Poll: Is Galaxy’s Edge Great(and a success)?

Is Galaxy’s Edge Great (and a success)?

• Yes to both

Votes: 54 32.5%
  • No to both

Votes: 40 24.1%
  • Yes to great, no to success

Votes: 19 11.4%
  • No to great, yes to success

Votes: 53 31.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ladybat2

It’s great but nowhere near Potter great
I agree totally even though I hate to. IMO Universal still out ranks any of the "lands" and "worlds" at WDW in regards to its Wizarding world of Harry Potter. I hope I live long enough to see Epic Universe completely finished with all its "worlds" open for business. When Universal hyped their ideas about the future Potter world the end result was exactly what they told the public we would get. I have never regretted a single penny I have spent at Universal parks. Always felt I got my money's worth. I used to feel that way about WDW. Not any more.

bhg469

I agree totally even though I hate to. IMO Universal still out ranks any of the "lands" and "worlds" at WDW in regards to its Wizarding world of Harry Potter. I hope I live long enough to see Epic Universe completely finished with all its "worlds" open for business. When Universal hyped their ideas about the future Potter world the end result was exactly what they told the public we would get. I have never regretted a single penny I have spent at Universal parks. Always felt I got my money's worth. I used to feel that way about WDW. Not any more.
Just drove by Epic Universe today.. so many cranes!!

UNCgolf

Maybe I'm too simplistic but it seems like when they open these mulit-billion dollar expansions they should have more than 2 rides. Even 3 or 4 would do it. I know the shopping, shows, things to see and restaurants are also a big part of the equation, but they need RIDES RIDES RIDES imo.

They don't even have shows or a table service restaurant in Galaxy's Edge, which is also part of the problem.

doctornick

admittedly not much of a Star Wars guy at all, besides the 2 rides, the Cantina bar, and a shop or two, what is there? Seems like not much for all that acreage and money.
There’s a lot more shops than one or two. But more importantly a significant portion of the land is devoted to extra paid offerings in the light saber and droid builds. Which reflects the biggest issue that a lot of space was allocated to extra ways to make money (though oddly not a table service restaurant) and “free” stuff like streetmosphere was cut.

The bones for an outstanding land are there. They need the cut entertainment, a sit down, and at least one more attraction (ideally one more ride and a show). Like much of what Disney has done in recent years, they’ve missed out on the complimentary features that “round out” a land.

Br0ckford

I read the comment as suggesting they aren't interested in including much streetmosphere/entertainment at SWGE because they want to push people to the Starcruiser for that experience.

I agree that the Starcruiser is tiny, though. It's just a few hundred people.
Most likely the case. The star cruiser is just not enough "star wars" for me to justify the cost. It just seems more space fighting to me. But then I'm not a sequel fan and it seems more geared to that fan base.

the_rich

I'm a big fan of the land. Rise is currently my favorite ride even though I'm not a huge star wars fan in general. I'm a fan of smugglers run as well; it's one of the only motion simulators that doesn't get me sick. Though I will say that they should add more missions. I also think they need to build a restaurant with a dinner show. A third attraction would also really help round the land out.

LSLS

I honestly have no idea how to answer. I've thought it was absolutely awful both times I went there during the day. Everything was packed, I couldn't find ANYTHING, couldn't even figure out how to walk around the area to see everything, and just didn't enjoy any of it. BUT, last time we went back towards the end of the night to ride ROTR (we had a LL since we were evacuated off earlier). I gave my pass to someone who came later with us, and I walked around the land at night about 45 minutes before closing. It was really cool. I don't know if it was because I could get into shops (and see what they were from the streets), get pictures, or it was just that I liked it at night, but that was far and away the only time I really enjoyed the area. So is it great? I guess it depends on when you go.

As for success, that's tough too. I'm honestly not sure it has added much to attendance, and I certainly don't think it's eaten up people like it probably needs to. In that case, no, it's probably a failure. BUT, I'd bet a lot of money that it brings in the most money of any area at any park in WDW. So from a financial aspect, I bet it is a success. Just depends on what the goals are for you personally.

BubbaisSleep

SWGE could have been way better for obvious reasons but I highly enjoy both of the rides in the land. Rise is amazing and since both of my rides on MF were in the pilot seat I have good memories of the ride. Sitting in front of the MF is amazing and the hummus meatball plate has become a favorite for my mother & I.

The best way I explain Wizards vs Jedi lands is that what if Universal decided to budget cut on all the cool free things that make both Wizarding lands unique and save them only for guests who are willing to pay a couple grand at their Wizarding World hotel. That's exactly what Galaxy's Edge is left with. At least Universal butters me up with a free Olivander show among other free entertainment before trying to sell me a wand, a wand which I can actually use in the land. Even Knockturn Alley is just more free indoor stuff for guests to do which is the magic that's missing in SWGE as areas feel dead and lifeless (especially around RISE). But ultimately if their lightsabers are selling out often despite the flaws, then I'm sure Disney considers SWGE a success.

Last edited:

OG Runner

It’s great but nowhere near Potter great

I have to disagree but not disagree. Both of the Potter "lands" are great. (Yes I have been to them and taken the Hogwart's Express both ways to get there.) I think Potter is more relatable since even though it is "magic" it has a old English feel to it. (more relatable) I do not
think any of us have been to an alien desert planet. I think the Galaxy Edge area is a good representation, including the forces prespective
used to make you feel like you are not in Florida any more. I do think they could use the addition of more atmosphere characters. I got picked out to be on stage with the singers in Diagon Alley and it was a blast.

IMDREW

I always feel excited walking through the tunnel, but the moment I step foot in the actual land it's just a big meh to me. For some reason it feels so dead inside. And unhappy/fun. I miss characters, music, adventure. The land looks like it's saying, come, explore. But there's not much to explore in the end. So I usually just walk the pathways and move on.

HoustonHorn

Premium Member
I always feel excited walking through the tunnel, but the moment I step foot in the actual land it's just a big meh to me. For some reason it feels so dead inside. And unhappy/fun. I miss characters, music, adventure. The land looks like it's saying, come, explore. But there's not much to explore in the end. So I usually just walk the pathways and move on.
It's really interesting that you say this, and I think you're on to something. Walking through the tunnel does build some excitement. But once you're through....well, you're in Resistance Forest, which is extremely lifeless other than the entrance to Rise and the Coke Cart. It takes until you turn the corner to get to the marketplace, where you finally have stalls and people and things to see and do.

Coming the other way is similar - there is a long plain path getting from TSL to the First Order Outpost.

So what you're left with is a very small footprint of things to see and do, much of which is extra cost (shopping stalls, Savi's, DD, Dok Ondar's) surrounded by empty-feeling buffer zones to keep "the real world" out.

UpAllNight

I have to disagree but not disagree. Both of the Potter "lands" are great. (Yes I have been to them and taken the Hogwart's Express both ways to get there.) I think Potter is more relatable since even though it is "magic" it has a old English feel to it. (more relatable) I do not
think any of us have been to an alien desert planet. I think the Galaxy Edge area is a good representation, including the forces prespective
used to make you feel like you are not in Florida any more. I do think they could use the addition of more atmosphere characters. I got picked out to be on stage with the singers in Diagon Alley and it was a blast.

A few other posters have managed to pinpoint it, and I echo their thoughts. It's the amount of fun you can have observing in the Potter lands & it's this energy that's missing in all of Disneys IP lands.

The rides in GE are incredible, and the design and scope are fantastic, but they oversold it. If it had half of the promised interactivity and well, life, roaming around, it would be a completely different experience. They can still fix this, I suppose, if there's the intent to do so.

But Universal are busy building their third attempt, and I suspect GE will result in a Potter land that is on a scale we've yet to see - so I'm ready to be blown away again!

GimpYancIent

They don't even have shows or a table service restaurant in Galaxy's Edge, which is also part of the problem.
Yes. A sit down, full-on themed restaurant with a dinner show would be a tremendous enhancement to Batuu. Have characters drift through periodically and interact with the guests on occasion. Should not have to go on the Star Cruiser for that.

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
It’s great and a success yet didn’t hit its potential. I agree with comments about the lack of a show, TS, streetmosphere, another ride, etc. Room for improvement but we were still impressed overall.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom