoid "sticking it" to the "regular" guests.

Finally, exactly how is it that you think this "proves" anything with regard to (completely justified and objectively argued) criticism of Walt Disney World's business practices? The company (often) honestly appears to not understand the business it is engaged in, the needs and wants of its customers, or respect for its history and legacy which has created present success and which should point the way to the future. Seriously bone-headed or just misguided business decisions don't require a degree to understand; They're plainly visible to a blind man, wearing a blindfold, at midnight in a dark, windowless room with no lights.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
"Layoffs. Disney should layoff workers instead offering optional upsells that I don't have to buy."

Really? I don't want to be bothered with an opt-in upsell so vote to lay off workers instead. I'm glad you don't work in WDW management.
Well, not management....

Siren

Original Poster
No its a sliding scale. You don't have to say buy this $100 event or we fire that guy.

It can be, if we get 2000 more people in the park tomorrow we will need an extra member of staff so we can open another cashier at the burger shop. Then if next week we get another 2000 people maybe we need a few extra staff as this seems to be happening more often. Then a few months later if guest numbers drop again it might be that they decide to run the coaster on one train operation, so they need one less member of staff.
I totally agree. Likewise, you don't have to say, "lets fire hundreds of workers because attendance is down."

Disney World's attendance has decreased slightly, yet profits have skyrocketed. People spend more when the parks are less crowded because they are having a better experience overall. So, Sea World losing attendance does not have to result in a loss of profits or having to lay off hundreds of workers.

01010100011010000110100101110011001000000111000001101111011011000110110000100000
01101001011100110010000001110000011011110110100101101110011101000110110001100101

That is binary !
Okay so -- b(0), s(1) = buysellbuysellsellsellsellbuy....

The only difference I can see between Sea World and Disney is that Disney is not afraid to take risks. Disney is constantly creating new experiences and technology to pry every last cent out of their customers hand and they are not too good to grovel for it.

csmat99

The only difference I can see between Sea World and Disney is that Disney is not afraid to take risks. Disney is constantly creating new experiences and technology to pry every last cent out of their customers hand and they are not too good to grovel for it.

OMG - the only difference? Disney's market capitalization at roughly $150 billion Sea world is roughly around 1.6 billion. Disney parks get roughly 138 millions visitors a year and growing Sea world parks 22 million and stagnant. The reason why we talk about universal and Disney is because universal is owned by Comcast which is playing on the same street as Disney. They are at the adult table. Sea World isn't even invited for dinner.

Jon81uk

I totally agree. Likewise, you don't have to say, "lets fire hundreds of workers because attendance is down."

Disney World's attendance has decreased slightly, yet profits have skyrocketed. People spend more when the parks are less crowded because they are having a better experience overall. So, Sea World losing attendance does not have to result in a loss of profits or having to lay off hundreds of workers.

They aren't just firing hundreds of people, Its 320 positions across all parks and corporate headquarters, including the elimation of vacant positions. So some of the decision making could just be based around the fact they don't need to recruit as many people to work in ticket booths as people are buying tickets online.

Its quite possible that one of the reasons DisneyWorld's margins are up is that they have also eliminated some vacant roles and are recruiting fewer people. One of the easiest ways to protect profits is to avoid recruitment of staff you don't need.

Jon81uk

Yet in your first post you mentioned SeaWorld have opened new rides recently, surely building the tallest coaster in Orlando is a risk and a new experiance for visitors to Florida?

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Disney's profit is increasing because they are spreading out the loss from that attendance over all the remaining visitors by way of higher costs. That only works to a point, if you loose to much attendance you will not be able to make it up that way.

21stamps

I love SeaWorld. I agree with this post though, Blackfish has crippled them, and it's not going away anytime soon. We have an entire army of SJWs now who could care less about the truth of the company, but will jump on the latest PETA or social media led bandwagon.

Those people won't go, and they won't take their children to visit, sadly there's a lot of them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom