POLL: Should Disney bring back Princess Jasmine's original costume and ban contact with guests?

Should Disney bring back Princess Jasmine's original costume and ban physical contact with guests?

• Yes. Bring back Princess Jasmine's original costume and ban contact w/guests.

Votes: 21 10.9%
  • Yes. Bring back Princess Jasmine's original costume but continue contact w/guests.

Votes: 133 68.9%
  • No. Keep Princess Jasmine's new costume and continue contact w/guests.

Votes: 20 10.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 9.8%

• Total voters

Siren

Original Poster
Wow! Good morning and Happy Labor Day to everyone! You all are just so awesome. I really enjoyed reading all of the comments and I'm glad to see that all viewpoints are represented here. Yay!

The poll results are very interesting.
  • 68% - voted to bring back Jasmine's original costume and keep the meet & greet
  • 14% - voted to keep Jasmine's new costume and the meet and greet
  • 10% - voted to bring back Jasmine's original costume and ban contact with guests
  • 8% - voted other

It suggests that the majority here don't feel that the circumstances surrounding Jasmine's original costume warrant the recent change.

The poll also reveals that more people value character interaction over the historical accuracy of costumes and overall appearance of Disney's face characters.

Thank you to everyone who participated in the poll.

Last edited:

Siren

Original Poster
Unless we know for sure that the costume was changed because of inappropriate guests, then I say why ban contact? I liked the old costume a LOT more but if Disney had a good reason to change it, why revert back?
Hi @maroonmol! The reaction to Jasmine's costume change is over the top, to say the least. So, I guess I was just trying to identify a compromise of sorts to keep Jasmine in her original costume.

I figured that Disney could just eliminate the meet and greet and have Princess Jasmine take on more of a celebrity persona -- where she comes out with her entourage and just poses for pictures and sign autographs throughout the day.

But, I see that wasn't necessary because guests are willing to compromise on the costume as long as they can interact with the characters.

Siren

Original Poster
I chose "Other" because I feel the best option would be to start from scratch again. The new costume is hideous and barely resembles the character. A better option would be to return to the original design and tweak it for the comfort of the cast member. Add a flesh-tone panel (a la Ariel's mermaid costume) or extend the bra top into a bustier. I love the robes worn by Jasmine in other parks, and I'd also love to see her purple outfit from the movie. There are other options out there, and I sincerely hope they reevaluate the misguided need to reinvent the outfit entirely.

View attachment 159332 View attachment 159333
Hi @Demeter Tess! These are really great suggestions and thanks so much posting the pics of Jasmine's robe. I think it's beautiful!

Chef Mickey

Do we actually have documented cases of guests behaving like creeps with Jasmine? People are so disgusting. These girls are at work and it's not like you're going to get anywhere with them acting like a creep. What is wrong with people?

My 2 cents is that the original Jasmine costume could have been done with some additional regular and sheer fabric over the stomach (like the girls costume version is) and less like a straight up belly dancer. I get that she was drawn in a belly dancer outfit in the movie, but a middle eastern princess of that era would never dress that way. So something in the middle would suit.

That being said, this new dress is just meh. It hangs wrong on her body type and just isn't flattering. Also, it's not the right color.

MMFanCipher

I'm sorry, it isn't the costumes fault. If people are acting inappropriately toward a friend of Jasmine, Ariel or Tarzan then they need to be
kicked out of the parks. I wouldn't even be against a life time ban. Self-control and respect for others seems to be in short supply now
as days.

mikenatcity1

This is what you get when you move costuming out of DHS. I actually don't even know if that is true but it sounds good. #thanksshanghai

A few of my friends at dinner last night said the same thing- blame Shanghai :) Again, don't know if it's true, but it felt good (especially with how cheap the costume is).

Flyersgirl17

the dress is hideous!!!!! it seriously doesn't look like her. if it's modesty thing then like other people mentioned, add the shear paneling. a lot of children's costumes have that. or maybe take her out of the meet and greets all together and just have abu & genie. or take jasmine out of norway and put tiana there or merdia. yuck i seriously hate that dress.

OliveMcFly

If inappropriate behavior is the cause for the change then it's a lazy solution. Make inappropriate guests responsible for their behavior. I've been victim to this kind of touching and I was completely covered in costume. I feel character attendants need to be more aware instead of handing out stickers to guests in line. I've had a lot of bad things happen to me due to poor guest behavior and no one was ever witness which is unfortunate.

blueboxdoctor

Didn't they also have a winter variation since her previous outfit would clearly get cold quickly (actually, I think a lot of characters have winter variations for their costumes)? At least that one looked like it had effort put into it, which is what it seems the bigger issue with this one is (it really doesn't look very professional). Perhaps another redesign would be best, at least to make it look up to the standards of the rest of the costumes throughout WDW.

jloucks

The new dress is fine, but not as recognizable as the original.

This whole thing reeks of trolling tho. I don't see how a costume modification will solve the inappropriate behavior issue. The CM's in these costumes are of the new generation that is even less modest than their predecessors. ...less likely to be uncomfortable in such an outfit. In fact, the attitude seems to be "if you don't like it, that's your problem", or "take responsibility for yourself, my outfit is not an excuse for you to be a sleeze".

So my theory, assuming this is not a troll and is real, is that it is not about the CM's being harassed, or even bad behavior. It is more likely about older people freaking about and complaining about her belly button showing.

epcotWSC

I'm fine with a more modest/formal looking Jasmine, but that dress just looks awful.

Why not something more like this?
10f629b40cb2511f77ce567ebe54c24f.jpg
princess-jasmine_75129_1_med.jpg

Rescue Ranger

That dress looks hideous and the character looks nothing like Jasmine. If they are going to put her in a new costume, then at the very least give her one of the ones used on-screen that covered her up more.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom