Poll Questions: Fly in the day of or Day before cruise?

Iceman09201

Original Poster
So Trying to decide on flights for an up coming cruise out of Port Canaveral do you fly in the day of or day before? I know people have done both and wonder opinions from people

Thanks!

Disneyfalcon

Oh my word. Day before. No question.

If your flight gets delayed, you can't always go late. You may have completely missed your vacation.

Our flight was delayed about one hour on our way to Denver and then Vancouver for our Alaska cruise. We missed our connection in Denver and couldn't get to Vancouver until the next day. We would have missed the cruise if it had been the day of.

This was the end of May. No snow, nothing. Just wind.

I read of another story where a family was flying from NYC and their plane had mechanical issues. By the time the airlines cancelled the flight, all the other flights were gone. They couldn't make it and missed their ship.

So day before. :)

tiaragirl

We lucked out in February - but we clearly were not thinking when we booked, either. I've always done a few days (at least) at Disney before a cruise, so when we flew into LAX "the day of" seemed to be the best option.

I was a nervous wreck.

I vote day before.

sweetpee_1993

Day before vote here, too. There's a bunch of things that could go wrong to delay or cancel flights. It only takes 1 to completely screw you out of your cruise. Besides just that, get in the day before, get a good nights sleep, then kick off cruise day feeling rested and raring to go. Sure beats getting up at the crack of dawn to catch an early flight then wear out early.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Always, always, under pain of death fly in the day before. Far too many things can go wrong with a flight that will land you there hours to a day late.

Crush Dude!

Back from WDW!Counting down to DLP in November!
Day before without a doubt, airline are just too unreliable to risk possibly your entire cruise!!

RobnRachal

First time we left same day and we were so exhausted we didn't enjoy our first day like we could have.
Second time we the left day before and we will always do so from now on. So much more relaxed and worry free!
Speaking of which I should maybe book the hotel for next March:)

jme

Aside from the delays/cancellations, flying in the day before affords you some relaxation. Flew in the day of, which meant getting up before the sun to drive an hour to the airport to be there 90 minutes before the flight, then the flight, landing an hours drive away from the port, then standing in queue for probably an hour (because we came after/during "the rush") to wait around some more before finally getting on the ship and we were just exhausted.

Flying in the day before, we were in no rush. Casually had a meal before heading to our hotel (Hampton Inn Coco Beach) which offered a shuttle service and breakfast in the AM. Got to the port nice and early and basically walked in and onto the ship with only a few minutes of waiting around. A much more relaxing way to start your cruise!

Phonedave

Another day-before person here.

I have never been delayed when flying into a cruise (3 of them), but I have been delayed on many, many, other flights. Enough times to NEVER attempt to fly in on the day of.

-dave

ChuckElias

I've always done a few days (at least) at Disney before a cruise, so when we flew into LAX "the day of" seemed to be the best option.

I was a nervous wreck.

I vote day before.
I agree with this completely. My family is the same way: always in WDW for a few days before the cruise. But when we did the Mexican Riviera, we got up at 3 am and flew in to LA that morning. My day went fine.

My sister's family, however, slept through their alarm and missed their flight. They had to scramble to buy new airfare to LA that morning and it was a nightmare. They made it, but it cost them literally thousands of extra dollars.

If we'd all just flown out the night before and stayed at the Disneyland hotel :) there wouldn't have been a problem.

Iceman09201

Original Poster
Okay my next question would be, To take DCL transfer from the hotel to port or go back to the airport and catch the DCL transfer there?

jme

The DCL transfers from the airport leave earlier, and they have the advanced check-in - which is why some people opt to go that route. Less time in the terminal, on the boat earlier.
I guess it depends on your travelling party, because keep in mind you won't be able to access your stateroom until 2-3pm, and luggage sometimes even later. So if you are travelling with little ones that can become more of a hassle than a blessing to get on the ship super early.
Just adults (or with older kids) though, I think it works best for. You can get on board early, eat some lunch have a few drinks and get in the pool or ride the AquaDuck while people are still queueing up to get into the terminal.

ChuckElias

So if you are travelling with little ones that can become more of a hassle than a blessing to get on the ship super early.
Just have the little ones wear their bathing suits under their clothes. Then as soon as you finish lunch, they can strip off the shirt and shorts and jump in the Mickey pool.

If your little ones are even littler than that, make sure you have a fully loaded diaper bag with you when you board, b/c as JME said, you won't get to your luggage until after 2 pm.

Phonedave

Okay my next question would be, To take DCL transfer from the hotel to port or go back to the airport and catch the DCL transfer there?

What hotel are you thinking of staying at?

The hotel at the airport has, as was said, early check in and transfer busses.

If you are staying somewhere else in the MCO area, you could go back to the airport and then catch a transfer, but you will not have early check in.

If you are staying at a WDW property, you can catch a DCL transfer from there - but it will be a bit later in the day.

Of course you could also stay at a hotel in the Port Caneveral area and create your own transportation. When you get to 4 or 5 people in your party, private transportation becomes cheaper.

-dave

Iceman09201

Original Poster
What hotel are you thinking of staying at?

The hotel at the airport has, as was said, early check in and transfer busses.

If you are staying somewhere else in the MCO area, you could go back to the airport and then catch a transfer, but you will not have early check in.

If you are staying at a WDW property, you can catch a DCL transfer from there - but it will be a bit later in the day.

Of course you could also stay at a hotel in the Port Caneveral area and create your own transportation. When you get to 4 or 5 people in your party, private transportation becomes cheaper.

-dave

Why would the hotel onsite at the airport only offer early check in that doesn't make sense. I thought if you cought the DCL transfer at the airport you checked in for your cruise at the airport if you wanted.

RandeB

We stayed at a hotel down the street, flying in the evening before. Certainly a big difference in stress than worrying about everything going without a hitch.

Played mini-golf, had a swim, breakfast, etc before a short drive over to the boat. (Also kept a car at the hotel, cheaper parking than at Disney's port).

wilkeliza

Day before no questions asked.

I did a cruise last year where we flew in day of and we had massive delays. We were 30 minutes shy of missing the boat completely. I was so angry at the airline because we were at Jetblue's national hub so you would think they could just get one of the few spare planes they have there but all their spare planes were already in use that day. We were over 3 houres delayed that morning thus running all our lunch plans with family before the cruise. We had to speed from the airport to the ship yard.

Phonedave

Why would the hotel onsite at the airport only offer early check in that doesn't make sense. I thought if you cought the DCL transfer at the airport you checked in for your cruise at the airport if you wanted.

But not as early as the hotel.

My understanding is that the hotel has busses "ready to go" while the DCL check in is more like DME, they will send out a bus when it is full or has been waiting long enough.

You will have *remote* check in, but it is likely you will not get there as *early* as if you stayed at the hotel. Or so I am lead to believe.

-dave

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom