Poll: Is Galaxy’s Edge Great(and a success)?

Is Galaxy’s Edge Great (and a success)?

• Yes to both

Votes: 54 32.5%
  • No to both

Votes: 40 24.1%
  • Yes to great, no to success

Votes: 19 11.4%
  • No to great, yes to success

Votes: 53 31.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
So are they about to introduce OT characters here and dump the timeline? Or is something different afoot?

Galactic Starcruiser is hurting bad... they need to do something to keep that afloat and as much as that hotel is tied to the sequel trilogy, I don't think they can change the Starcruiser without also changing Galaxy's edge... they have themself in quite the predicament.

EPCOT-O.G.

A made-up location that looks good visually but lacks... a lot. Rise is great, for what it is. The rest is a case study of what NOT to do with a franchise in a theme park. A mediocre ride for an iconic ship. Some assorted props that may or may not be familiar to many fans. Random character appearances of characters that have little to do with the franchise's original success. Then there's shopping, shopping, a quick serve location, shopping, shopping, a too-small restaurant, shopping, shopping, and shopping. Did I forget to mention shopping? They have that, too.

Good thing Disney has been a great steward of the Star Wars franchise. :rolleyes:
Past me, to future me: “So there’s going to be a Millennium Falcon ride? Do you do one of the Death Star missions?”

Future me, wincing: “It’s more of a side quest kind of thing.”

_caleb

Past me, to future me: “So there’s going to be a Millennium Falcon ride? Do you do one of the Death Star missions?”

Future me, wincing: “It’s more of a side quest kind of thing.”
Current me: “And if it was a Death Star mission, you’d complain about them re-hashing the same stuff over and over again and why can’t they do anything new?”

Vegas Disney Fan

Current me: “And if it was a Death Star mission, you’d complain about them re-hashing the same stuff over and over again and why can’t they do anything new?”
Agreed but this has an easy solution, make it random like Star Tours, this ride has so much potential but as long as they keep it a single mission it will quickly become boring, and that’s true no matter what that mission is.

Casper Gutman

Straw men make arguments easy!

Maybe the real "rehashing" problem is that Disney built a second Star Wars flight simulator at MGM that was vastly inferior to the excellent original? It's ALMOST like the ride is flawed on the conceptual level.

Casper Gutman

Fair. Almost like the icon was bigger than the idea.
I remember Disney announcing that the ride was necessary because every fan wanted to fly the Falcon. But... I don't think they do. The Falcon is kind of garbage. That's one of the OT's main running gags. It's "cool" because of Han and Chewie and the story beats with which it was associated, not on its own merits. A lot of fans want to WALK THROUGH the Falcon. If they want to FLY a ship, its an X-Wing or TIE Fighter, which is why so many video games have been produced with that as the central element. To the best of my knowledge, of the many, many SW games produced, none center on flying the Falcon.

The ride and the PR push behind it seem like a glaring illustration of how Disney misunderstood the property.

Jobacca

So this definitely ties into the news that broke today about the Starcruiser cancelling several dates during the summer peak due to low attendance. The way I see it,they have a few options.

1. Lower the Price. And maybe trim the fat. This experience is absolutely out of the price range of most families. The current pricing structure is not sustainable long-term and everyone has said that from the very beginning. Drop the price,and maybe cut some of the story elements to save money.

2. Re-theme. I know a lot of older fans want this,but I dont honestly see it happening. For whatever reason,the entire Galaxys Edge experience was set between two of the least popular recent films. They seem to be stuck with that timeline unless the company decides to change a major part of the Galaxys Edge story. Maybe they could offer special themed nights on board the Starcruiser? Like a dinner theater with rotating storylines. One week could be a story set in the Mandalorian timeline with those characters appearing. One could be set in the Prequels/Clone Wars era. One could be the Original Trilogy. And while it wouldnt keep with the LARPing element,maybe bring in the actors from the movies and TV shows for meet and greets and autograph signings like they did with Star Wars Weekends. A CLONE WARS themed two-night excursion on the Starcruiser with Clone Troopers and Anakin and Obi-Wan and then a Captains Table like dinner with someone like Ashley Eckstein posing for photos and talking to fans would absolutely drum up interest. Even still-LOWER THE PRICE!

3. Make the Starcruiser into something else. Get rid of the Hotel angle entirely and make it an exclusive sit-down restaurant with shows and entertainment that hosts 1 or 2 large groups a day. Something like The Magic Castle in Los Angeles or one a Medieval Times style restaurant/entertainment venue with an upcharge.

Thats just a few ideas off the top of my head. Dont know if any of that would be doable but clearly Di$ney is going to have to address the Rancor in the room at some point.

DisneyDebRob

It's similar to Pandora. One great ride. One not so great. I would give the edge to GE, though, as there is more "atmosphere" and other things to do.
I’ll disagree just for arguments sake.🙂
I so much prefer FoP over Rise. Both other 2 rides got me on once and don’t plan on going again so they are a wash. I’ll take Satu’Li over any of the food offerings in GE. If I want an adult beverage I’ll go to the Nomad Lounge before Oga’s. Ok, not technically in Pandora but it’s so much better. I also prefer the lush surroundings rather than the bare surroundings in GE. All personal choice of course.

JohnD

I’ll disagree just for arguments sake.🙂
I so much prefer FoP over Rise. Both other 2 rides got me on once and don’t plan on going again so they are a wash. I’ll take Satu’Li over any of the food offerings in GE. If I want an adult beverage I’ll go to the Nomad Lounge before Oga’s. Ok, not technically in Pandora but it’s so much better. I also prefer the lush surroundings rather than the bare surroundings in GE. All personal choice of course.
I was going for FoP and Rise "Good", NRJ and MF "not so good." I agree Canteen has better food. It just seems there is more going on in GE with additional characters, Ogas, gift shop market, droid and light saber building, etc. Pandora could use more of that and with Cameron's new Avatar movies, the time is now.

_caleb

Straw men make arguments easy!

Maybe the real "rehashing" problem is that Disney built a second Star Wars flight simulator at MGM that was vastly inferior to the excellent original? It's ALMOST like the ride is flawed on the conceptual level.
I agree with you about the experience being inferior. But my "argument" isn't a straw man. I'm sure you've seen the Star Wars opinions around here--especially around the Force Awakens.

LSLS

Right. That was my point. If they did ANOTHER Death Star run (after the well-liked, long-lived version on Star Tours, don’t you think people would complain about them rehashing it?
Honestly, no. People like to say the negative people here always go negative, but there are examples where the people who bash a lot of things have given a lot of props for things done well (Kona Cafe for example). Most of those people WANT things to be good. Funny enough, there are much less of the "pixie dusters" bashing really bad things.

UNCgolf

Right. That was my point. If they did ANOTHER Death Star run (after the well-liked, long-lived version on Star Tours, don’t you think people would complain about them rehashing it?

I'm sure people would, but I don't think it would be the same people (with maybe a few exceptions).

Personally, I don't think they need to do something from the movies for Smuggler's Run. They just need something better/more interesting, or at least multiple options.

That said, I still think it was a flawed idea from the start. Too many people play video games now, and you can get a much better Star Wars flying experience from any number of games (some of which are decades old at this point). It's basically a poor video game propped up by actually sitting in the Millennium Falcon; I think an MF walkthrough combined with a separate attraction elsewhere would have been a better plan.

Last edited:

doctornick

Personally, I don't think they need to do something from the movies for Smuggler's Run. They just need something better/more interesting, or at least multiple options.

This. I think ultimately the issue is that the mission is kind of boring and repetitive. If they wanted to go with the interactivity, they needed to go to multiple places and/or make more distinct things happen as a response to your actions.

Ultimately the interactivity of the ride is a let down but I think a large park is because your “results” were supposed to impact other interactions in the land and all that stuff was cut. So they designed the ride with a premise in mind and then had the legs cut off from below.

That said, I still think it was a flawed idea from the start. Too many people play video games now, and you can get a much better Star Wars flying experience from any number of games (some of which are decades old at this point). It's basically a poor video game propped up by actually sitting in the Millennium Falcon; I think an MF walkthrough combined with a separate attraction elsewhere would have been a better plan.

Ironically, in the “cheap” early version of the land, I think they had just that with a walk through Millennium Falcon that ended with a M&G with Chewbacca in the cockpit. I actually agree that if they had used the MF for something like that plus had a different ride in the land instead of Smugglers Run, it would have been better.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom