POLL: Should Disney bring back Princess Jasmine's original costume and ban contact with guests?

Should Disney bring back Princess Jasmine's original costume and ban physical contact with guests?

• Yes. Bring back Princess Jasmine's original costume and ban contact w/guests.

Votes: 21 10.9%
  • Yes. Bring back Princess Jasmine's original costume but continue contact w/guests.

Votes: 133 68.9%
  • No. Keep Princess Jasmine's new costume and continue contact w/guests.

Votes: 20 10.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 9.8%

• Total voters

JohnHangen

Disney rule #1: The guest is never wrong. Ever.

See one of the recent discussions on flash photography inside dark rides. Disney believes in looking the other way, and having "faith in guest integrity."

Learn to think like Disney mgmt. If a CM is being interacted with inappropriately or harassed by a guest, it is not the guest's fault, but rather the costume provoking such behavior. The costume must be corrected.
The cast member was dressed like they wanted it?

morningstar

I chose "Other" because I feel the best option would be to start from scratch again. The new costume is hideous and barely resembles the character. A better option would be to return to the original design and tweak it for the comfort of the cast member. Add a flesh-tone panel (a la Ariel's mermaid costume) or extend the bra top into a bustier. I love the robes worn by Jasmine in other parks, and I'd also love to see her purple outfit from the movie. There are other options out there, and I sincerely hope they reevaluate the misguided need to reinvent the outfit entirely.

Yeah, the new outfit looks nothing like anything from the movie. There are any number of less-revealing outfits Jasmine wears in the movie. The purple engagement announcement dress, the white wedding dress, how about the rag outfit from when she snuck out of the palace? That would actually be the most appropriate outfit to wear alongside Aladdin's usual costume. In most other scenes she was in with Aladdin, he was in Prince Ali guise.

Siren

Original Poster
Considering they are drawing attention to what could be seen as a negative change, doubtful.

Just seems like a very super, super fan.
Hi @NearTheEars! I'm just your friendly above average girl who happens to be super hot and super intelligent with an ultra stylish wardrobe and bad whip to match -- who also just happens to love Disney. That's all.

I am the furthest thing from a super Disney fan -- my post count and history clearly demonstrate that.

And, you are absolutely right -- I do not work for Disney. You would have to be like Dead or something to believe something like that.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Hi @NearTheEars! I'm just your friendly above average girl who happens to be super hot and super intelligent with an ultra stylish wardrobe and bad whip to match -- who also just happens to love Disney. That's all.

I am the furthest thing from a super Disney fan -- my post count and history clearly demonstrate that.

And, you are absolutely right -- I do not work for Disney. You would have to be like Dead or something to believe something like that.
Or just someone with some common sense....

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer

Er, let just stick to the facts, yeah?

Siren

Original Poster
Or just someone with some common sense....
Or not. Hi @wm49rs! I'm so glad you're here this morning. So, what's your opinion on Jasmine's new costume? I just have to know what you voted for!

Also, did you see my brand new compelling thread on Disney versus the union and dancing and stuff?

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Or not. Hi @wm49rs! I'm so glad you're here this morning. So, what's your opinion on Jasmine's new costume? I just have to know what you voted for!

Also, did you see my brand new compelling thread on Disney versus the union and dancing and stuff?

Umm no, thats why I'm ignoring your posts now. Too many "tempest in a teapot" opinion polls for topics that can only be addressed by the Disney Company Parks unit. Nothing new, just rehashing known quantities or cross posting from other sites.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member

You and TWDC both will have to learn to deal with disappointment....

AndyS2992

Yeah, the new outfit looks nothing like anything from the movie. There are any number of less-revealing outfits Jasmine wears in the movie. The purple engagement announcement dress, the white wedding dress, how about the rag outfit from when she snuck out of the palace? That would actually be the most appropriate outfit to wear alongside Aladdin's usual costume. In most other scenes she was in with Aladdin, he was in Prince Ali guise.
They actually have the 'rag' or disguise outfit, they only use it in Winter though. It's also blue rather than brown.

walt-disney-world-magic-kingdom-aladdin-and-jasmine-valentines-day-2014-13.jpg

Siren

Original Poster
I'm fine with a more modest/formal looking Jasmine, but that dress just looks awful.

Why not something more like this?
10f629b40cb2511f77ce567ebe54c24f.jpg
princess-jasmine_75129_1_med.jpg
Hi @epcotWSC! This looks like an off the rack prom dress from Macy's or something. It's a classic case of exceptional model in an average dress. The model carries this dress instead of the other way around. With that said, it is a gorgeous dress and I love that hue of purple.

And, thanks so much for posting the side by side comparison pics. I love Jasmine's purple dress too, I didn't even remember this!

That new outfit is disgusting, doesn't look anything like her.

They should really just bring the Tokyo Disney outfit over,
tumblr_lz481hmoWJ1r735x6o1_500.jpg

I'm sure the jacket thing would make the CM a little more comfortable.
Hi @AndyS2992! Wow, thank you so much for posting this pic. I love this costume. It's totally over the top and I love all the bling everywhere, too. I would love for WDW to use Tokyo Disney Jasmine's costume instead.

Er, let just stick to the facts, yeah?
Hi @xdan0920! Um, those are the facts. But, I also agree with you. I am only here to present facts and to discuss Disney, but some people think I am a brand advocate for Disney or something. And, you already know that's just absurd. I don't work for Disney. LOL.

Do we actually have documented cases of guests behaving like creeps with Jasmine? People are so disgusting. These girls are at work and it's not like you're going to get anywhere with them acting like a creep. What is wrong with people?
Hi @Chef Mickey! These are great questions and thanks for asking. So far, none of the allegations have been confirmed.

Last edited:

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Hi @xdan0920! Um, those are the facts. But, I also agree with you. I am only here to present facts and to discuss Disney, but some people think I am a brand advocate for Disney or something. And, you already know that's just absurd. I don't work for Disney. LOL.
Can you post a picture of yourself looking so super hot and super stylish? Just so we have a baseline to judge your fashion sense....

Siren

Original Poster
They actually have the 'rag' or disguise outfit, they only use it in Winter though. It's also blue rather than brown.

walt-disney-world-magic-kingdom-aladdin-and-jasmine-valentines-day-2014-13.jpg
Wow! It looks so comfy like a Snuggie with ornate beading. Okay, ax the ornate beading part. Just beads or something. But yeah, I totally get that it's only for the winter. It's okay, I guess

Anyway, thanks so much for posting the pic.

Can you post a picture of yourself looking so super hot and super stylish? Just so we have a baseline to judge your fashion sense....
LOL, not on your life. And, you totally forgot super intelligent. I would have been so impressed if you had asked for a picture of my brain. Or, at least my grades in school, test scores or something like that. Anyway, I don't expect you to believe it at all but it's totally true.

You and TWDC both will have to learn to deal with disappointment....
I will never be disappointed as long as you are here.

Okay so, let's back on topic.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Wow! It looks so comfy like a Snuggie with ornate beading. Okay, ax the ornate beading part. Just beads or something. But yeah, I totally get that it's only for the winter. It's okay, I guess

Anyway, thanks so much for posting the pic.

LOL, not on your life. And, you totally forgot super intelligent. I would have been so impressed if you had asked for a picture of my brain. Or, at least my grades in school, test scores or something like that. Anyway, I don't expect you to believe it at all but it's totally true.

I will never be disappointed as long as you are here.

Okay so, let's back on topic.
I didn't think you would, bro.

Siren

Original Poster
I didn't think you would, bro.

I don't care what you think. I am totally proud to be 100% female from birth. I really don't get the bro comment, because there is no man who can write like me, not one. I can easily call you a diva with all this snarkiness, but I don't care.

I honestly believe these comments stem from a combination of limited exposure to certain types of women and also preconceived notions on how a woman should conduct or behave herself on this forum. I guess I should only be consumed with making dining reservations and hoping dear hubs and kids will be okay with Be Our Guest for lunch. Ugh. Just move on.

rufio

Remember the Tiger incident a few years ago, just because they have a CM there as well, doesn't always protect the performer from Guest being plain stupid. Most times it goes unreported. As for the costume i agree, it's even cheaper material than what they sell you for 100+. I think it's decent and I don't have much of an opinion of the costume, i think the old one was fine but it's a cultural thing, if she truly was in the Ottoman empire, not even her hair would have been allowed to be shown, yet again, it's a touchy subject that honestly I don't want to have an opinion on.

Sorry for the late reply but when has Disney EVER accurately represented fashion from the time periods of films? This really makes me angry. Instead of teaching people not to be inappropriate we put Jasmine in a turtleneck and long sleeves. :mad:

Pixie VaVoom

OMG That is just an Awful costume !! it is not evocative of the character at all ! I realize that the primary costume in the film is not any where near authentic historical ethnic dress, but I still hate that outfit. I actually bellydance as a hobby, and have a degree in costume design, and there ares definitely other options for modest coverage. When it comes right down to it, NOT all bellydancers have to show their midriff. At a size 22 - I wear a hip length tunic, or a colorful gauzey drape myself...(too many Mickey Premium bars and dole whips - but hey - I am enjoying life while I exercise.) But there are other options. There are chain maille and jeweled belly drapes that apron down the front - where your top leaves off. Gorgeous !! The Bellydance community (for the most part) is a lot more body accepting and size friendly - they have even marketed "belly stockings" - leotard like sheath tubes to cover the midriff between the top and bottom of the costume, and they come in all kinds of shades and colors, even bejeweled and lacey. Because you never know - some women have had abdomenal surgeries, or have a lot of stretch mark scars. Why should they not perform and feel good about how they look.

I really wish they would re-think this costume. It makes even these young lithe creatures look frumpy!! just my opinion.

EvilQueen-T

I don't like it when they change them from how they looked in their movies. Her look has been fine since it premiered in 1992 and it's still fine today. Hate the new burka look on top of it looking cheap and ill fitted. Like a knock off from a costume shop you'd find under "arabian princess".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom