POLL: Should Disney bring back Princess Jasmine's original costume and ban contact with guests?

Should Disney bring back Princess Jasmine's original costume and ban physical contact with guests?

• Yes. Bring back Princess Jasmine's original costume and ban contact w/guests.

Votes: 21 10.9%
  • Yes. Bring back Princess Jasmine's original costume but continue contact w/guests.

Votes: 133 68.9%
  • No. Keep Princess Jasmine's new costume and continue contact w/guests.

Votes: 20 10.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 9.8%

• Total voters

KikoKea

Hate to say it, but I've seen little girls walking around WDW in better looking princess dresses. Looks like a turtleneck under a jumper-style dress with a cheap belt. I'm sure they could have come up with something better, although I understand why they would want to make her costume more conservative.

GVentola

I have a photo of me posing with Aladdin and Genie instead of Jasmine. It was taken several years ago. They could go back to that.

Chef Mickey

I think the new costume could have been designed a bit better but both give off the appearance of Jasmine. Once again though we have a few inappropriate guests spoiling things for everyone else. I hope that "Jasmine" doesn't have any other inappropriate contact and that this outfit makes her feel safer.
Sorry, but I totally disagree. It's generic and nothing like her movie attire. Since they typically use white girls with bronzer, I challenge people to even recognize who this is supposed to be a good portion of the time.

Brad Bishop

The new dress looks like a $5 Halloween costume. The old costume was indeed very revealing, but still covered more than you can see at Blizzard Beach on a daily basis.

If adults are getting handsy with Jasmine, kick them out for an actual crime. Don't put professional performers in silly, I'll fitting dress up suits.

That's the thing. The problem isn't the original costume and the choice shouldn't be: new costume or hands off!

Just kick out the guests who are behaving badly. Done.

I think the costume is pretty cute, it could be a really nice winter outfit with some alterations.

That being said, I don't think a costume should have to be changed solely because guests can't keep their hands to themselves....that's not the cast member's fault. No matter what someone is wearing, if someone has no concept of personal space, they'll find some way to be gross :/ If CMs are being harassed, then Disney needs to come down harder on them. If you're gonna be gross to people trying to do their (child-oriented, no less) job, then you should be ejected. There's no excuse for that kind of behavior, especially at Disney world of all places.

oceanbreeze77

I dont like the new look. Too frumpy... it spoils the way Jasmine looks, doesnt help her catch the fun loving nature of the character. If guests are doing something inappropriate when coming in contact with Jasmine, Disney should be in control and penalize those guests. Jasmines presence in any costume or any CM's look shouldnt give anyone permission to disrespect them or cross over the line on decent behavior. No one should have to tolerate bad behavior even from vacationing idiots.
I agree with this, however, every girl who has complaints about the job has a line of 100 others out the door who disney could hire in their place.

Demeter Tess

I chose "Other" because I feel the best option would be to start from scratch again. The new costume is hideous and barely resembles the character. A better option would be to return to the original design and tweak it for the comfort of the cast member. Add a flesh-tone panel (a la Ariel's mermaid costume) or extend the bra top into a bustier. I love the robes worn by Jasmine in other parks, and I'd also love to see her purple outfit from the movie. There are other options out there, and I sincerely hope they reevaluate the misguided need to reinvent the outfit entirely.

jasmine1.jpg jasmine2.jpg

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I, too, voted other. I didn't like the old costume, I don't like the new costume.

I agree with @Demeter Tess. I like the robe costume, or think they should choose the purple dress. Both far more canon, both look better on various body types (as the costume is not tailored to the specific "friend", this means something that looks good on one person, off the rack, may not look nearly as good, in fact, can be frumpy, on someone else...even if they are of similar heights and dimensions.

They need to scrap it and start from scratch.

As far as contact with Guests, sorry, that comes with the job. If you want more between you and the guests, then don't go for a face character, instead, hide inside a costume. I've done it. Trust me, Guests will still find a way to do...interesting...things to you, even when you have a foam fat suit with a hula hoop for girth and a plastic head on.

I'd be curious how many times in a day Gaston gets asked to show off/feel his muscles? Meh...

Mind you, I'm not saying inappropriate contact isn't inappropriate...just that no contact isn't the answer.

Last edited:
I chose "Other" because I feel the best option would be to start from scratch again. The new costume is hideous and barely resembles the character. A better option would be to return to the original design and tweak it for the comfort of the cast member. Add a flesh-tone panel (a la Ariel's mermaid costume) or extend the bra top into a bustier. I love the robes worn by Jasmine in other parks, and I'd also love to see her purple outfit from the movie. There are other options out there, and I sincerely hope they reevaluate the misguided need to reinvent the outfit entirely.

View attachment 159332 View attachment 159333

I like this idea....and that first outfit attached is gorgeous!! I'd love to see Jasmine wearing that one more often (though I imagine that's not always feasible because...Orlando)

Jenifurby

I showed my 5 year old daughter some pictures of the new Jasmine. She was able to recognize her right away. I asked her how did she know it was Jasmine, to which she replied, "Because of her hair." I asked which outfit she liked better and she said, "Both of them." Then I asked why did she think Jasmine changed her outfit and she said, "Maybe the old one was itchy." I'm guessing she never noticed the bare midriff and décolletage.

Donillary Crumpton

I'd say you punish guests severely for inappropriate behaviour rather than changing costumes.
Disney rule #1: The guest is never wrong. Ever.

See one of the recent discussions on flash photography inside dark rides. Disney believes in looking the other way, and having "faith in guest integrity."

Learn to think like Disney mgmt. If a CM is being interacted with inappropriately or harassed by a guest, it is not the guest's fault, but rather the costume provoking such behavior. The costume must be corrected.

Sorry, but I totally disagree. It's generic and nothing like her movie attire. Since they typically use white girls with bronzer, I challenge people to even recognize who this is supposed to be a good portion of the time.

While I agree it looks nothing like her movie attire what I believe is representational of her outfit are the details on it. I myself hate the new outfit but I just believe that there are still enough redeeming details to bring the character to life.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom